Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: OT: D1

Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post
    No, he gave a verbal as far back as February or so. Not sure what the problem was---something about getting the proper things in order like SATs and a few odds and ends. He's a decent player who could really help out.

There are still some good players out there believe it or not. I think these recruits are figuring out that you can actually land a better offer sometimes if you stay uncommitted. Some dude named Coleman actually landed a Duke offer in the past few weeks. A lot of observers were shocked by that. Another four star big with the last name of Howard decommitted from Ole Miss when Khadim Sy came on board. Pitt has been mentioned as in play for his services but I doubt they land him. He's a Georgia native and many feel that he goes either Georgia or G-Tech. Stay tuned for that.

-
    Verbals don't mean a thing.

Comment

They are getting the type of grad transfer that they actually ARE attractive to right now ... kids from the bush leagues of D1 (New Mexico, etc.).

Sometimes all it takes is one recruit. If he can land one big ... others tend to follow. But, yeah, landing 5-stars at Duke is a 'little' easier.

The post players for next season will again be a major problem. It won't show until ACC play starts in January. But, as of now, those guys will get mauled again.

Comment

Looks like Pitt is targeting bigs Nigel John and Josaphat Bilau (out of France). Both are 6-9/6-10 range. Let's hope they can land one. Capel has batted .000 on the center types thus far this year. But not for a lack of trying. He'll knock down that door eventually, though it may not be this year. Across the board the national recruiting class of 2019 is not considered to be overly strong. But still some very good talent in it.

He may have to wait next year. I hear that big John Hugley is high on Pitt and Capel. Same with standout SF Earl Timberlake. All good and fine until Kentucky, Duke and North Carolina come calling.

Capel did do well to sign some high quality three stars. Fans will like guys like Drumgoole (ultra-hustle and perimeter game), Coulibaly (ability to be a legit 4 PF) and Champagnie (Brooklyn tough and good all around game at the wing). They can all do a lot to help make a difference for Pitt next season. But boy oh boy they need that big center type of guy for the ACC battles that begin come January.

-

Comment

Add grad transfer Eric Hamilton out of North Carolina-Greensboro to Pitt. 6-9 and 250 with a decent bit of athleticism. He averaged 6 PPG and 4 RPG. He played his first two seasons out of high school at Wichita State before the transfer to UNC-G. He should provide some much needed depth to the Panthers front court.

Capel now has two scholies left to work with this summer. Hopefully 6-10 C Josaphat Bilau will sign on.

-

Comment

Add grad transfer Eric Hamilton out of North Carolina-Greensboro to Pitt. 6-9 and 250 with a decent bit of athleticism. He averaged 6 PPG and 4 RPG. He played his first two seasons out of high school at Wichita State before the transfer to UNC-G. He should provide some much needed depth to the Panthers front court.

Capel now has two scholies left to work with this summer. Hopefully 6-10 C Josaphat Bilau will sign on.

-

So, last year, this Hamilton kid started just 6 games for UNC-Greensboro (avg. 16 mpg). At best he's going to be a deep bench guy for Pitt this year.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
              So, last year, this Hamilton kid started just 6 games for UNC-Greensboro (avg. 16 mpg). At best he's going to be a deep bench guy for Pitt this year.
              I guess the word is that you can't play him too many minutes for fear that he will foul out....say like in several minutes. At least he will be a big body in there for this year and he will free up a scholarship next year as his eligibility will be up. Maybe he can provide some leadership to the younger players. But yeah, I don't think anyone is out dancing in the streets in Oakland over his signing.

Let's pray that Bilau signs. I watched film of Nigel John but had a hard time judging him as he seemed to be playing a bunch of small white guys who looked like my friends and I on the playground court when we were in high school. Not a good thing.

-

Comment

I guess the word is that you can't play him too many minutes for fear that he will foul out....say like in several minutes. At least he will be a big body in there for this year and he will free up a scholarship next year as his eligibility will be up. Maybe he can provide some leadership to the younger players. But yeah, I don't think anyone is out dancing in the streets in Oakland over his signing.

Let's pray that Bilau signs. I watched film of Nigel John but had a hard time judging him as he seemed to be playing a bunch of small white guys who looked like my friends and I on the playground court when we were in high school. Not a good thing.

-

Looking like Capal has added a three star JUCO transfer Ryan Murphy.. if he'll be able to contribute immediately who knows.

EDIT: The signing of Murphy has been documented in this thread, however the article below is from 6/4.

https://pittnews.com/article/148332/...omes-up-short/
                Last edited by PSACfan1; 06-10-2019, 10:46 AM.

