Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scrub View Post

Those are both great examples of guys who stayed in the system, trusted the process, put in the work, and watched it pay off big time by the time they were seniors. But I also fear the era of guys doing that--i.e. biding time in the system to work their way up--may be a bygone era in this current transfer-portal-age. I guess we'll see.
    The attitude is prevalent in professional world. Recent graduates expect promotions that exceed their results and level of demonstrated skill and judgment.

i am all for freedom and personal responsibility. No problem with transfers.

Comment

Those are both great examples of guys who stayed in the system, trusted the process, put in the work, and watched it pay off big time by the time they were seniors. But I also fear the era of guys doing that--i.e. biding time in the system to work their way up--may be a bygone era in this current transfer-portal-age. I guess we'll see.
      See that a lot in football. A high school star doesn't want to be pine sandpaper for a yr or two before he gets a start.

Comment

Read a good article over the weekend discussing the current state of transfer-happy D1 basketball ... and the trickle-down effect it is having on high school recruits.

Long story short the theory being the current craze will help the D2 game initially get better high school players. D1 programs are jumping on the transfer bandwagon -- with some teams signing a huge percentage of its class out of the portal. This is resulting in far less D1 opportunities for high school players.

The double-edge sword of this equation, however, stated they feel many will use D2 as an audition and try and transfer 'up' as soon as possible.

Comment

To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised to see a name like Owen Hazelbaker pop onto the portal. He lost his spot in the rotation to Sarson down the stretch. And despite reports of his working his butt off to improve his shooting all season long, he just didn't log the kind of minutes he likely hoped for. I wouldn't be surprised if one or two players like that find their way into the portal.
          Called it. Hazelbaker hit the portal this afternoon.

Comment

Wow u surely did. I thought that all he had to work on was lateral movement and running technique, which are easily improved by a track coach. Incredibly dedicated and intelligent, he will be a success wherever he lands, both athletically and academically. Very nice young man. Wish him the best, but sorry to see him go. All MEC academic team
            Last edited by Columbuseer; 03-29-2021, 12:55 PM.

Comment

Big but not huge loss. More what we think he was poised to become as opposed to what he did at WLU. Also hurts to lose the one WLU player who could be classified as a "big" even though WLU didn't have him play in that role. Effectively this transfer leaves us with rail thin Elijah Watson as our only big.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

Big but not huge loss. More what we think he was poised to become as opposed to what he did at WLU. Also hurts to lose the one WLU player who could be classified as a "big" even though WLU didn't have him play in that role. Effectively this transfer leaves us with rail thin Elijah Watson as our only big.
                Marlon could always choose to come back as well. But, yes, this means a guy like Lamont McManus (if he chooses to come back) is licking his chops!

Comment

Marlon could always choose to come back as well. But, yes, this means a guy like Lamont McManus (if he chooses to come back) is licking his chops!
                  Marlon can certainly be effective playing an opponents big but do we really want to have our only answer to an active skilled big be a 6'5" guy who gives up 20 to 30 pounds? You may get away with it during the regular season when you're playing teams with MAYBE one big who is decent, but what happens come tourney time when you are facing teams with a couple of skilled bigs and even several guards that are as big as the guy you have guarding their "center?"

Guess the answer is to hope that they have a bad night and/or hope you shoot 50%+ from 3. As we used to say, hope is not a strategy!

Comment

I think the sky is the limit for Sarson and Watson. As freshmen, both had strong bodies that were able to play high level D2.
                    Elijah just needs to slow down a little, as I thought he was playing too fast, which is common for a freshman. But I saw glimpses that indicated he could be a matchup nightmare in a couple of years both inside and out.

Ben progressed very rapidly in getting comfortable with the speed of the game and is demonstrating a beautiful three point stroke.

If they work hard this summer and get stronger physically and in their basketball skills, they could be our answer to competing with teams with two bigs while also playing the wlu style. They both move very well, so they could play in front of bigs successfully. They will also be able to draw bigs away from the basket to defend their outside shot.

Comment

• Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
                      I think the sky is the limit for Sarson and Watson. As freshmen, both had strong bodies that were able to play high level D2.
                      Elijah just needs to slow down a little, as I thought he was playing too fast, which is common for a freshman. But I saw glimpses that indicated he could be a matchup nightmare in a couple of years both inside and out.

Ben progressed very rapidly in getting comfortable with the speed of the game and is demonstrating a beautiful three point stroke.

If they work hard this summer and get stronger physically and in their basketball skills, they could be our answer to competing with teams with two bigs while also playing the wlu style. They both move very well, so they could play in front of bigs successfully. They will also be able to draw bigs away from the basket to defend their outside shot.
                      I'll give you Sarson...GREAT progress from early in the season to the end. Very, very smooth and could be the next "star" for the Toppers. Watson is a different story. Not that I think he doesn't have the tools to be good, but as you point out, he just seems to want to play at 200 miles per hour. He needs to learn when to go fast and when to slow down. I saw a number of times were he got the ball, mad a quick jump and actually shot the ball before getting to the top of his jump...funny part was that he got the ball and jumped so fast that his defender was left flat footed so he didn't need to rush the actual shot. If he can figure out when to go fast and when to slow down, he could be good...but that's not a sure thing. He does need to pack on some weight though!!

Comment

• Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

Marlon can certainly be effective playing an opponents big but do we really want to have our only answer to an active skilled big be a 6'5" guy who gives up 20 to 30 pounds? You may get away with it during the regular season when you're playing teams with MAYBE one big who is decent, but what happens come tourney time when you are facing teams with a couple of skilled bigs and even several guards that are as big as the guy you have guarding their "center?"

Guess the answer is to hope that they have a bad night and/or hope you shoot 50%+ from 3. As we used to say, hope is not a strategy!
                        What happens is you go home.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

What happens is you go home.
                          That's what happens when you put all your eggs in one basket and your opponent figures out how to steal your basket!

Comment

• Defeats are also what happens when:
                            • Opponent shoots incredibly high %
                            • Wlu shoots abnormally low %
                            • Wlu departs from wlu brand of basketball
                            • Opponent has better players
                            • Etc.
                            I will take > 85% wins over a large sample Size (decade) over anecdotal counter-examples any day.
                            Without the wlu style, do you u really think great players would still be reaching out to wlu to recruit them and spurning offers from d1?
                            it is not like west liberty is the Lexington of D2. Before this style, how many times did wlu even make the tourney in D2?

Besides defeating a top 10 and top 20 team in the regional, imho I think Wlu could have beaten 6 teams in the elite 8 with their style.

Each year we are getting increasingly skilled and athletic players who want to play with freedom and Joy that is the wlu style

Comment

• The Powell kid from D&E has already found a home at a low-major D1 (signed with Jacksonville). So much for guards not being in demand. Good for him to fulfill a dream . . . and in his hometown no less. Similar story to Yahel Hill in that way.

Comment

• And if Powell was getting D1 looks, you have to figure there are mid-major programs throwing themselves at Bonner. Interested to see where he ends up.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X