X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IUPalum
    replied
    Re: Iup basketball

That's a statement win tonight! I only saw the last 10 minutes b/c of my own coaching obligations but from I saw, it looked like the extra time off helped. Daunte playing, that was unexpected. I'm wondering if Joe's plan of adding someone fell through.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Huge W for IUP ... smothering D

74-59

Dante returned
    Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 12-19-2017, 08:38 PM.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Fairmont State's game preview:

http://fightingfalcons.com/news/2017...px?path=mbball

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    The ladies took down Geneva this morning, 125-53.

I checked the score the first time and it was 48-6.

Kind of odd to see Tom scheduling this type of opponent. Regardless, that improves the ladies to 10-0.

Up next: a trip to Gannon on Dec. 30.
    I tuned in for 2 seconds to see a 49-8 score. I turned it right off. I think Tom needed a willing opponent to play the day game. That has to be the reason.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied

A closer look at Fairmont State:

* All its losses have come on the road. All very close.
    * Lost at Findlay by 2 points and at West Liberty by 6 points.
    * Oddly, they seem to play worst against bad teams ... with a couple narrow wins over teams like Glenville State and WVW.
    * Best win: Wheeling Jesuit
    * Hitting about 38 percent from deep and they shoot a lot of treys
    * Glaring weakness on the stat sheet is at the free throw line ... hitting about 67 percent.
    * Rotation-wise (11) players average at least 10 minutes per game.
    * Haven't seen them press much in the games I've seen -- unlike last year
    * Not quite as big 1-8 as last year
    * PG Jason Jolley is extremely hard to guard and has an incredible first-step -- and will launch from anywhere

For IUP to win:

* Have to stay clean. Foul trouble will spell doom. Blake and Willem can't be lawn ornaments sitting on the bench.
    * Avoid the MEC pace. Control the tempo.
    * Joe's been talking zone. May not be a bad time. FSU has a tremendous speed advantage.
    * IUP will have a big size advantage in this game ... must win underneath. All those deep shots FSU takes .... the misses have long rebounds.
    * Bore them to death PSAC style. Long possessions. Get in to a sprint and IUP loses by 20 points.
    * If they go man .... I put Hutton on Jolley all night.
    * Play tough and physical
    * Vaughns has to play. They aren't winning this game with 6 players.
    * Control the turnovers ... much better the past two games.

This is a big game. With four losses before Santa comes ... it's a real big game. Time to win one of these ... this group has been in enough tight losses.
    Good work, I couldn't have said it better myself. Let's hope for the best!

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

A closer look at Fairmont State:

* All its losses have come on the road. All very close.
    * Lost at Findlay by 2 points and at West Liberty by 6 points.
    * Oddly, they seem to play worst against bad teams ... with a couple narrow wins over teams like Glenville State and WVW.
    * Best win: Wheeling Jesuit
    * Hitting about 38 percent from deep and they shoot a lot of treys
    * Glaring weakness on the stat sheet is at the free throw line ... hitting about 67 percent.
    * Rotation-wise (11) players average at least 10 minutes per game.
    * Haven't seen them press much in the games I've seen -- unlike last year
    * Not quite as big 1-8 as last year
    * PG Jason Jolley is extremely hard to guard and has an incredible first-step -- and will launch from anywhere

For IUP to win:

* Have to stay clean. Foul trouble will spell doom. Blake and Willem can't be lawn ornaments sitting on the bench.
    * Avoid the MEC pace. Control the tempo.
    * Joe's been talking zone. May not be a bad time. FSU has a tremendous speed advantage.
    * IUP will have a big size advantage in this game ... must win underneath. All those deep shots FSU takes .... the misses have long rebounds.
    * Bore them to death PSAC style. Long possessions. Get in to a sprint and IUP loses by 20 points.
    * If they go man .... I put Hutton on Jolley all night.
    * Play tough and physical
    * Vaughns has to play. They aren't winning this game with 6 players.
    * Control the turnovers ... much better the past two games.

This is a big game. With four losses before Santa comes ... it's a real big game. Time to win one of these ... this group has been in enough tight losses.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

http://iupathletics.com/news/2017/12...on-dec-19.aspx

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

The ladies took down Geneva this morning, 125-53.

I checked the score the first time and it was 48-6.

Kind of odd to see Tom scheduling this type of opponent. Regardless, that improves the ladies to 10-0.

Up next: a trip to Gannon on Dec. 30.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied

Hopefully. Program needs a jolt. Nobody is talking about it around town at all.

IUP men's bball hasn't posted a new tweet in over a week. You'd never know there was a huge game here Tuesday night.

IHS boys have a big home game Tuesday as well so that won't help matters.
    What a shame... you'd think they'd be promoting the heck out of this game!

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Hopefully. Program needs a jolt. Nobody is talking about it around town at all.

IUP men's bball hasn't posted a new tweet in over a week. You'd never know there was a huge game here Tuesday night.

IHS boys have a big home game Tuesday as well so that won't help matters.
    Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 12-17-2017, 07:20 PM.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied

Will there be any big news out of Indiana this week?

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied

Give vaughns playing time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Regardless ... not a good conversation to be having in mid-December.

The depth is going to really get pushed against Fairmont. Luckily, from the couple games I've watched them, they don't press as much under their new coach.

They really go with Jason Jolle (PG). When he's on he's deadly. They aren't nearly as big as last season but still awfully good.

They have real close losses to Findlay and West Liberty (8 points combined). But they have a couple real close wins (Millersville, for one). I'm very interested to see what Cal does against them on Saturday. Like every other team that comes here, I fully expect to get their best shot.

There's very little buzz around town for this game. Last year they really tried to hype it.

Leave a comment:

• IUP CRIMSON HAWKS
    replied

Justin Weldon in the low post ... defensive substitution. That would be interesting.

Tort may not let any current players join the team but the 20 who just left ... I have no doubt there's some basketball players there. They have a solid six players. Most of us think they have seven. Joe doesn't seem to agree on Vaughns right now. Maybe Tort could put the big WR, JoJo Gause, on loan.

What's the harm in adding some depth. Allen Wright could be Brandon Spain 2.0

Talking out loud, of course, but it couldn't hurt.
    I'm not sure if there is really a precedent for IUP football players playing on the hoops team to be honest. I'm having a hard time really thinking of any. We know that hoops G Eddie Peterson joined the IUP football team one season. I think years ago (late 1960s-early 1970s) the WR Dave Smith played both. He would later play for the Steelers.

Yeah, Allen Wright would be one of the top names for me. Mongoose quick. But it is tough to make that transition at this level I would imagine. I once had a friend who could masterfully play a dozen or so musical instruments. I asked him one time why he never sang. He started to sing and Goodness he was a horrible singer. Just because you can do one thing well doesn't mean you can do the other stuff. Talent at this level is pretty rarefied air to breathe.

-

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

That's usually grades. Injuries keep you on the roster.

Same thing happened with Seton Hill's best player last year.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X