Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: OT: D1

Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post
    Xavier Johnson stated point blank in an interview last winter that he does not envision himself at Pitt for four years. Personally, I think these guys are absolute fools to give up the college game unless you know for certain that you are assured of being a top round pick. Looks like Capel is covering his bases here with the addition of the Delaware transfer Horton (although maybe more a projected 2) and the recruitment of RJ Davis for 2020.

Bottom-line here is that both X-Man and Trey McGowens need more college seasoning before making the jump to the next level.

In other Pitt recruiting news for 2020---SF Jalen Bridges added Pitt to his list of final ten. Bridges will be doing a prep school year at Scotland Prep in Chambersburg, PA. If that sounds familiar that is where Pitt just landed 2019 recruit PF Karim Coulibaly from.

I was at Pitt today. Older news but not sure if I made mention of it before-----frosh recruit Justin Champagnie underwent surgery on a dislocated finger about a month ago. While he wasn't practicing immediately after he is expected to return to play on the Italy trip.

I saw the campus police had the one side road next to the Pete blocked off with their cruisers with lights flashing at both ends while some trucks and other larger vehicles were parked in between. Made me wonder if the Pitt team may have been getting ready to embark upon their overseas trip. No idea on that though. I would guess that they would not be leaving quite yet.

Also, some more of the early portion of the 2019-20 Pitt MBB schedule is now up. Some highlights would be ACC foe Florida State in the opener Nov 6 at the Pete. Nov. 12 at Robert Morris to usher in the new arena. Nov. 15 backyard brawl with WVU at the Pete. Fort Myers, Fla. Tourney Nov. 25-27. Rutgers Dec. 3 at the Pete.

-
    The fact Xavier Johnson is already ruling out a four year career at Pitt just spells trouble.. the delusion with a lot of these kids is really something. Would you rather go to draft and at max be in the league for a year or two and hang in the d-league or play 3-4 years and be a solid rotation guy/starter in the league for your career.

Comment

Xavier Johnson stated point blank in an interview last winter that he does not envision himself at Pitt for four years. Personally, I think these guys are absolute fools to give up the college game unless you know for certain that you are assured of being a top round pick. Looks like Capel is covering his bases here with the addition of the Delaware transfer Horton (although maybe more a projected 2) and the recruitment of RJ Davis for 2020.

Bottom-line here is that both X-Man and Trey McGowens need more college seasoning before making the jump to the next level.

In other Pitt recruiting news for 2020---SF Jalen Bridges added Pitt to his list of final ten. Bridges will be doing a prep school year at Scotland Prep in Chambersburg, PA. If that sounds familiar that is where Pitt just landed 2019 recruit PF Karim Coulibaly from.

I was at Pitt today. Older news but not sure if I made mention of it before-----frosh recruit Justin Champagnie underwent surgery on a dislocated finger about a month ago. While he wasn't practicing immediately after he is expected to return to play on the Italy trip.

I saw the campus police had the one side road next to the Pete blocked off with their cruisers with lights flashing at both ends while some trucks and other larger vehicles were parked in between. Made me wonder if the Pitt team may have been getting ready to embark upon their overseas trip. No idea on that though. I would guess that they would not be leaving quite yet.

Also, some more of the early portion of the 2019-20 Pitt MBB schedule is now up. Some highlights would be ACC foe Florida State in the opener Nov 6 at the Pete. Nov. 12 at Robert Morris to usher in the new arena. Nov. 15 backyard brawl with WVU at the Pete. Fort Myers, Fla. Tourney Nov. 25-27. Rutgers Dec. 3 at the Pete.

-
      Pitt is playing a league game on November 6?

Comment

Originally posted by Golden89 View Post
        Pitt is playing a league game on November 6?
        It is odd. I don't quite understand that. Usually conference play does not begin until a few days into the new calendar year IIRC.

I see that the Pitt football team is doing the same thing with the season opener on Aug. 31 against Virginia.

-

Comment

Some more Pitt notes and tidbits---

-The team has departed for Italy where of course they will partake in several exhibition games. The first will be on Thursday (Aug. 8) against Netherlands National Team B at 1 PM EST. I have not heard of any live feeds thus far but there should be highlights and box scores provided by the Pitt Athletic Department shortly thereafter.

-Both SF Jalen Bridges and PG R.J. Davis recently made unofficial visits to the Pitt campus in the past few days. Both have Pitt listed in their final cut of schools.

-NBA royalty recently stepped into the Pete as Golden State Warriors superstar Steph Curry made a visit to the Pitt MBB offices. It seems that he is close friends with one of the assistant coaches. R.J. Davis even got his picture taken with Curry on his visit. That's not a bad way to make an impression on a potential recruit.

-Moon Area star Donovan "Puff" Johnson recently released his list of seven finalist schools and Pitt did make the cut. Word is that he made a second visit. But most insiders feel that his pick of schools will come down to North Carolina or Arizona.

