Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looks like Cal is going to hang on to pick up another tough opening weekend victory.

I watched the game. A few observations:

1. If you're a fan of offensive efficiency, this was not your game. A lot of chuck and chase.

2. But if you're going to play out-of-control AAU ball, you want Brent Pegram (Cal) and/or John Williams (GSC) on your team. They're really good.

3. If you're a fan of whining, there was lots to love about this one.

4. Boswell's antics are a lot less endearing when he's wearing someone else's jersey.

5. Boswell does look a lot more comfortable and productive in Sancomb's system than he did in Howlett's.

But look out for the Vulcans in the West this year. Picked up a nice set of opening wins to gain some momentum.

Comment

• Boro at Fairmont going to start about 30 mins late.

Fitting. Waited 5 years now to see Dom Keyes play in a game. What's another half hour.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scrub View Post
        Looks like Cal is going to hang on to pick up another tough opening weekend victory.

I watched the game. A few observations:

1. If you're a fan of offensive efficiency, this was not your game. A lot of chuck and chase.

2. But if you're going to play out-of-control AAU ball, you want Brent Pegram (Cal) and/or John Williams (GSC) on your team. They're really good.

3. If you're a fan of whining, there was lots to love about this one.

4. Boswell's antics are a lot less endearing when he's wearing someone else's jersey.

5. Boswell does look a lot more comfortable and productive in Sancomb's system than he did in Howlett's.

But look out for the Vulcans in the West this year. Picked up a nice set of opening wins to gain some momentum.
        Unless Bowie State has an unusually poor team this season, I'd be worried about Mercyhurst based on Friday's score.

Comment

• Good start for the West. This is going to be a gauntlet.

IUP - 2-0
          Mercyhurst - 2-0
          Cal - 2-0
          UPJ - 2-0
          Clarion - 1-0
          Slippery Rock - 1-1
          Edinboro - 0-1
          Seton Hill - 0-2
          Gannon - 0-0

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
            Good start for the West. This is going to be a gauntlet.

IUP - 2-0
            Mercyhurst - 2-0
            Cal - 2-0
            UPJ - 2-0
            Clarion - 1-0
            Slippery Rock - 1-1
            Edinboro - 0-1
            Seton Hill - 0-2
            Gannon - 0-0
            Personally happy for the VULCANS start though if it can be sustained through the "gauntlet" is another question. The addition of Boswell seems to be working well but I'm a bit surprised that ZYAN COLLINS and KEITH PALEK are getting the PT they are. It looks like DS is opting for a three guard offense so PALEK needs to be there to help PHIL ALSTON defend and rebound. As mentioned elsewhere the freshman Palek is talented but not fully grown into his body yet and the only other height behind him is another freshman GABE JIMERSON. They'll need to ride that horse until it drops.

Comment

• Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

Personally happy for the VULCANS start though if it can be sustained through the "gauntlet" is another question. The addition of Boswell seems to be working well but I'm a bit surprised that ZYAN COLLINS and KEITH PALEK are getting the PT they are. It looks like DS is opting for a three guard offense so PALEK needs to be there to help PHIL ALSTON defend and rebound. As mentioned elsewhere the freshman Palek is talented but not fully grown into his body yet and the only other height behind him is another freshman GABE JIMERSON. They'll need to ride that horse until it drops.
              That will be the element to watch as they enter the more physically rugged West season. Some awfully big teams in the West this year.

Comment

That will be the element to watch as they enter the more physically rugged West season. Some awfully big teams in the West this year.
                The size of some of the West teams certainly will be tough to handle. That's my big worry with Ship this year as they're not especially big. Nedrow fouled out in Saturday's loss to Virginia State (although not having Biss obviously didn't help, either). IUP and the Mercyhurst internationals should certainly be well equipped to contend with most teams.

Comment

• Comment

• Clarion takes down Frostburg. Golden Eagles are 2-0.

Comment

• Interesting. Ship will have played all five of your top West selections by Dec. 19. We caught a bit of break in football crossovers this season, but the same certainly can't be said for basketball. Oh yeah, and the Raiders first game after that December stretch will be a Jan. 2 rematch with Virginia State. Obviously hoping for the best as a Ship fan, but we could have a very good team and not even sniff the NCAAs this year if all the tough games go against us early.

Comment

• A day after getting walloped by Fairmont State (89-55), Edinboro bounced back with a 113-104 OT win over Bluefield State College. The Scots won the OT period, 18-9.

Comment

A day after getting walloped by Fairmont State (89-55), Edinboro bounced back with a 113-104 OT win over Bluefield State College. The Scots won the OT period, 18-9.
                          Not quite the way you want to beat Bluefield...

Comment

• Couple Men's games tonight.

Gannon lost to a good Ashland team, 80-76.

Seton Hill lost to West Virginia Wesleyan.

Comment

Couple Men's games tonight.

Gannon lost to a good Ashland team, 80-76.

Seton Hill lost to West Virginia Wesleyan.
                              This doesn't bode well for my Pick 'em this week. I thought the Hammermill advantage might be just enough to push Gannon over the edge. Looks like it almost was.

And I have SHU beating D&E later in the week. But, yikes, if you can't escape WVWC, I don't know.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scrub View Post

This doesn't bode well for my Pick 'em this week. I thought the Hammermill advantage might be just enough to push Gannon over the edge. Looks like it almost was.

And I have SHU beating D&E later in the week. But, yikes, if you can't escape WVWC, I don't know.

I think that old Hammermill advantage died years ago. GU reported attendance last night at just 397 for the season opener.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X