Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Psac women's standings - 12/27/2016

Originally posted by Mjtheman View Post
    Edinboro lost its starting forward to an injury early. Also, early foul trouble led to point guard and center to only play half the game. Not a very impressive showing considering what happened. You would think mercyhurst is ranked 8 next wed due to the loss against seton hill. Edinboro probably goes to 7 with a much more favorable remaining schedule. Hopefully all four psac west teams make the NCAA tournament. They are all very good teams.
    Depending on the outcome of the three league tournaments, the ATLANTIC REGION WBB top eight will be a total guessing game. Aside from CALU a lot of these teams seem bent on playing their way out of the NCAA. Both VUU and WJU lost this week, BORO continues to stumble and a region that had 3 legitimate EE candidates a year ago, looks very weak aside from the VULCANS. Even JESS STROM seems a bit off her game by allowing LANA DORAN to continue shooting though she has limited offensive skills. A coach's loyalty to a veteran player sometimes clouds their judgement and it looks like JS will live or die with her ENGLISH IMPORT.

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post
      Depending on the outcome of the three league tournaments, the ATLANTIC REGION WBB top eight will be a total guessing game. Aside from CALU a lot of these teams seem bent on playing their way out of the NCAA. Both VUU and WJU lost this week, BORO continues to stumble and a region that had 3 legitimate EE candidates a year ago, looks very weak aside from the VULCANS. Even JESS STROM seems a bit off her game by allowing LANA DORAN to continue shooting though she has limited offensive skills. A coach's loyalty to a veteran player sometimes clouds their judgement and it looks like JS will live or die with her ENGLISH IMPORT.
      While Doran's offensive skills might not be as good as others on the team, the big reason she's been a critical part of this team is her defensive prowess (ie. stuff that doesn't show up on the stat sheets). While this could come back to bite Cal if they make a deep run in the playoffs, I don't have a problem with this tradeoff, especially when Cal has pretty much made their bones as a defensive powerhouse under Strom.
      Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post
        While Doran's offensive skills might not be as good as others on the team, the big reason she's been a critical part of this team is her defensive prowess (ie. stuff that doesn't show up on the stat sheets). While this could come back to bite Cal if they make a deep run in the playoffs, I don't have a problem with this tradeoff, especially when Cal has pretty much made their bones as a defensive powerhouse under Strom.
        With the amazing chance to watch these games streamed by CUTV, what I notice about LD is her relentless defense and her sometimes awkward offense. In 14-15 she was almost a pure stopper taking the 6th most shots for a .371 FGM %. This year she's taken the 3rd most shots for a .368 %. Some of her moves to the hoop remind me of IRINA KUKOLJ but LANA'S shots seem to rim out a lot more. As the playoffs approach, I'd really like her to return to the stopper role and leave the shooting to GLENN, SPORIO and the 3 bigs. Total faith in COACH JESS to make the right calls.

Comment

With a dominating win over Clarion, Cal is one step closer to clinching top seed in the West. (Side note: Who, at Clarion, thought it was a good idea to switch to Stretch for live stats? It's 100 percent garbage.)

Meanwhile, it looks as though Mercyhurst may have boosted their NCAA playoff chances with a 56-54 win over Edinboro (though, if I'm not mistaken, Boro holds the tiebreaker thanks to their win over Cal earlier this season).
          The PSAC is all switching to Stretch. Not something they wanted to do after talking with the SID. He doesn't like it either. Something we all will have to get used to.

Comment

I would not say WJU's loss at Co-MEC leader Glenville State, which is undefeated at home and #8 in the region only due to a very weak non-MEC schedule, is playing themselves out of the regional rankings, especially with a 21-5 record and one of the strongest non-MEC schedules, including an opening weekend win over Edinboro. Not sure where VU's loss means for it other than its 2nd of the season.

Comment

WJU probably goes to four and Glenville to 6. Without an upset tournament winner, all originally ranked top eight teams will likely make the NCAA.

Comment

Originally posted by Mjtheman View Post
                WJU probably goes to four and Glenville to 6. Without an upset tournament winner, all originally ranked top eight teams will likely make the NCAA.
                The difference is who they face. Generally a 2-7 or 3-6 game is an easier step to the next round than 4-5. It would be unfortunate for MEC WBB for WJU and GSU to end up in the 4-5 but it's still possible.