-Five-star SG (apparently up from four stars) Earl Timberlake will make an official visit to Pitt on Aug. 30. He has already listed Pitt in his list of top seven schools. Many feel that Timberlake is a real possibility to sign with the Panthers.

-PG Myles Tate (Dorman, South Carolina) has also listed Pitt on his list of finalist schools.

Head Coach Jeff Capel was recently on The Fan and here are a few snippets of what he had to say:

-None of the arenas that Pitt will play in Italy will be air conditioned. Capel stated that he will be wearing shorts during the games.

-Kene Chukwuka's injury is every bit as serious as has been advertised. The earliest he will return (if at all) is in January.

-Frosh recruit Karim Coulibaly can expect to see minutes at both the 4 and the 5 this season. Most observers felt that he would be strictly a 4. But need will facilitate the move.

-
          Last edited by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS; 08-05-2019, 07:43 PM.

Comment

Some more Pitt notes and tidbits---

-The team has departed for Italy where of course they will partake in several exhibition games. The first will be on Thursday (Aug. 8) against Netherlands National Team B at 1 PM EST. I have not heard of any live feeds thus far but there should be highlights and box scores provided by the Pitt Athletic Department shortly thereafter.

-Both SF Jalen Bridges and PG R.J. Davis recently made unofficial visits to the Pitt campus in the past few days. Both have Pitt listed in their final cut of schools.

-NBA royalty recently stepped into the Pete as Golden State Warriors superstar Steph Curry made a visit to the Pitt MBB offices. It seems that he is close friends with one of the assistant coaches. R.J. Davis even got his picture taken with Curry on his visit. That's not a bad way to make an impression on a potential recruit.

-Moon Area star Donovan "Puff" Johnson recently released his list of seven finalist schools and Pitt did make the cut. Word is that he made a second visit. But most insiders feel that his pick of schools will come down to North Carolina or Arizona.

-Five-star SG (apparently up from four stars) Earl Timberlake will make an official visit to Pitt on Aug. 30. He has already listed Pitt in his list of top seven schools. Many feel that Timberlake is a real possibility to sign with the Panthers.

-PG Myles Tate (Dorman, South Carolina) has also listed Pitt on his list of finalist schools.

Head Coach Jeff Capel was recently on The Fan and here are a few snippets of what he had to say:

-None of the arenas that Pitt will play in Italy will be air conditioned. Capel stated that he will be wearing shorts during the games.

-Kene Chukwuka's injury is every bit as serious as has been advertised. The earliest he will return (if at all) is in January.

-Frosh recruit Karim Coulibaly can expect to see minutes at both the 4 and the 5 this season. Most observers felt that he would be strictly a 4. But need will facilitate the move.

-

One of the bigs they are chasing is coming back for a second visit. Name slips me but I read it in the Trib yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
              One of the bigs they are chasing is coming back for a second visit. Name slips me but I read it in the Trib yesterday.
              Could be John Hugley IV. Capel has been really high on him for well over a year now and has been actively recruiting him the entire time. I did hear some whispers that he was on campus last weekend but could not confirm so I did not mention it. He has already made several visits. I believe that Hugley hails from Ohio IIRC. He lost a lot of weight over the past several years and has transformed himself into a player who quite possibly will enter into the top 75 recruits in the land.

A few more tidbits---

-PG Myles Tate whom I had just mentioned yesterday as having put Pitt on his list of final schools just committed to Butler.

-R.J. Davis I want to say had his parents actually go to Pitt so that is an advantage right there to land him. Major talent at PG. He is not to be confused with A.J. Davis whom big Pitt football fan IUP24 will be seeing running the rock for the Panthers this fall.

-I think I may have had some of my Capel quotes crossed. Not sure if all of that is the info he gave on The Fan last week, but nonetheless it came straight from the horses' mouth very recently. All a part of the Capel gospel.

-I see that the top recruit for 2020 for the entire nation--Evan Mobley--just committed to USC where his father is an assistant on Andy Enfield's staff. Enfield of course is from Shippensburg.

-

Comment

Pitt a winner today over Netherlands National B Team by a score of 60-55. Xavier Johnson shows some flash and sizzle with a very strong game that saw him contribute 20 points, 4 boards, and three assists. He certainly could be included in preseason All-ACC conversations. Transfer Ryan Murphy also turned in a good effort with 13 points, six rebounds and four treys he splashed in. Audise Toney scored eight and had five boards. Transfer power forward Eric Hamilton put in seven points and pulled down five caroms. Justin Champagnie led the frosh recruits with five points and three rebounds. Four points for Gerald Drumgoole.

Pitt will take on Florence All-Stars on Saturday at 1PM EST.

The team has been extensively touring Italy thus far. They have had tours of such historical landmarks as The Colosseum, St. Peters Basilica, and the Sistine Chapel.

