Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SRU

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
    I agree. 43 is presented as "bad" but is it really? Without context, you don't really know weather that's a good number or a bad one.

Of course 43 is very close to 42 which is the answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe and everything...at least according to the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy!!
    Lol! Good point.
    British Prime Minister Benjamin Disraeli: "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics."

Mark Twain popularized this quote.

The new president may have decided to end the comparisons of the athletic department with organizations at Faber College!
    Last edited by Columbuseer; 11-21-2018, 04:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
      My theory as to the point they are reaching for is, say he has 13 guys a year on the roster (10 years is 130 players). Of those 130 only 43 actually graduated from SRU (roughly 33%).
      http://www.indianagazette.com
      www.twitter.com/MattBurglund

Comment

Amazingly they pretty much did have 10 new guys a year. On a good year maybe 3-4 would stay. Average roster size is generally 12-14 guys.

Comment

Lets assume for a minute that Reynolds did have 130 players rotate through the program. 43 graduates would equal a 33% graduation rate. According to some of the stats I've read, the 4 year graduation rate for students at private and public flagship schools is 36% and 19% at non-flagship public schools. Hummmmm...putting it THAT way, Reynolds grad rate seems pretty normal!

Next the "On-line Rocket" is going to accuse Reynolds of Aggravated Hybochery with Malice of Fore Thought and maybe even Mopery with intent to Gawk!!!
          Last edited by boatcapt; 11-21-2018, 02:18 PM.

Comment

The sad thing is that number (actual number of different humans in the program) could be obtained. The SRU web site lists rosters back to the 2007 season. That stretch is essentially the full Reynolds era.

I'm not doing it. But, if anybody is really bored, ...

That research could put actual statistics to the claims.

Comment

I'm really bored (football season is over). I counted 93 players who were on the roster for at least one year from 2008 to 2018. Some of those were recruited by the previous coaching staff, so it's not necessarily fair to count all 93 of them in this exercise. But anyway ... 43/93=46.2%

The sad thing is that number (actual number of different humans in the program) could be obtained. The SRU web site lists rosters back to the 2007 season. That stretch is essentially the full Reynolds era.

I'm not doing it. But, if anybody is really bored, ...

That research could put actual statistics to the claims.
              http://www.indianagazette.com
              www.twitter.com/MattBurglund

Comment

That's not awful. In 2017 the national D2 average was 59 percent for men's basketball. Football was even lower (51%).

Comment

That's not awful. In 2017 the national D2 average was 59 percent for men's basketball. Football was even lower (51%).
                  I agree. I wonder how the statistic is calculated. If I play one year, then the coach cuts me loose. However, I stay on my own dime to graduate at the same school, do I count in the graduation stats for the basketball team?
                  I suspect that given there was a new sheriff in town, they wanted the appearance of college students who stay more than one year, rather a churn and burn basketball factory.

Found the link - d1 and D2 calculated differently - also multiple statistics (30) used for graduation rates, each with their own calculation
                  https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/res...Calculated.pdf

Although not 100% sure, it says "First Year Participants", so it may only count players who played their freshman year.
                  Also a gaiming strategy is to put some smart walk-ons on the roster, because D2 can count them.
                  D2 calculation is independent of whether they receive financial aid.

Looks like that are ways to "game the system" based on which statistic that you use.

More info than any of us wanted!
                  Last edited by Columbuseer; 11-21-2018, 03:33 PM. Reason: added link

Comment

From I'm told, had the walk-out not of happened it would have been business as usual. The AD was a KR guy.

Once it happened and the new President got involved ...

Comment

Kevin Reynolds has filed a suit against SRU. Looks like some of us weren't far off on some of the details.

Comment

Originally posted by hawks16 View Post
                        For what it's worth, the newspaper cited sources close to the team saying KR's office was starting to get cleared out while also saying sources close to the team wouldn't comment on the coaching situation.

And that's why we frown on anonymous sources.
                        Sloppy journalism, at best. Par for the course at a PASSHE school.

But to a larger point, Slippery Rock -- like many other PSAC schools -- don't have a hometown paper like IUP and the Indiana Gazette. Sure, Cal and Seton Hill have the Trib and P-G (mostly clumped together in district college reports) and West Chester and Cheyney have the Inquirer and the Erie schools have the Times-News. But they're not sending beat reporters to games. So if something happens like what's happening at Slippery Rock, it's just put together in a roundup. And if something happens out in Mansfield or Clarion...good luck.
                        Cal does have the Washington Observer-Reporter, who regularly sent a reporter to football games, plus the Valley Independent (during the Trib ownership days) and the Uniontown Herald-Standard (aka, the Herald-Sub-Standard). West Chester has the Daily Local News, and Neil Geohegan covered most home games and a few away games as I recall (unless the DLN went through some budget cuts recently). Millersville used to get some coverage in the Lancaster papers from what I remember. And, the Morning Call in Allentown put some stories out on Kutztown (which also has the Reading Eagle) and East Stroudsburg.

But, you're right about the Clarions and Mansfields and Lock Havens of the league: coverage is virtually non-existent at a local level.
                        Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
                          Kevin Reynolds has filed a suit against SRU. Looks like some of us weren't far off on some of the details.
                          Being that he's not actually terminated yet ... what is the premise of the lawsuit? What is the union involvement?

Comment

Retaliation, discrimination via Title IX, etc. Full gamut

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
                              Retaliation, discrimination via Title IX, etc. Full gamut
                              It is my understanding that other than poor player reviews at the end of last season there isn't really a smoking gun incident to legally justify the termination. Most of it would fall in to allegations without formal documentation from over the years (which isn't likely to exist).

His game suspenion a couple years ago was a very minor incident.

He very well may be successful in this case (or likely settlement).

Comment

According to the lawsuit, this is the new president and the AD out to get him. Player walk outs totally coincidental.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X