Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If any stranger came in here and read the last two pages, they would know exactly what I meant.

Comment

• Women's Regional Rankings - Third Release (these do not reflect games played since Tuesday):

1. IUP
      2. Glenville State
      3. Bowie State
      4. Virginia Union
      5. Notre Dame
      6. Gannon
      7. California
      8. Fayetteville State (clinched NCAA bid)
      9. Charleston
      10. Lincoln

Notes since release:

* Since release, Cal lost at IUP. For the Vulcans to see another day, Charleston better lose tomorrow.

* Notre Dame plays Charleston tomorrow

* The MEC has one team left standing that isn't currently ranked (Concord). The other three remaining are ranked.

* IUP and Gannon play currently unranked ESU and Shippensburg tommorrow. ESU has 9 losses and has to win the PSAC to move forward. Shippensburg has to win at least one game (likely two) this weekend to have a shot at a bid.

* Lincoln has an impressive 23-6 record sitting in the 10 spot. Their metrics (SOS, etc.) must be holding them down.

Comment

• Originally posted by jrshooter View Post
        If any stranger came in here and read the last two pages, they would know exactly what I meant.
        Who started it?

Comment

• Attached Files

Comment

Correct

Comment

• I don't know why anyone is questioning IUP's recent dominance. They've been the cream of the region for 2+ years now. If the IUP posters want to puff their chest a bit about that, they've earned that right as far as I'm concerned. And my experience on this board tells me that if one of our teams goes in and beats them in the regional (whether it's WSSU, WLU, Ship, etc.), most of those posters will tip their cap to our teams' performance.

Yes, there's a bit of an IUP bias on the board sometimes, but that's only because they have more active posters (just like they have consistently stronger attendance numbers). They support their team vigorously, and that's kinda what this is all about. I'd love it if the CIAA posters would hang around a bit more prior to March each season. Or if posters from some of the other teams would get a bit more active on here. It would make for a stronger and more fun community overall.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scrub View Post
                I don't know why anyone is questioning IUP's recent dominance. They've been the cream of the region for 2+ years now. If the IUP posters want to puff their chest a bit about that, they've earned that right as far as I'm concerned. And my experience on this board tells me that if one of our teams goes in and beats them in the regional (whether it's WSSU, WLU, Ship, etc.), most of those posters will tip their cap to our teams' performance.

Yes, there's a bit of an IUP bias on the board sometimes, but that's only because they have more active posters (just like they have consistently stronger attendance numbers). They support their team vigorously, and that's kinda what this is all about. I'd love it if the CIAA posters would hang around a bit more prior to March each season. Or if posters from some of the other teams would get a bit more active on here. It would make for a stronger and more fun community overall.
                Your mileage may vary.

Comment

• This side of the board is 100 times more civil than the cesspool football side. That side is almost hard to read during the actual football season.

But, come on, it wasn't even an IUP poster who called WSSU a 'bid stealer'. Nor was it an IUP poster who said IUP better be ready to play a road game at WSSU.

By and large, the discussions on this side are very straight forward. The more IUP-centric discussions are in the actual IUP forum. Note: If you don't want to read about it ... don't go in to that thread.

Comment

• Men's Regional Rankings - Third Release (Games played since Tuesday not included):

1. IUP
                    2. West Liberty
                    3. Charleston
                    4. Fairmont State
                    5. Shippensburg
                    6. Mercyhurst
                    7. Virginia State
                    8. Fayetteville State
                    9. East Stroudsburg
                    10. Johnson C. Smith

What we know since then and what can play out this weekend:

1. Winston-Salem State has clinched a bid by winning the CIAA Tournament. At minimum, WSSU will be the 8 seed, however they could get up to No. 7 or perhaps as high as No. 6.
                    2. The (4) PSAC teams ranked all won Wednesday night -- and to some degree play one another this weekend

(The 'what if' portion)
                    3. If East Stroudsburg defeats IUP, it likely spells doom for Virginia State. An IUP win tomorrow keeps VSU alive.
                    4. Fairmont State has a tricky game today versus Glenville State
                    5. A Mercyhurst win at Shippensburg tomorrow likely sends the Lakers past the Raiders in the seeding. A Shippensburg win tomorrow could move the Raiders up at least one seeding spot.
                    6. An IUP loss tomorrow and a WL MEC title likely sends the regional to West Virginia. An IUP win tomorrow could clinch home court in the Regional regardless of what happens Sunday.
                    7. For Fayetteville State to stay alive, Mercyhurst needs to lose tomorrow. A Shippensburg loss would help, too.
                    8. Johnson C. Smith has little to no chance of an NCAA bid.
                    9. If Charleston and Fairmont State both win today (as expected), they will play each other this weekend.
                    10. There still is the small chance an un-ranked MEC team can win the MEC and crash the party. If you had to pick a candidate it would probably be Glenville State or West Virginia State.

