Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another quick thought is how weird it is that there were two straight all-PSAC regionals in '94-'95.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scrub View Post
      Wow, Inkblot, this is fantastic! I'm gonna have to spend some time looking this over.

But at a quick glance, my first thought was: "Ah yes, I remember when Salem had brief stranglehold on the region." They were utterly brutal to play in that period starting around 1997.
      They were amazingly a powerhouse there for a couple years. Didn't they go by Salem International or something like that?

Comment

• What's striking to me. 16-4...The record of #1 seeds winning the Region before 2014. 1-5...The record of #1 seeds winning the Region over the last six years! THAT is a dramatic change!!!

Comment

Wow, Inkblot, this is fantastic! I'm gonna have to spend some time looking this over.

But at a quick glance, my first thought was: "Ah yes, I remember when Salem had brief stranglehold on the region." They were utterly brutal to play in that period starting around 1997.
          Oh so quietly, Salem has put together an 18-8 season this far. Dont think they can "get in" but if were talking about 10 loss teams, we should probably consider an 8 loss team as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

Oh so quietly, Salem has put together an 18-8 season this far. Dont think they can "get in" but if were talking about 10 loss teams, we should probably consider an 8 loss team as well.
            They played a pretty cherry-picked schedule. Their SOS is No. 305 in D2. Not much meat on those bones.

The few good teams they played all hammered them pretty good (Cal, Daemen, WL).

Comment

Another quick thought is how weird it is that there were two straight all-PSAC regionals in '94-'95.

Comment

• You're right--I see, now, that Gannon is in another color on the infographic Inkblot created. I never realized that Gannon was an independent then.

Comment

• The other thing Inkblot's infographic leads me to wonder is this: Does anyone recall what prompted Conference Carolinas & CIAA to swap regions around 2008-2009 (or so it appears from the graphic)?

Looks like Mt. Olive & Barton had some nice runs in the region before they headed out.

Comment

The other thing Inkblot's infographic leads me to wonder is this: Does anyone recall what prompted Conference Carolinas & CIAA to swap regions around 2008-2009 (or so it appears from the graphic)?

Looks like Mt. Olive & Barton had some nice runs in the region before they headed out.

NEVER mention the year 2008 and the name Mt. Olive.

Very touchy words with the poster IUP CRIMSON HAWKS

LOL

So you know, in 2008 IUP hosted the regional (women's) and lost on Day 1 to No. 8 seed Mt. Olive.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

They were amazingly a powerhouse there for a couple years. Didn't they go by Salem International or something like that?
                      Yes, they were called Salem International during their days as a basketball power. Leading up to that time, I believe they actually went by an Asian-sounding name like Salem Teikyo

Comment

Yes, they were called Salem International during their days as a basketball power. Leading up to that time, I believe they actually went by an Asian-sounding name like Salem Teikyo
                        From Wiki:

"In 1989, Salem formed an alliance with Teikyo University of Tokyo, Japan, which changed the focus of the school to one of education of international students. Salem College was renamed Salem-Teikyo University. The alliance with Teikyo ended in 2000, when the school was purchased by investors from Singapore. At that time, the school changed its name to Salem International University. Salem International University was acquired by Salem Education LLC in June 2005.[1] The school was renamed Salem University in September 2017.[2]"

Comment

• Originally posted by jrshooter View Post

From Wiki:

"In 1989, Salem formed an alliance with Teikyo University of Tokyo, Japan, which changed the focus of the school to one of education of international students. Salem College was renamed Salem-Teikyo University. The alliance with Teikyo ended in 2000, when the school was purchased by investors from Singapore. At that time, the school changed its name to Salem International University. Salem International University was acquired by Salem Education LLC in June 2005.[1] The school was renamed Salem University in September 2017.[2]"
                          Hey, not too shabby--my memory came up with some of that without having to look it up! But thanks for doing the legwork I was too lazy to do, jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

So you know, in 2008 IUP hosted the regional (women's) and lost on Day 1 to No. 8 seed Mt. Olive.
                            Well, the WLU crowd is really hoping your ladies get another shot at hosting this year . . . because maybe the West Texas/St. Ed's situation from last year will happen again, and the ASRC can host half the regional!

Comment

Hey, not too shabby--my memory came up with some of that without having to look it up! But thanks for doing the legwork I was too lazy to do, jr.
                              I remember Ship playing Salem-Teikyo in baseball. I expected it to be a visiting Asian school.

Comment

Another quick thought is how weird it is that there were two straight all-PSAC regionals in '94-'95.
                                1994 & 1995 were not all-PSAC. Gannon was an independent from 1992-95 and joined the GLIAC and the Great Lakes region from 1996-2008. They joined the PSAC the Atlantic Region in 2009 and won the whole thing.

The 1994 Gannon team advanced in the 4/5 regional play at the Hammermill in game on a three with 0.1 seconds left off an inbound from an alternate possession to beat Millersville by 1 point. GU gave host Cal all they could handle in the regional semifinal, taking the lead with 15-ish seconds left to play to lose by 1 on a runner high off the glass by <first name> White (CalPA will give me the name) in the closing seconds. Edinboro came back to beat IUP in the opener at Hamer Hall. The next night, Gannon played Edinboro in the regional third place game (when did they get rid of that game?) and I got to see a great IUP / Cal contest that was won by visiting IUP. What a fun, tense week of basketball that was!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X