Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

So you know, in 2008 IUP hosted the regional (women's) and lost on Day 1 to No. 8 seed Mt. Olive.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scrub View Post
      Wow, Inkblot, this is fantastic! I'm gonna have to spend some time looking this over.

But at a quick glance, my first thought was: "Ah yes, I remember when Salem had brief stranglehold on the region." They were utterly brutal to play in that period starting around 1997.
      Absolutely, Inkblot, I love this. It also catches me up on the decade and a half GU wasn't in the region. Forgot 2007 Barton was in the same region as the PSAC schools. The 2007 Barton team that pulled this off, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WzmQmz9Kdc

Comment

• The 1994 and 1995 regionals were almost entirely PSAC because it was the only conference in the region. I think Gannon, Mercyhurst, Pitt Johnstown, and District of Columbia were all in the region, though it's hard to tell for sure. The WVIAC and Conference Carolinas were still transitioning from the NAIA at the time (and Conference Carolinas was initially placed in the Southeast). If you go back a little further, the NYCAC (now the East Coast Conference) was in the region.

I've made these charts for every region. You can see them all here: https://imgur.com/a/cVHzwrf.

Comment

• And Inkblot designated winners and runners-up! This is so tremendous!

Wins by seed:
          1: 17
          2: 6
          3: 1 (IUP in 2015)
          4: 1 (Mercyhurst 2019)
          5: 1 (IUP in 2000)

The number 1 team won the region for 8 straight years from 2007-13 (Barton 2, Cal, Gannon, IUP, West Liberty 3) and 12 of 13 years from 2001-13. But the 1-seed has won just once in the last six years.

One more fun fact. In the 17 years of the eight-team regional, the host team has won the first game in all but one instance. We all know who we're talking about. :-)
          Last edited by Golden89; 02-25-2020, 08:45 PM. Reason: Corrected error in 3-5 seeds winning

Comment

• Originally posted by Inkblot View Post
            Y'all might be interested in this chart I made of Atlantic Regional appearances back through 1994. In each year, teams are listed in order of seed
            Nice. I can relive Gannon's six straight NCAA appearances from 2000-05 under Jerry Slocum when they failed to win a game. Ironically, GU made the Great Lakes Regional (now called Central) in 2008 under Reilly and they finally won a GL regional game in their last appearance.
            Last edited by Golden89; 02-25-2020, 08:46 PM.

Comment

• I'm not showing inkblot's chart with his post anymore. That's a shame; great resource. Any way of "anchoring" that in there?

Comment

• Originally posted by Golden89 View Post
                And Inkblot designated winners and runners-up! This is so tremendous!

Wins by seed:
                1: 17
                2: 6
                3: 1 (IUP in 2015)
                4: 1 (Mercyhurst 2019)
                5: 1 (IUP in 2000)

The number 1 team won the region for 8 straight years from 2007-13 (Barton 2, Cal, Gannon, IUP, West Liberty 3) and 12 of 13 years from 2001-13. But the 1-seed has won just once in the last six years.

One more fun fact. In the 17 years of the eight-team regional, the host team has won the first game in all but one instance. We all know who we're talking about. :-)

This current run isn't terribly shocking. If the regional is in a PSAC venue (one that is a PASSHE member), the students are on Spring Break and the campuses are dead. And, regardless of where it's played, the 'visiting' team really only has to play one game in front of an actual crowd. Every regional I've ever attended goes pretty much the same. The first day has four games -- and, three of them are played in front of basically empty seats. The second day, the first game is empty for the first half but then starts to fill some in the second half as the home crowd arrives for the second game.

Depending when Spring Break falls, the Tuesday night game could get a big crowd. It depends if Spring Break was ending on Regional Weekend or if it was just starting. If it's the latter, ... townie central.

I would say in this current stretch of just 1 of 6 host teams winning ... the region has just got a lot better. It's much deeper.

Consider last year Mercyhurst won it and barely escaped Round 1 in OT. Fairmont State had them dead in the water, too.

And, of course, the year No. 8 seed Mercyhurst knocked off No. 1 seed and host Wheeling Jesuit ... should come as no surprise. The Lakers are the worst possible team to play in a one-and-done.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

This current run isn't terribly shocking. If the regional is in a PSAC venue (one that is a PASSHE member), the students are on Spring Break and the campuses are dead. And, regardless of where it's played, the 'visiting' team really only has to play one game in front of an actual crowd. Every regional I've ever attended goes pretty much the same. The first day has four games -- and, three of them are played in front of basically empty seats. The second day, the first game is empty for the first half but then starts to fill some in the second half as the home crowd arrives for the second game.

Depending when Spring Break falls, the Tuesday night game could get a big crowd. It depends if Spring Break was ending on Regional Weekend or if it was just starting. If it's the latter, ... townie central.

I would say in this current stretch of just 1 of 6 host teams winning ... the region has just got a lot better. It's much deeper.

Consider last year Mercyhurst won it and barely escaped Round 1 in OT. Fairmont State had them dead in the water, too.

And, of course, the year No. 8 seed Mercyhurst knocked off No. 1 seed and host Wheeling Jesuit ... should come as no surprise. The Lakers are the worst possible team to play in a one-and-done.
                  The only year I would disagree with you on is when Gannon hosted the regional when they had Goldcamp and crew. Every game that place was packed. I believe that was when IUP's crew with Webb was just beginning to grow the Joe era. Great tournament!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by jrshooter View Post
                    I'm not showing inkblot's chart with his post anymore. That's a shame; great resource. Any way of "anchoring" that in there?
                    Permalink to it: https://i.imgur.com/zMM00am.png

Comment

• The new rankings are out:
                      1 Indiana (Pennsylvania) 22-2 22-2
                      2 West Liberty 22-4 22-3
                      3 Fairmont State 19-6 19-6
                      4 Shippensburg 19-6 19-6
                      5 Charleston (West Virginia) 21-5 21-5
                      6 Virginia State 19-8 19-8
                      7 Mercyhurst 16-7 16-7
                      8 Johnson C. Smith 19-7 19-7
                      9 Fayetteville State 19-7 19-7
                      10 West Virginia State 17-7 17-7

Comment

• Updated 'official' Women's Regional Rankings

1. IUP
                        2. Glenville State
                        3. Virginia Union
                        4. Notre Dame
                        5. Bowie State
                        6. Gannon
                        7. California
                        8. Lincoln
                        9. Charleston
                        10. Shepherd

Comment

• Ship can feel pretty fortunate it only dropped to fourth, I think.

Comment

• On the men's side I'd have to assume UPJ, California and East Stroudsburg are just missing the Top 10.

Cal has the golden opportunity tonight. We'll see if they can cash the ticket. UPJ will get its shot Saturday night.

Comment

• Originally posted by jrshooter View Post
                              Ship can feel pretty fortunate it only dropped to fourth, I think.
                              Yes, even though they've clinched the division, I think the games tonight and Saturday are very important. If they finish poorly and have a bad PSAC tourney as they did last year, they're probably out again.

Comment

• Originally posted by Inkblot View Post
                                The new rankings are out:
                                And there's Mercyhurst, lurking in the shadows, ready to end some higher seed's dreams of glory.

I agree with IUPbig--they're a nightmare in a one-and-done situation. Gotta get them off that #7 line over the next week or two!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X