Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUP24 View Post
    I can't wait for Mercyhurst to get in and win their first round game.
    Hursts NCAA partisipation will hinge on how well (or poorly) they do in the PSAC tourney. First round loss and they won't get an invitation to the dance...win one but lose the next, MAYBE they get a ticket (depending on what happens in other conferences)...win 2+, they are probably in.

Comment

• Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

Hursts NCAA partisipation will hinge on how well (or poorly) they do in the PSAC tourney. First round loss and they won't get an invitation to the dance...win one but lose the next, MAYBE they get a ticket (depending on what happens in other conferences)...win 2+, they are probably in.
      They have a tough week upcoming. Cal and SRU.

Comment

I'll repeat... I can't wait for Mercyhurst to get in and win their first round game... I just hope it's against somebody other than IUP.

Comment

I'll repeat... I can't wait for Mercyhurst to get in and win their first round game... I just hope it's against somebody other than IUP.
          Mercyhurst is a lot like IUP this year in that both lost their star post player for the season very early. The Lakers lost their prized import in their exhibition game. ESU lost their star in the fall, too. It's pretty incredible all have done so well after sustaining such losses.

Comment

Teams that are in at this point:

IUP
            WLU
            Fairmont
            UC

Teams that still have work to do but control their own destiny:

??????WV State
            Ship

Teams that need to play well through their tourney and hope others falter:

JC Smith
            Fayet State
            VA State
            Hurst
            Cal
            ESU

Of course, there is also the wild card route of winning a conf tourney. If an outsider (or even two) does that, it could boot a quality team.

Comment

IUP
              WLU
              Fairmont
              UC

??????WV State
              Ship

JC Smith
              Fayet State
              VA State
              Hurst
              Cal
              ESU

Of course, there is also the wild card route of winning a conf tourney. If an outsider (or even two) does that, it could boot a quality team.

Comment

• I get what you are saying. I'm saying that they have a lot of work to do to have a chance.

Comment

IUP
                  WLU
                  Fairmont
                  UC

??????WV State
                  Ship

JC Smith
                  Fayet State
                  VA State
                  Hurst
                  Cal
                  ESU

Don't forget 10-loss Virginia Union (who swept Va State). We've already seen one 10-loss team ranked. Winston-Salem is another candidate.

West Chester is also still alive.

The thing killing Cal is they have so few big wins. They've lost to just about every good team they've played in the West and also lost to Bowie and Charleston (by 3 pts combined).

ESU has the same problem. They have the Ship win but not much else on the resume in regard to big wins.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Don't forget 10-loss Virginia Union (who swept Va State). We've already seen one 10-loss team ranked. Winston-Salem is another candidate.

West Chester is also still alive.

The thing killing Cal is they have so few big wins. They've lost to just about every good team they've played in the West and also lost to Bowie and Charleston (by 3 pts combined).

ESU has the same problem. They have the Ship win but not much else on the resume in regard to big wins.
                    The MOUNTAIN CATS OF UPJ ???

Comment

• West Liberty just thumped Fairmont State.

It's clear IUP and WL have the top two spots. Beyond that ... have fun.

Comment

• Outside of IUP being ranked first and West Liberty being second ... take your guess. That said, here's where the records fall after this past weekend. Of note, the CIAA regular season is complete.

MEN'S

1. IUP (18-2, 23-2)
                        2. West Liberty (17-3, 22-4)

Next 3 (listed by losses only):

Charleston (15-5, 21-5)
                        Fairmont State (14-6, 20-6)
                        Shippensburg (16-4, 20-6)

Final 3 spots (listed by losses only):

Fayetteville State (10-7, 21-7)
                        Pitt-Johnstown (14-6, 20-7)
                        Johnson C. Smith (13-4, 19-7)
                        West Virginia State (13-7, 18-7)
                        Mercyhurst (15-5, 17-7)
                        Virginia State (12-3, 19-8)
                        West Chester (12-8, 18-8)
                        California (14-6, 18-8)
                        East Stroudsburg (13-7, 17-8)
                        Virginia Union (11-4, 18-10)
                        Winston-Salem State (12-4, 15-10)

Comment

Outside of IUP being ranked first and West Liberty being second ... take your guess. That said, here's where the records fall after this past weekend. Of note, the CIAA regular season is complete.

MEN'S

1. IUP (18-2, 23-2)
                          2. West Liberty (17-3, 22-4)

Next 3 (listed by losses only):

Charleston (15-5, 21-5)
                          Fairmont State (14-6, 20-6)
                          Shippensburg (16-4, 20-6)

Final 3 spots (listed by losses only):

Fayetteville State (10-7, 21-7)
                          Pitt-Johnstown (14-6, 20-7)
                          Johnson C. Smith (13-4, 19-7)
                          West Virginia State (13-7, 18-7)
                          Mercyhurst (15-5, 17-7)
                          Virginia State (12-3, 19-8)
                          West Chester (12-8, 18-8)
                          California (14-6, 18-8)
                          East Stroudsburg (13-7, 17-8)
                          Virginia Union (11-4, 18-10)
                          Winston-Salem State (12-4, 15-10)
                          Curious what Ships record is against ranked teams? If memory serves me, that is one of the selection criteria. Wonder how they stack up against fellow 6-loss Fairmont and the 7-loss teams? WV State is 2-3 (W's over WLU and Fairmont) vs ranked teams and Fairmont is 4-3 (W's over Ship and UC and two W's over WV State).
                          Last edited by boatcapt; 02-24-2020, 03:35 PM.

Comment

Outside of IUP being ranked first and West Liberty being second ... take your guess. That said, here's where the records fall after this past weekend. Of note, the CIAA regular season is complete.

Why does the CIAA think that it's good for its teams to have a two-week break between the conference tournament an the first round of the NCAA regionals? Never could figure this one out.

Comment

• Here's my projection for this week's ranking:
                              1. Indiana (22-2) [1]
                              2. West Liberty (22-4) [3]
                              3. Charleston (21-5) [5]
                              4. Fairmont State (19-6) [4]
                              5. Shippensburg (19-6) [2]
                              6. Virginia State (19-8) [6]
                              7. Johnson C. Smith (19-7) [10]
                              8. Mercyhurst (16-7) [NR]
                              9. West Virginia State (17-7) [7]
                              10. Virginia Union (18-10) [NR]
                              Bowie State's presence in last week's rankings is messing with my head a bit. If the committee repeats the same process that put the Bulldogs into the rankings, it may very well result in Virginia Union being ranked this week. VUU has the #10 regional RPI and a sweep of Virginia State. (VSU, VUU, and Johnson C. Smith have earned three of the four first-round byes available in the CIAA tournament, which begins Tuesday in Charlotte.)

It's also quite possible that Pitt Johnstown stays in. I think West Virginia State's wins over the #2 and #3 teams in the region will be enough to keep WVSU in. California will now have a win over a ranked opponent, with Mercyhurst presumably cracking the top 10; completing the sweep would be extremely valuable to the Vulcans.

Comment

• Originally posted by Golden89 View Post

Why does the CIAA think that it's good for its teams to have a two-week break between the conference tournament an the first round of the NCAA regionals? Never could figure this one out.
                                CIAA always seems to march to the beat of a different drum!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X