• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: OT: D1

Comment

Well said!

Barnes should have been strung up from a tree in Oakland for his hiring of Stullings. The all-time worst hire in Pitt athletics history. Or at least I would hope that it was.

Whether folks realize it or not---Capel has actually been brilliant thus far. It's just going to take some more time.

Yeah, Dixon had run his course at Pitt. I was happy to see him go. But not as happy as I was to see Stullings go.

In some other Pitt MBB news---

-Looks like Moon Area's Puff Johnson is at the moment planning to not reclassify into the 2019 recruiting class. He has some hearings coming up concerning his current state of eligibility. Things could change depending on how that goes.

-Marcus Bagley released his final three schools last evening and many felt that Pitt would be among them. No dice! He picked all West Coast PAC-12 schools.

-

Comment

• Comment

D2 supporters complain that people don't want to go to see D2 sporting events, when even the D2 fans talk about D1 sports on D2 message boards.

Comment

• Comment

Completely agree. Fans constantly forget that when they want to get rid of a coach, they assume that they will find someone better. My favorite example of this is the Nebraska fans who ran Frank Solich out of town after a 9-3 season.

Comment

Originally posted by Golden89 View Post
                Completely agree. Fans constantly forget that when they want to get rid of a coach, they assume that they will find someone better. My favorite example of this is the Nebraska fans who ran Frank Solich out of town after a 9-3 season.
                Complete travesty. The program hasn't been the same since.

Comment

Comment

I listen to Chris Peak's Panther Lair podcast twice a week and agree partially with the sentiment he posed after the Pitt-ND game in South Bend last year. He claims that people view Pitt as more of a "midwestern" school than a "southern" school, thus they would rather drive west to play the likes of Iowa, Michigan, Michigan State. I was at ND for that game and Pitt traveled there extremely well, so I can understand that belief. I also was in Charlotte, and it was fun driving there too.

I think in regards to basketball, as somebody mentioned already, Dixon wanted nothing to do with the ACC and I think that showed. His program was built on getting kids from inner city New York and Philly and he was unable to get them to play in the ACC. When the big recruiting chip of playing in MSG is gone, it's not as easy to bring in those guys. I think Capel is recruiting a different type of guy though that Dixon didn't ever want to go after. I think you're seeing each year with some of the teams that make NCAA runs. There's a couple of the Elite 8 teams every year that are just "lightning in a bottle" type teams (Texas Tech this year, South Carolina last, etc.) Not traditionally good basketball schools, but teams that have a couple good veterans and two ultra talented young players that could flirt with the NBA. I'm okay with Pitt being that. They might make the tournament less frequently with Capel in the ACC, but they might have rosters with the ability to provide them more tournament success.

I have no ill will for Jamie Dixon, but I just kind of think it was time for both sides to move on.

Comment

Some 2020 recruiting news out of Pitt----Four touted high school players have included Pitt in their personal list of school finalists.

C John Hugley- Has Pitt among his final 12 schools. Capel is extremely high on him. He may be next year's Qudus Wahab in that Pitt is counting heavily upon him to sign for low post play.

PG Posh Alexander- Has Pitt in his final five.

PF Myles Stute- Has Pitt listed in his final seven schools.

PF Elijah Taylor (out of Philly's Imhotep Charter)- Has Pitt among his final six schools.

-

Comment

Some more very positive news for Pitt 2020 recruiting with the inclusion of Pitt in SG Earl Timberlake's list of final seven schools. Timberlake is a four star and top 30 prospect. Capel has been talking with him for quite awhile now. He has been believed to be very high on the Pitt program and the school's sports medicine program (his intended major). He would be a get. Other schools he listed are North Carolina, Alabama, South Carolina and Miami.

On the downside, C Hunter Dickinson released his top 7 list and Pitt did not appear on it.

-

Comment

Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post
                          Some more very positive news for Pitt 2020 recruiting with the inclusion of Pitt in SG Earl Timberlake's list of final seven schools. Timberlake is a four star and top 30 prospect. Capel has been talking with him for quite awhile now. He has been believed to be very high on the Pitt program and the school's sports medicine program (his intended major). He would be a get. Other schools he listed are North Carolina, Alabama, South Carolina and Miami.

On the downside, C Hunter Dickinson released his top 7 list and Pitt did not appear on it.

-

I can't see Pitt EVER beating out a kid with a North Carolina offer.

He's chasing some lofty guys ... just not landing them yet.

I'd love to see him get two more years of his top two guards ... although I have my doubts we'll see them here in Year 3.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

I'd love to see him get two more years of his top two guards ... although I have my doubts we'll see them here in Year 3.
                            Would be a terrible idea for those two to enter the draft.

Comment

Originally posted by PSACfan1 View Post
                              Would be a terrible idea for those two to enter the draft.
                              Agreed, but, ... you know how that goes.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Xavier Johnson stated point blank in an interview last winter that he does not envision himself at Pitt for four years. Personally, I think these guys are absolute fools to give up the college game unless you know for certain that you are assured of being a top round pick. Looks like Capel is covering his bases here with the addition of the Delaware transfer Horton (although maybe more a projected 2) and the recruitment of RJ Davis for 2020.

Bottom-line here is that both X-Man and Trey McGowens need more college seasoning before making the jump to the next level.

In other Pitt recruiting news for 2020---SF Jalen Bridges added Pitt to his list of final ten. Bridges will be doing a prep school year at Scotland Prep in Chambersburg, PA. If that sounds familiar that is where Pitt just landed 2019 recruit PF Karim Coulibaly from.

I was at Pitt today. Older news but not sure if I made mention of it before-----frosh recruit Justin Champagnie underwent surgery on a dislocated finger about a month ago. While he wasn't practicing immediately after he is expected to return to play on the Italy trip.

I saw the campus police had the one side road next to the Pete blocked off with their cruisers with lights flashing at both ends while some trucks and other larger vehicles were parked in between. Made me wonder if the Pitt team may have been getting ready to embark upon their overseas trip. No idea on that though. I would guess that they would not be leaving quite yet.

Also, some more of the early portion of the 2019-20 Pitt MBB schedule is now up. Some highlights would be ACC foe Florida State in the opener Nov 6 at the Pete. Nov. 12 at Robert Morris to usher in the new arena. Nov. 15 backyard brawl with WVU at the Pete. Fort Myers, Fla. Tourney Nov. 25-27. Rutgers Dec. 3 at the Pete.

-

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X