X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IUP24
    replied
    Originally posted by gman16506 View Post

Not sure any firm conclusions can be made yet concerning Coach Fee's philosophy for roster composition. Given the mess of a roster that Coach Jefferson left him after a 3-26 season, stacked with several "me first and I'm getting mine" players, there was going to be major changes. That roster deserved and needed to be turned over for the overall direction of the program. With that said, Fee did bring in three freshmen last year and two of them logged quality time. Coach Fee has already signed four high school seniors for next season and has a verbal commitment for another from the D.C. area. Therefore, Fee has the potential to have eight players on his 24-25' roster that are either freshmen or sophomores that her brought into the program. Maybe we should wait and see how this Gannon situation works out over a couple of seasons before making judgements on Coach Fee's reliance on the portal for the majority of his roster.
    You’re missing the point. Given the climate of college athletics, Gannon winning a national championship doing what they did is probably the absolute worst things for programs trying to recruit, develop, and retain players, rather than just churn over an entire team in a month.

On one hand, you’re right. There were roster changes that had to be made. But traditionally, those roster changes occurred over 1-2 years with a new coach. Not a few days. The other side of that discussion is now a coach can just come in, clean house on day one - literally, and replace every single one of those guys on day via the portal. Forget a coach honoring players’ scholarships who played for the previous regime. Those days are long gone.

To EyeOfTheHawk’s point, the job security of players, not just coaches, is getting lesser by the minute. And these are the bus leagues.

Leave a comment:

• gman16506
    replied
    Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

Why is it when someone says “kick in the balls” you can almost feel it?!

I’m not rooting for Gannon for that very reason, which is obviously a selfish one. That said, if they do win in then they’ve likely paved the road for everyone else to try the same thing. Don’t like your current coach or roster? Just get rid of them all and start over. I have a feeling job security for coaches and players is getting worse by the minute.
    Not sure any firm conclusions can be made yet concerning Coach Fee's philosophy for roster composition. Given the mess of a roster that Coach Jefferson left him after a 3-26 season, stacked with several "me first and I'm getting mine" players, there was going to be major changes. That roster deserved and needed to be turned over for the overall direction of the program. With that said, Fee did bring in three freshmen last year and two of them logged quality time. Coach Fee has already signed four high school seniors for next season and has a verbal commitment for another from the D.C. area. Therefore, Fee has the potential to have eight players on his 24-25' roster that are either freshmen or sophomores that her brought into the program. Maybe we should wait and see how this Gannon situation works out over a couple of seasons before making judgements on Coach Fee's reliance on the portal for the majority of his roster.

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied
    Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

I will get eye rolls from fellow IUP posters. There were people who were applauding Armoni Foster when he left IUP and made the move to D1 to play at Buffalo. I was the single person who identified that "this was it" regarding the end of program stability at IUP. It was going to eventually take one to open the door. I get Foster was at IUP a while, and through the canceled COVID year, but he opened the floodgates so to speak.

From IUP's perspective, you can argue they only really lost Tomiwa to the next level after that, but Joe's program retention since that departure hasn't been close to what it used to be. And sure, that's the game now, which I understand. And I envision some of the turnover was mutual as well. But Joe's entire program was built on the premise of family, loyalty, togetherness, etc. Very firm value-based principles that are mostly non-existent in sports nowadays. Foster leaving was kind of the end of that era of IUP basketball. They lasted a few years into the era of free movement without getting impacted, but that's over now.

IUP and West Liberty are similar programs in the sense that I don't think they necessarily always needed to rely on the "free agent pool" if you will, of college basketball. They were decent at retaining players. Lombardi's real approach was always obtaining transfers from low-level D1 schools with 3-4 years of eligibility to be impactful players for a long time. Fewer of those guys transfer down now because they no longer have to sit out a year to go from one D1 school to another. Most of those guys were high level D2 players anyways, and them eventually ending up at IUP is the type of school they should have been at all along.

Closing point on this... I think everyone is rooting for Gannon to win their next 3 games for a number of reasons. I also think them winning is a real kick in the balls for IUP and West Liberty fans. Both schools have been so good for so long. Both schools have been so close so many times. Both schools have done a phenomenal job at recruiting well, retaining core contributors, and developing great players. But neither school has been able to kick in the last door.

