Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Turned into a blowout. I can't figure out this team at all, and I'm not sure Coach Fite has them figured out, either. I thought they were on an upward trend after the Slippery Rock and Fairmont games, but certainly not tonight. They've been a good road team the past few years, but have been terrible away so far this year. Perhaps will get into the PSAC playoffs, but I think we can kiss the NCAAs an early good-bye this season.
    Gannon should cure Ship's road woes tonight. The Knights are now 0-7, and, to make matters worse, are down (4) players due to a variety of injuries.

Shepherd was really hammering them yesterday (23 points) prior to a late GU run making it appear more respectable.

One Gannon fan replied to the GU final score tweet asking Santa for a new coach. Ouch.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Gannon should cure Ship's road woes tonight. The Knights are now 0-7, and, to make matters worse, are down (4) players due to a variety of injuries.

Shepherd was really hammering them yesterday (23 points) prior to a late GU run making it appear more respectable.

One Gannon fan replied to the GU final score tweet asking Santa for a new coach. Ouch.
      So that tweet has since been deleted. Not sure if the fan did it or the person in charge of the Twitter page. Either way, I said firing Reilly would come back to haunt them and now look at this mess! That AD should be ashamed of herself for destroying what had been the prime sport in Gannon history!

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

So that tweet has since been deleted. Not sure if the fan did it or the person in charge of the Twitter page. Either way, I said firing Reilly would come back to haunt them and now look at this mess! That AD should be ashamed of herself for destroying what had been the prime sport in Gannon history!
        Too bad that Gannon Hoops web site isn't still functional. That would be highly entertaining this year.

Comment

Too bad that Gannon Hoops web site isn't still functional. That would be highly entertaining this year.
          Yeah, Jim Roddy, the guy that ran it moved out of town for work. He’s a CEO somewhere now and wasn’t attending games anymore to write his blog. It would be serious entertainment now. The fans are irate!

Comment

Yeah, Jim Roddy, the guy that ran it moved out of town for work. He’s a CEO somewhere now and wasn’t attending games anymore to write his blog. It would be serious entertainment now. The fans are irate!
            Years ago they used to have several participate on this board. I don't think there are any left.

Comment

Years ago they used to have several participate on this board. I don't think there are any left.
              I haven’t seen any of them since I went to war with them about Reilly!

Comment

I haven’t seen any of them since I went to war with them about Reilly!
                You know, I think a couple showed up this year when Gannon beat IUP in football then disappeared after their elimination. Fair weather fans! Only want to talk when they are winning!

Comment

That dump of a gym isn't easy to play in.
                  ESU shot a season-low 66.7% from the FT Line against the Griffins. In a one-point game, every miss costs you dearly.

Comment

• Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post

ESU shot a season-low 66.7% against the Griffins. In a one-point game every miss from the foul line costs you dearly.
                    What did you think of SH in person? They've had some games they've looked really good and some others they didn't. I've heard from some people who have watched them their zone defense is pretty good. They come here in about two weeks.

Comment

Turned into a blowout. I can't figure out this team at all, and I'm not sure Coach Fite has them figured out, either. I thought they were on an upward trend after the Slippery Rock and Fairmont games, but certainly not tonight. They've been a good road team the past few years, but have been terrible away so far this year. Perhaps will get into the PSAC playoffs, but I think we can kiss the NCAAs an early good-bye this season.
                      Ship is scoring about 13 ppg less on the road compared to at home. That's a stat I've never really compared much but it is interesting.

It's not like Ship played easy home games, either. I'd guess if we really crunched numbers it's probably fairly common teams score more at home, shoot higher percentages, etc. But, 13 is a big differential.

It's a lot of match-ups, too. The Raiders' two lowest outputs came against Virginia Union (56) and Mercyhurst (55) -- two very tough defensive teams. Conversely, they played Fairmont State and Cal at home -- two teams that prefer shootouts with run-n-gun.

Comment

Ship is scoring about 13 ppg less on the road compared to at home. That's a stat I've never really compared much but it is interesting.

