Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Women's Regional Rankings - Third Release (these do not reflect games played since Tuesday):

1. IUP
    2. Glenville State
    3. Bowie State
    4. Virginia Union
    5. Notre Dame
    6. Gannon
    7. California
    8. Fayetteville State (clinched NCAA bid)
    9. Charleston
    10. Lincoln

Notes since release:

* Since release, Cal lost at IUP. For the Vulcans to see another day, Charleston better lose tomorrow.

* Notre Dame plays Charleston tomorrow

* The MEC has one team left standing that isn't currently ranked (Concord). The other three remaining are ranked.

* IUP and Gannon play currently unranked ESU and Shippensburg tommorrow. ESU has 9 losses and has to win the PSAC to move forward. Shippensburg has to win at least one game (likely two) this weekend to have a shot at a bid.

* Lincoln has an impressive 23-6 record sitting in the 10 spot. Their metrics (SOS, etc.) must be holding them down.
    Gannon seems firmly entrenched at number 6. There appears to be a decent-sized gap between 5 and 6 and they won't drop below Cal. They might be able to rise to 5 if they win the PSAC. The only thing that would keep them out is both the PSAC and MEC being won by "bid stealers." And that's entirely possible. IUP isn't exactly playing their best all of the season and anything can happen at a neutral court conference tournament. If GU and IUP both win today, then Gannon is in.

Comment

They can turn on a weekend. I'd trade IUP's PSAC tournament title in a second for a Regional last year.

Hope to do good tomorrow ... really hope to do good next weekend.

Comment

• IUP-Ship tomorrow for the title. Hoping for a great game.

Comment

• Originally posted by jrshooter View Post
          IUP-Ship tomorrow for the title. Hoping for a great game.
          Redshirt Joe has a decision to make. Does he shut down David Morris to make sure he's ready for next week?

I sure hope he can go tomorrow.

Comment

• Just back from the semis. The IUP-East Stroud game showed both the strengths and weaknesses of the full-court press system. Stroud dug themselves an early hole, but managed to cause some disruption near the end of the first half and then climb right back into the game at the start of the second half. But East Stroud has been known to have stretches of offensive inefficiency, and IUP came up with the most effective way to negate the press. When you stop ESU from scoring, they can't set the thing up. Armoni Foster had a nice second half for IUP, and it was lights out for the Warriors.

With Ship not shooting the ball all that well and all we were hearing out here about the great Mercyhurst defense, I was figuring on a tough game there. And the Lakers defense, as advertised, was pretty good. But some folks tend to forget Ship under Fite's tutelage usually plays some pretty decent defense as well. Bottom line, Mercyhurst got fewer points that we did. I will say I was damn impressed with McIntosh, Mercyhurst's little waterbug guard. He got away from Talley on several occasions, and that's not easy to do. Wasn't as impressed with Gross, their PSAC second-teamer. He got into foul trouble fairly quickly and wasn't much of a factor. Ship killed them on the boards, one reason for the win. Biss and Castello were better today than on Wednesday, but still not sharp. Part of it was Mercyhurst defense, but Ship still missed a bunch of open looks and bunnies today.

I haven't had a chance to watch IUP much this year, but I'm very impressed with their starting five. The Hawks will have another title if Ship doesn't pick up its shooting because the Raiders certainly aren't going to hold that bunch to 51 points. Just hope it's a good game. The win today probably gives Ship a very strong shot at being included in the NCAA regional.
            Last edited by Ship69; 03-07-2020, 10:58 PM.

Comment

• Well ... you panel of experts ... Mercy and ESU lost today. As did West Virginia State.

Tonight's Charleston vs Fairmont game, NCAA-wise, is irrelevent. They are both getting invited. Seeding is on the line, obviously.

So .... what does it all mean? What happens to Manchel? Anything? ESU may be done. WVSU, too.

Big win for Ship today. Huge. Do they climb?

Comment

• Hard to be too disappointed with ESU's season overall. I had no idea what to expect from the team coming in. Excited to see what happens in 20-21.

Comment

• Originally posted by EastStroud13 View Post
                  Hard to be too disappointed with ESU's season overall. I had no idea what to expect from the team coming in. Excited to see what happens in 20-21.
                  They should have a good team next year. There were a lot of good young players in the East. I suspect it will be a real dogfight next season.

Comment

Well ... you panel of experts ... Mercy and ESU lost today. As did West Virginia State.

Tonight's Charleston vs Fairmont game, NCAA-wise, is irrelevent. They are both getting invited. Seeding is on the line, obviously.

So .... what does it all mean? What happens to Manchel? Anything? ESU may be done. WVSU, too.

That was a big win for the Raiders. With two wins to end the season they didn't exactly limp into the tournament, but the production had definitely dropped a notch since they clinched the East title. They have turned up the defensive intensity and basically beat Mercyhurst at its own game Saturday. I don't know if they'll move up, but I would think it's almost impossible now to leave them out of the NCAA field, win or lose on Sunday. With Winston-Salem in, that probably was the death knell for East Stroud.

Comment

Well ... you panel of experts ... Mercy and ESU lost today. As did West Virginia State.

Comment

• Historically, the committee has given a push to conference champions.

I can honestly see Winston-Salem getting up to the 7 seed. That could put Mercyhurst in the 8 hole.

Comment

• Originally posted by EastStroud13 View Post
                          Hard to be too disappointed with ESU's season overall. I had no idea what to expect from the team coming in. Excited to see what happens in 20-21.
                          ESU is tough to play. The play hard all 40 minutes. Good athletes.

Comment

Historically, the committee has given a push to conference champions.

I can honestly see Winston-Salem getting up to the 7 seed. That could put Mercyhurst in the 8 hole.

Comment

Historically, the committee has given a push to conference champions.

That would be a travesty if IUP has to play Hurst first round as the one seed.

Comment

• Notes from other regions:

Colorado Mesa upset Colorado Mines to "steal" a bid in the South Central.

Miles, ranked 10th in the South, secured an auto-bid.

Western Washington pulled off a 4-point play (!) at the buzzer to win the GNAC. They were formerly a 9-seed in the region.

Walsh "steals" a bid in the Midwest--an unranked team earning the auto-bid there.
                                Last edited by Scrub; 03-08-2020, 10:49 AM.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X