X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Golden89
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

More of an inside joke ... the West for years and years was famous for having games played in the 50s.
    For some schools (JR Gannon) a game in the 50s was a track meet. Gannon is going to score points this year. Played well this weekend despite missing two starters in Braden Olesen and Chris Clancy. Should be fun. We deserve it after last year.

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied
    Basketball attendance is off to a, well, awful start. Some got stuck with the dreaded Thanksgiving break home dates, which almost always draw terrible.

SCHOOL AVERAGE PER HOME GAME
    IUP 1,208
    UPJ 669
    Mercyhurst 473
    West Chester 433
    Millersville 417
    Shippensburg 375
    Gannon 372
    California 326
    Shepherd 309
    Kutztown 295
    Edinboro 257
    Slippery Rock 244
    Clarion 217
    Lock Haven 193
    Mansfield 168
    Seton Hill 155
    Bloomsburg 133
    ESU No home games yet
    I'll give IUP credit for drawing more than the average at a good facility. Not much to choose among the rest. Student support has waned over the years, and I don't think Covid is helping this season, especially if this Omicron variant turns into a thing. Ship has a weird schedule. After this weekend's Mercyhurst-Gannon doubleheader, the Raiders are done at home until Jan. 2.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    UPJ (men) took a tough loss last night out at Malone, 102-84.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Basketball attendance is off to a, well, awful start. Some got stuck with the dreaded Thanksgiving break home dates, which almost always draw terrible.

SCHOOL AVERAGE PER HOME GAME
    IUP 1,208
    UPJ 669
    Mercyhurst 473
    West Chester 433
    Millersville 417
    Shippensburg 375
    Gannon 372
    California 326
    Shepherd 309
    Kutztown 295
    Edinboro 257
    Slippery Rock 244
    Clarion 217
    Lock Haven 193
    Mansfield 168
    Seton Hill 155
    Bloomsburg 133
    ESU No home games yet

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied

More of an inside joke ... the West for years and years was famous for having games played in the 50s.
    Got it.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Those averages likely will drop when they start playing each other.

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied
    Here's a stat the old-time West fans probably never thought they'd see ...

The top-scoring PSAC teams as of today are all in the West.

1. IUP - 95.6 ppg
    2. Cal - 91.0 ppg
    3. Mercyhurst - 89.6 ppg
    4. Gannon - 87.8 ppg
    5. UPJ - 86.8 ppg
    6. SRU - 86.0 ppg

Long way since JR and KR having boxing matches to the tune of 41-37, and Mercyhurst was winning shootouts, 38-33.
    Those averages likely will drop when they start playing each other.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Here's a stat the old-time West fans probably never thought they'd see ...

The top-scoring PSAC teams as of today are all in the West.

1. IUP - 95.6 ppg
    2. Cal - 91.0 ppg
    3. Mercyhurst - 89.6 ppg
    4. Gannon - 87.8 ppg
    5. UPJ - 86.8 ppg
    6. SRU - 86.0 ppg

Long way since JR and KR having boxing matches to the tune of 41-37, and Mercyhurst was winning shootouts, 38-33.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Slippery Rock just lost at Charleston, 78-72.

SRU is likely the 6th or 7th team in the West this year and Charleston is picked very high in the MEC.

It is going to be a wild winter.

Joe said this is the best West of his tenure.
    Reminds me of 2003 through 2005 where it was a dogfight at the top.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Updated (Men's) Standings (through games completed 11/28)

West
    IUP 5-0
    Mercyhurst 5-0
    California 4-1
    Clarion 4-1
    UPJ 4-1
    Gannon 3-1
    Edinboro 2-1
    Slippery Rock 3-2
    Seton Hill 0-5
    EAST
    West Chester 5-0
    Millersville 4-0
    Lock Haven 3-0
    Shepherd 4-1
    Shippensburg 2-2
    Kutztown 2-3
    Bloomsburg 1-3
    East Stroudsburg 0-3
    Mansfield 0-4

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    UPJ up (9) on VSU with 7 mins left.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Slippery Rock just lost at Charleston, 78-72.

SRU is likely the 6th or 7th team in the West this year and Charleston is picked very high in the MEC.

It is going to be a wild winter.

Joe said this is the best West of his tenure.

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied
    Originally posted by jrshooter View Post
    Carlos Carter is playing at a very high level right now.

Both the men and women are better than their record is indicating. But I don't think Tuesday's loss is one of those games that the pollsters will look at and say, "Oh, well, Biss was out." It's going to hurt Ship's rep for a while, and will undoubtedly help Cal's. One thing about the Raiders in the past half-decade -- if they can't shoot from the perimeter, it's awfully tough for them to hang with a quality team.

I heard that Biss' problem is a calf injury.

As for the women, I think they're come a long way in getting past the "one-player team" profile of three years ago. Ariel Jones has a lot of quality help, including another all-conference guard in Destiny Jefferson. But Jones is still the straw that stirs the drink. The Raiders would not be a contender without her. And Jefferson, especially, has struggled in Jones' absence.

Leave a comment:

• jrshooter
    replied
    Carlos Carter is playing at a very high level right now.

Both the men and women are better than their record is indicating. But I don't think Tuesday's loss is one of those games that the pollsters will look at and say, "Oh, well, Biss was out." It's going to hurt Ship's rep for a while, and will undoubtedly help Cal's. One thing about the Raiders in the past half-decade -- if they can't shoot from the perimeter, it's awfully tough for them to hang with a quality team.

I heard that Biss' problem is a calf injury.

As for the women, I think they're come a long way in getting past the "one-player team" profile of three years ago. Ariel Jones has a lot of quality help, including another all-conference guard in Destiny Jefferson. But Jones is still the straw that stirs the drink. The Raiders would not be a contender without her. And Jefferson, especially, has struggled in Jones' absence.
    Last edited by jrshooter; 11-24-2021, 05:30 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied

Cal is essentially built like an MEC team nowadays. I just question Ship being able to keep up minus Biss. Fite needs to try everything to play this game at a slow pace. If it gets sped up, Cal may lay a big number tonight.

It's a big one. One of them gets their second loss in November.
    Ship usually schedules tough early, and it's not unusual for them to come out of December with 3-4 losses. They actually were coming off two straight losses when they upset IUP in December of the last season they played. This season's schedule is just weird and doesn't line up well. In addition to games with seemingly every good team in the West, they even get a second game against Virginia State on Jan. 2. And that's all before playing any of the good teams in the East. Looking at the December schedule, I don't see a game where they can get away with a bad night, especially if they don't have 100 percent of Biss. If they can't keep the tempo down against Cal, they're going to need some play out of the freshmen guards. Carter, Johnson, and Hardy are fine in an uptempo game, but they need some help.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X