It's not like Ship played easy home games, either. I'd guess if we really crunched numbers it's probably fairly common teams score more at home, shoot higher percentages, etc. But, 13 is a big differential.

It's a lot of match-ups, too. The Raiders' two lowest outputs came against Virginia Union (56) and Mercyhurst (55) -- two very tough defensive teams. Conversely, they played Fairmont State and Cal at home -- two teams that prefer shootouts with run-n-gun.
                        It's just an oddly constructed team this year, and a lot of that was beyond Fite's control. They started the year with four highly experienced players and not much experience anywhere else. If they get good all-around games from the top four they can hoop with most good teams as they did with Slippery Rock and Fairmont. But if they get an off game out of one or two of the four, especially Carter or Johnson, there isn't much to pick up the slack. That's what happened Sunday might when Carter was the only one who had a big game, and their bench was massively outscored. That's going to hurt them against deep teams such as East Stroud. If they don't pick it up soon, I think Fite is going to have to find a way to rotate the younger players in for longer periods, even though that probably isn't their best strategy to win this year. He's in danger of having a team next year with no returnees even sniffing double-digit scoring averages. He has never hit the portal especially hard, but he'll almost have to bring in a couple of experienced guys next season to field an experienced team. I also would not be surprised if they had a couple of players enter the portal after the season as I just don't think there are enough minutes to go around for all the young guards they're carrying at the moment.

For next season Fite will face his biggest rebuilding job since he had to recover from his 3-23 first season after the previous coach left him with a bare cupboard. He's had an unprecedented good run at Ship, but bumps in the road amost always appear sooner or later.

Comment

• Kutztown just beat Seton Hill by 14 in Greensburg.

Don't sleep on the Golden Bears. That was a feisty bunch in Indiana last night. Their record (3-6) is very deceiving.

I'd assume today you had one team feeling pretty good about itself with some new confidence, and the other probably had over-confidence (and some rubber legs).

Comment

What did you think of SH in person? They've had some games they've looked really good and some others they didn't. I've heard from some people who have watched them their zone defense is pretty good. They come here in about two weeks.
                            They were very quick and that gave the Warrior D trouble all night. ESU clawed their way back from a double digit deficit and had the lead at the end. The fact that Kutztown had their way with SH tells me they had nothing left in the tank after playing ESU yesterday.

Comment

It's just an oddly constructed team this year, and a lot of that was beyond Fite's control. They started the year with four highly experienced players and not much experience anywhere else. If they get good all-around games from the top four they can hoop with most good teams as they did with Slippery Rock and Fairmont. But if they get an off game out of one or two of the four, especially Carter or Johnson, there isn't much to pick up the slack. That's what happened Sunday might when Carter was the only one who had a big game, and their bench was massively outscored. That's going to hurt them against deep teams such as East Stroud. If they don't pick it up soon, I think Fite is going to have to find a way to rotate the younger players in for longer periods, even though that probably isn't their best strategy to win this year. He's in danger of having a team next year with no returnees even sniffing double-digit scoring averages. He has never hit the portal especially hard, but he'll almost have to bring in a couple of experienced guys next season to field an experienced team. I also would not be surprised if they had a couple of players enter the portal after the season as I just don't think there are enough minutes to go around for all the young guards they're carrying at the moment.

For next season Fite will face his biggest rebuilding job since he had to recover from his 3-23 first season after the previous coach left him with a bare cupboard. He's had an unprecedented good run at Ship, but bumps in the road amost always appear sooner or later.
                              To illustrate Ship69's point that they can't afford one of the key guys not to show up -- Carter has 2 points at the half and the Raiders are down 34-28 at Gannon.

Comment

• Gannon kid lands front foot in frontcourt, then back foot in backcourt on an inbounds play, down two with 10 seconds left. Ship holds on for a 60-56 victory.

Rashon Johnson and Dom Sleva lead four double-figure scorers with 18 apiece.

In other news, Geoffrey Helm announces on Twitter that he's taken the 3:18 flight to Chatham.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X