And here comes Jordan Fee, baby... Gets to Gannon as a late hire. Turns over an entire roster in a few months. Implements a system that we were told by everyone takes a long time for players to get comfortable with. And then wins a national championship. Yikes...
    Why is it when someone says “kick in the balls” you can almost feel it?!

I’m not rooting for Gannon for that very reason, which is obviously a selfish one. That said, if they do win in then they’ve likely paved the road for everyone else to try the same thing. Don’t like your current coach or roster? Just get rid of them all and start over. I have a feeling job security for coaches and players is getting worse by the minute.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    If UK fires Calipari today, his going away present (per his contact) would be $35m.

Not a bad severance pay.
    And he could continue to get paid to mail it in or sit and watch AAU games in perpetuity.

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied

Find out why Armoni really left.

Just sayin'

There's more to that story than most know.
    I understand there could be a reason. I know Buffalo was closer to home for him. I am sure that there is also more to the story too.

I have no ill will towards him. I’ve merely held firm that he opened the door. He was the first. Right, wrong, or indifferent. He was a great player for IUP. But the door opened when he left. A year later Tomiwa walked out the door. When Foster left, that welcomed the new era of college sports to the KCAC. That’s really all I’m saying.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    If UK fires Calipari today, his going away present (per his contact) would be $35m.

Not a bad severance pay.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

I will get eye rolls from fellow IUP posters. There were people who were applauding Armoni Foster when he left IUP and made the move to D1 to play at Buffalo. I was the single person who identified that "this was it" regarding the end of program stability at IUP. It was going to eventually take one to open the door. I get Foster was at IUP a while, and through the canceled COVID year, but he opened the floodgates so to speak.

From IUP's perspective, you can argue they only really lost Tomiwa to the next level after that, but Joe's program retention since that departure hasn't been close to what it used to be. And sure, that's the game now, which I understand. And I envision some of the turnover was mutual as well. But Joe's entire program was built on the premise of family, loyalty, togetherness, etc. Very firm value-based principles that are mostly non-existent in sports nowadays. Foster leaving was kind of the end of that era of IUP basketball. They lasted a few years into the era of free movement without getting impacted, but that's over now.

IUP and West Liberty are similar programs in the sense that I don't think they necessarily always needed to rely on the "free agent pool" if you will, of college basketball. They were decent at retaining players. Lombardi's real approach was always obtaining transfers from low-level D1 schools with 3-4 years of eligibility to be impactful players for a long time. Fewer of those guys transfer down now because they no longer have to sit out a year to go from one D1 school to another. Most of those guys were high level D2 players anyways, and them eventually ending up at IUP is the type of school they should have been at all along.

Closing point on this... I think everyone is rooting for Gannon to win their next 3 games for a number of reasons. I also think them winning is a real kick in the balls for IUP and West Liberty fans. Both schools have been so good for so long. Both schools have been so close so many times. Both schools have done a phenomenal job at recruiting well, retaining core contributors, and developing great players. But neither school has been able to kick in the last door.

And here comes Jordan Fee, baby... Gets to Gannon as a late hire. Turns over an entire roster in a few months. Implements a system that we were told by everyone takes a long time for players to get comfortable with. And then wins a national championship. Yikes...
    Find out why Armoni really left.

Just sayin'

There's more to that story than most know.

Leave a comment:

• Chuck Norris
    replied
    Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
    I correctly picked the first 3 official games including the Duquesne upset. But then Kentucky screwed me. The stakes are different but Calipari took Oakland about as seriously as he took RMU in 2013.
    Kentucky killed me too. Every other game I lost were teams I had going out in the next round, so if I get through today without any huge losses I might be alright. Nevada’s collapse was ridiculous. I took a flyer on Samford. I tapped out around 11:30 and couldn’t believe the score when I woke up and then I saw the clean block they got screwed on. Probably not coincidentally, that play is not in the official highlight package the NCAA released for that game.

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied
    Originally posted by Scrub View Post

The detriment isn't eventual--it's already here. Just check the portal.

Because of this phenomenon, our teams have already lost a year of eligibility from Dalton Bolon, Pat Robinson, Bryce Butler, Tomiwa, Armoni Foster, and the list goes on.