-

Comment

Pitt a winner today over Netherlands National B Team by a score of 60-55. Xavier Johnson shows some flash and sizzle with a very strong game that saw him contribute 20 points, 4 boards, and three assists. He certainly could be included in preseason All-ACC conversations. Transfer Ryan Murphy also turned in a good effort with 13 points, six rebounds and four treys he splashed in. Audise Toney scored eight and had five boards. Transfer power forward Eric Hamilton put in seven points and pulled down five caroms. Justin Champagnie led the frosh recruits with five points and three rebounds. Four points for Gerald Drumgoole.

Pitt will take on Florence All-Stars on Saturday at 1PM EST.

The team has been extensively touring Italy thus far. They have had tours of such historical landmarks as The Colosseum, St. Peters Basilica, and the Sistine Chapel.

-
                  You think they hired Romano Tours ?

Comment

PF Noah Collier out of Westtown High School in PA has included Pitt in his final list of three schools (Clemson and Cal are the others). I had made mention of Collier last winter as someone the Pitt staff was looking at. Many Panther followers seem to think that his name has popped up out of nowhere but that is simply not the case. He is someone who has been on the radar for some time.

A few tidbits on Collier----he is 6-7 and 200. His one grandfather was a member of the famed Tuskegee Fighter Air Group that served with distinction in World War II. His stepfather was a standout at West Chester as a WR and was inducted into the Rams Athletic Hall of Fame. Some ratings system have Collier listed as a top 100 player nationally.

-

Comment

Pitt a 103-53 winner yesterday against the Florence All-Stars. 16 each for X-Man and Champagnie. 15 apiece for Trey and Murphy. 14 for Brown. 8 boards for Champagnie and 7 steals for Drumgoole.

Many have already noted what an addition that Champagnie has been for the Panthers. The only folly here was to not also bring in his twin brother who signed with St. Johns after Pitt balked at adding him this year.

The team is now in Venice and will close out their Italy junket with a game tomorrow afternoon.

-

Comment

Pitt a 103-53 winner yesterday against the Florence All-Stars. 16 each for X-Man and Champagnie. 15 apiece for Trey and Murphy. 14 for Brown. 8 boards for Champagnie and 7 steals for Drumgoole.

Many have already noted what an addition that Champagnie has been for the Panthers. The only folly here was to not also bring in his twin brother who signed with St. Johns after Pitt balked at adding him this year.
                        The team is now in Venice and will close out their Italy junket with a game tomorrow afternoon.

-
                        Isn't that the new name for one of the perennial Harlem Globe Trotter opponents the Washington Generals??

Comment

You have to wonder if they'd be better off doing a barnstorming tour of the US or even PA playing state schools and junior colleges. Both from a competition perspective and cost. I doubt recruiting a kid from New Jersey or North Carolina is helped by saying you're going on a tour of Italy as much as it would be playing near their hometown.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
                            You have to wonder if they'd be better off doing a barnstorming tour of the US or even PA playing state schools and junior colleges. Both from a competition perspective and cost. I doubt recruiting a kid from New Jersey or North Carolina is helped by saying you're going on a tour of Italy as much as it would be playing near their hometown.

I think, in theory, the NCAA views these trips as educational as much as for basketball purposes. If anything they do get you a little head start on the season and are probably very good team-building trips. For the players it's fantastic ... trip to Italy on somebody else's dime. For most that's a once-in-a-lifetime experience.

Down on our level Mercyhurst is playing four games in Canada in October. For them that is a huge perk being they have so many new faces.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                              I think, in theory, the NCAA views these trips as educational as much as for basketball purposes. If anything they do get you a little head start on the season and are probably very good team-building trips. For the players it's fantastic ... trip to Italy on somebody else's dime. For most that's a once-in-a-lifetime experience.

Down on our level Mercyhurst is playing four games in Canada in October. For them that is a huge perk being they have so many new faces.
                              That's a pretty darn good way of saying it all! It's great for the program since they are such a young team and this gives them a little bit of a head start on bonding and team chemistry as well as learning to play together. Most teams have to wait until mid-October to get started. They got a real nice jump on things. The cultural/historical experience they are getting is unbelievable with getting to tour these revered sites of Italy. Indeed once in a lifetime thing unless some of them decide to play there after college.

Pitt is in action against the Vicenza All-Stars as I type this.

-

Comment

Pitt concludes its Italian excursion with a 104-41 victory over the Vincenza All-Stars this afternoon. 21 for Murphy. 18 for Coulibaly. 12 for McGowens and Toney. 10 for Drumgoole and Champagnie.

Pitt goes 3-0 on the trip. Pop the Champagnie! Capel has planted the Pitt flag into Italian soil as the conquest of Italy has been completed. Next up is the ACC.

The first opponent that Pitt faced (Netherlands National B Team) is considered a very quality team. They just downed the Illini by 10 a few days ago. They also beat Virginia a few years ago as well. So no small accomplishment for the Panthers to beat them by five.

Pitt looks to have greatly improved itself with the additions of players like Coulibaly, Champagnie, Drumgoole, Murphy and Hamilton. There should be a considerable bump up in the overall talent and depth of this coming season's team.

Now the team needs to get back to Oakland and get ready for the start of the fall semester. But great to see the team have such a successful trip.

-

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X