Comment

I don't know why anyone is questioning IUP's recent dominance. They've been the cream of the region for 2+ years now. If the IUP posters want to puff their chest a bit about that, they've earned that right as far as I'm concerned. And my experience on this board tells me that if one of our teams goes in and beats them in the regional (whether it's WSSU, WLU, Ship, etc.), most of those posters will tip their cap to our teams' performance.

Every season is different, whether for individual teams or leagues. Nowhere is that more true than college basketball, especially with the one-and-dones in major college and the transfer portals at all levels. A league can be king of the region for one or two seasons, then down the next. And because your league is the best overall league might not mean it has the best team, and vice versa. In Division !, I think the Big Ten is by far the deepest and most competitive league this year, but it might be that none of their teams will win a national championship. I always try not to crow about my favorites teams or leagues too much because that can come back to haunt you in short order.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                        (The 'what if' portion)
                        3. If East Stroudsburg defeats IUP, it likely spells doom for Virginia State. An IUP win tomorrow keeps VSU alive. An IUP win over ESU ends ESU's tourney chances.
                        4. Fairmont State has a tricky game today versus Glenville State. But win or lose, they should be in the playoff field.
                        5. A Mercyhurst win at Shippensburg tomorrow likely sends the Lakers past the Raiders in the seeding. A Shippensburg win tomorrow could move the Raiders up at least one seeding spot. A Ship W will move them up only if Fairmont loses.
                        6. An IUP loss tomorrow and a WL MEC title likely sends the regional to West Virginia. An IUP win tomorrow could clinch home court in the Regional regardless of what happens Sunday. Don't think a WL MEC title will be enough to overcome what would be a one game IUP lead in the W/L column and semifinal apperance in the PSAC Conf Tourney.
                        7. For Fayetteville State to stay alive, Mercyhurst needs to lose tomorrow. A Shippensburg loss would help, too. Since Hurst and Ship are playing tomorrow, one of them is going to lose. Sooo regardless of the outcome tomorrow, Fayetteville stays alive?? ;P
                        8. Johnson C. Smith has little to no chance of an NCAA bid. They should already have their lockers cleaned out.
                        9. If Charleston and Fairmont State both win today (as expected), they will play each other this weekend. Regardless of outcome, both should be in the Regionals.
                        10. There still is the small chance an un-ranked MEC team can win the MEC and crash the party. If you had to pick a candidate it would probably be Glenville State or West Virginia State. Both are playing foes that they have beaten in the regular season so there's a chance that both advance and keep their playoff dreams alive. #4 WVS probably has the best chance of advancing as they are playing #5 Wheeling. If Wheeling beats WVS tonight THEY become the dark horse!
                        +
                        Last edited by boatcapt; 03-06-2020, 09:52 AM.

Comment

If any stranger came in here and read the last two pages, they would know exactly what I meant.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Every season is different, whether for individual teams or leagues. Nowhere is that more true than college basketball, especially with the one-and-dones in major college and the transfer portals at all levels. A league can be king of the region for one or two seasons, then down the next. And because your league is the best overall league might not mean it has the best team, and vice versa. In Division !, I think the Big Ten is by far the deepest and most competitive league this year, but it might be that none of their teams will win a national championship. I always try not to crow about my favorites teams or leagues too much because that can come back to haunt you in short order.
                            Well said, Ship69. It's so true--especially with rampant transfers these days--that basketball fortunes can turn on a dime year to year.

Comment

Well said, Ship69. It's so true--especially with rampant transfers these days--that basketball fortunes can turn on a dime year to year.
                              They can turn on a weekend. I'd trade IUP's PSAC tournament title in a second for a Regional last year.

Hope to do good tomorrow ... really hope to do good next weekend.

Comment

• That's stating it a bit strong. I'm no IUP hater. You've got plenty of those elsewhere. (In other words, get over yourself.) :)

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X