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post
                  The difference is who they face. Generally a 2-7 or 3-6 game is an easier step to the next round than 4-5. It would be unfortunate for MEC WBB for WJU and GSU to end up in the 4-5 but it's still possible.
                  The committee is trying to do away with that happening whenever possible. Which means it's possible that, if the "true rankings" show Wheeling at 4 and Glenville at 5, then either Wheeling moves up to 3 or Glenville drops to 6, depending on how close the respective teams are to those seeds. If a particular conference gets four or five teams into the NCAA playoffs, then it's unavoidable.
                  Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

The committee is trying to do away with that happening whenever possible. Which means it's possible that, if the "true rankings" show Wheeling at 4 and Glenville at 5, then either Wheeling moves up to 3 or Glenville drops to 6, depending on how close the respective teams are to those seeds. If a particular conference gets four or five teams into the NCAA playoffs, then it's unavoidable.
                    Is this different from past years? Conference rematches seem to prevalent in the first round of the D-2 tournament.

Comment

• Re: Psac women's standings - 12/27/2016

I'd love to see it avoided when at all possible. As a fan I hated playing Slippery Rock in the Regional ... would just rather see the rare times when the elites of the conferences play each other on the floor and not on message boards.

But, no doubt, it's going to happen and is unavoidable at times.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                        I'd love to see it avoided when at all possible. As a fan I hated playing Slippery Rock in the Regional ... would just rather see the rare times when the elites of the conferences play each other on the floor and not on message boards.

But, no doubt, it's going to happen and is unavoidable at times.
                        And I hated the fact that Gannon had to play SRU in the 2015 regional after going 3-0 against them in the regular season. Of course, I hated the result even more. I highly prefer the inter-conference matchups.

Comment

PSAC Women's Standings - (MORNING OF) 2/22/2017

EAST
                          PSAC OVERALL STREAK
                          Shippensburg* 17-4 22-5 W17
                          EAST STROUDSBURG* 13-7 17-7 W8
                          WEST CHESTER* 9-11 9-15 L5
                          KUTZTOWN 8-12 11-17 W1
                          BLOOMSBURG 8-12 9-15 L1
                          MILLERSVILLE 7-13 9-16 L4
                          LOCK HAVEN 6-14 9-15 W1
                          CHEYNEY 5-16 5-17 L1
                          MANSFIELD 3-17 5-19 L3

WEST
                          PSAC OVERALL STREAK
                          CALIFORNIA* 19-1 25-1 W14
                          IUP* 17-3 19-5 W7
                          MERCYHURST* 15-5 20-6 W1
                          EDINBORO* 15-5 19-7 L1
                          CLARION* 11-9 14-12 L1
                          SETON HILL* 11-10 15-12 L1
                          GANNON 9-12 9-18 W1
                          SLIPPERY ROCK 6-14 9-17 L7
                          UPJ 3-17 7-19 L8

The West tournament field is set minus the seeding. IUP can clinch a bye with a win tonight over Clarion (the Golden Eagles won the first match-up this season).

Comment

Side note: The PSAC has just one ranked team (Cal at No. 3) in the NABC poll -- and none even listed in the 'receiving votes' portion.

Comment

That's is amazing considering cal is 25-1 and hasn't even clinched the division with only two games to go. A lot of drama on the women's side. Cal probably gets a one seed in the Atlantic region with a win. A loss sets up a potential psac title game against iup. Mercyhurst and edinboro can't afford another lose. Especially if VU loses giving the CIAA two teams in the NCAA. ESU has won eight straight after getting their best player back from injury. The shippensburg game will tell if they are a legitimate contender to win the psac. A lot easier road coming out of the east.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                                Side note: The PSAC has just one ranked team (Cal at No. 3) in the NABC poll -- and none even listed in the 'receiving votes' portion.
                                Rankings are nice school pride wise but mean nothing once the NCAA tournament begins. In '15 CALU was ranked 14th going into the ATLANTIC REGIONAL, but were second in the RR behind a CIAA school, I think VSU. But that school got caught using an ineligible player and the AR was moved to HAMER and the VULCANS were able to eke out an OT win over BLOOM on their way to the NC. I think they have the team to win the PSAC and host the AR, but it will certainly NOT BE EASY.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X