It's such a double-edged sword when these guys do well at the next level. It speaks well of the quality of ball being played on our teams, but it also opens the floodgates for the next guy to jump.

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied

But his game last night is all the explanation we'll ever need the next time someone (myself included) asks, why would you leave a perennial D2 power with National Championship hopes to play for a middling D1 team in a one-bid league. The answer to that question is Jack Gohlke.

It only takes one night on this stage to change your life. And these kids at least want a shot at it.

Ethan Porterfield, Dustin Sleva, Seger Bonifant, etc. can have 17 of those nights in a D2 career and 14 people on a message board are the only ones who know the name. Jack Gohlke has one single night like that on that stage, and millions of people know who he is. He'll be in the tourney's opening montage every year for the rest of his days. Good for him.

Maybe tonight Bryce Butler will follow suit.
    Dustin Sleva has played pro ball in Europe for several years and currently is playing in the top Spanish League, considered one of the best in Europe. He's doing OK.

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied

I bet you know who Bryce Drew is.

Would you know who Bryce Drew is if it weren't for one single shot that happened in 1998? I'm guessing not.

I hear what you're saying about these things fading, but I'd also bet that Gohlke is getting interview requests (some of which might even be paid) or advertising offers from Oakland County businesses this morning that he wouldn't be getting if he had a big night for Hillsdale. Those might, in fact, change the trajectory of his life or help land him the office job he's eventually going to work. Never know.
    I only ever knew of Bryce Drew the coach. I had to YouTube what you are referencing. I was 5-years old when that play happened, which I think more proves my point than yours. I also don't think that shot led to him becoming a successful head coach in college basketball. In the 3-minute clip I watched, I quickly learned that he was the son of Valpo's coach. It was in his blood.

Leave a comment:

• Scrub
    replied

We in these circles have long been aware of the very minimal separation between the upper-end D2 teams and the low-major schools in D1. As you have more scenarios of guys who are D2 transfers leading D1 programs into the Tournament, or just having success in general, more people are recognizing it.

I think that's good for showing the quality of play at the D2 level. Unfortunately, I think it's also killing our programs. So on one hand, people can romanticize and root for "the story" all they want. Just know it's at the eventual detriment of the whatever D2 program you choose to root for.
    The detriment isn't eventual--it's already here. Just check the portal.

Because of this phenomenon, our teams have already lost a year of eligibility from Dalton Bolon, Pat Robinson, Bryce Butler, Tomiwa, Armoni Foster, and the list goes on.

It's such a double-edged sword when these guys do well at the next level. It speaks well of the quality of ball being played on our teams, but it also opens the floodgates for the next guy to jump.

Leave a comment:

• Scrub
    replied

Jack Gohlke will have a story to talk about on virtual meetings when he is working some corporate job very soon. But his life has not been changed forever outside of his own perspective of it. He'll be in the One Shining Moment montage this year. He'll be soon forgotten afterwards. We romanticize things like that far too much. In a month, nobody will know who he is.

I don't mean to sound cruel or harsh, or that I'm downplaying his moment, but he's not the first guy to have a big night for a small school in a big NCAA Tournament upset.
    I bet you know who Bryce Drew is.

Would you know who Bryce Drew is if it weren't for one single shot that happened in 1998? I'm guessing not.

I hear what you're saying about these things fading, but I'd also bet that Gohlke is getting interview requests (some of which might even be paid) or advertising offers from Oakland County businesses this morning that he wouldn't be getting if he had a big night for Hillsdale. Those might, in fact, change the trajectory of his life or help land him the office job he's eventually going to work. Never know.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    I correctly picked the first 3 official games including the Duquesne upset. But then Kentucky screwed me. The stakes are different but Calipari took Oakland about as seriously as he took RMU in 2013.

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied

And ... he'll now be the poster boy for future D2 stars to leave D2.
    We in these circles have long been aware of the very minimal separation between the upper-end D2 teams and the low-major schools in D1. As you have more scenarios of guys who are D2 transfers leading D1 programs into the Tournament, or just having success in general, more people are recognizing it.

I think that's good for showing the quality of play at the D2 level. Unfortunately, I think it's also killing our programs. So on one hand, people can romanticize and root for "the story" all they want. Just know it's at the eventual detriment of the whatever D2 program you choose to root for.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X