Comment

Looks like 6-10 C Josaphat Bilau has his choice of schools narrowed down to Tennessee, Nevada, WVU, Wake Forest, and Pitt.

-

Comment

Looks like Pitt is out of the running for the services of Bilau. Fantastic. Ho-hum...

But one rather interesting development is that Moon Area standout SF Donovan "Puff" Johnson has been ruled ineligible by the WPIAL. He is the younger brother of former Pitt and North Carolina standout Cameron Johnson who expects to hear his name called tomorrow night's NBA Draft. He is a Top 50 national recruit for 2020 and on some ratings the top high school player in PA. Word is that the Johnson brothers spent today visiting with Jeff Capel at Pitt hoops headquarters. There is thought that he will perhaps reclassify and skip his final year of high school ball. He would be a real get for Pitt. Here we go again...

-

Comment

Looks like Pitt is out of the running for the services of Bilau. Fantastic. Ho-hum...

But one rather interesting development is that Moon Area standout SF Donovan "Puff" Johnson has been ruled ineligible by the WPIAL. He is the younger brother of former Pitt and North Carolina standout Cameron Johnson who expects to hear his name called tomorrow night's NBA Draft. He is a Top 50 national recruit for 2020 and on some ratings the top high school player in PA. Word is that the Johnson brothers spent today visiting with Jeff Capel at Pitt hoops headquarters. There is thought that he will perhaps reclassify and skip his final year of high school ball. He would be a real get for Pitt. Here we go again...

-
                      Unrelated but did you see the big football star from United has transferred to Ligonier Valley? Lol. Unreal.

Comment

Unrelated but did you see the big football star from United has transferred to Ligonier Valley? Lol. Unreal.
                        I find that disgusting to be honest. Things were already hopelessly stacked against the rest of the Heritage to the point that it's not even worth following it any more. I think that it is time for the Heritage to jettison Ligonier Valley. Not sour grapes or anything. I grew up with their coach and always liked him. No problem there. But it just doesn't work anymore to have LV in that conference of smaller schools. I'm just surprised that it took that long for them to become this powerful after their merger with Laurel Valley some ten years ago. I just want to have the conference back again. LV needs to go!

Jody Rainey is the president, or whatever they call it, of the Heritage----this would be a grand opportunity to shed his dolt image once and for all by moving promptly on this. Survival and continued interest in the conference is paramount.

No doubt Silk had his choices narrowed to LV and Pitt MBB. Pitt lost out again. LOL.

-

Comment

I find that disgusting to be honest. Things were already hopelessly stacked against the rest of the Heritage to the point that it's not even worth following it any more. I think that it is time for the Heritage to jettison Ligonier Valley. Not sour grapes or anything. I grew up with their coach and always liked him. No problem there. But it just doesn't work anymore to have LV in that conference of smaller schools. I'm just surprised that it took that long for them to become this powerful after their merger with Laurel Valley some ten years ago. I just want to have the conference back again. LV needs to go!

Jody Rainey is the president, or whatever they call it, of the Heritage----this would be a grand opportunity to shed his dolt image once and for all by moving promptly on this. Survival and continued interest in the conference is paramount.

No doubt Silk had his choices narrowed to LV and Pitt MBB. Pitt lost out again. LOL.

-
                          United is expecting 13-15 kids on their WHOLE team this fall. LV is a total joke playing in that league. I wouldn't doubt you start seeing schools just forfeit that game (like Saltsburg did last year). It's a real mess. None of the schools want them in there. Their average regular season game is like watching IUP football play Indiana High.

LV also just won the Lineman Challenge at Pitt last weekend. I don't know that you could make an all-star team of all the other Heritage teams that could beat LV in football.

Comment

• LV just had a kid commit to Navy. Is that the player that transferred from United?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

United is expecting 13-15 kids on their WHOLE team this fall. LV is a total joke playing in that league. I wouldn't doubt you start seeing schools just forfeit that game (like Saltsburg did last year). It's a real mess. None of the schools want them in there. Their average regular season game is like watching IUP football play Indiana High.

LV also just won the Lineman Challenge at Pitt last weekend. I don't know that you could make an all-star team of all the other Heritage teams that could beat LV in football.

Comment

LV is rocking and rolling. Last year at the PeeWee level they had like double kids out compared to everybody else. Roger has really built a foundation and culture there.

I know they've tried to play some local WPIAL schools. Not many return their calls. They beat Derry a couple years back and then Derry canned their coach. I think they'd fit in to IHS's conference nicely.

They are strong in basketball and wrestling, too.
                                Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 06-25-2019, 11:05 AM.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X