Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ship 70-62 over Bloomsburg despite 33-percent shooting. Don't know much else: I made the trip to Emmitsburg for Mt. St. Mary's-LIU.

Comment

• Originally posted by jrshooter View Post

Hey, they could be the (0-8) baseball team.
      Well, in fairness the baseball team was picked sixth in its division and has been playing nothing but southern teams so far. It sure is a long way from the Art Fairchild days, though.

Basketball team did manage that win, but with lousy shooting again. I don't know what the deal is, but they'd better snap out of it, or it'll be a quick exit from the playoffs this season. Lock Haven and West Chester have already beaten them once, and I'm not overly optimistic about the Shepherd game at their place next week. Hardy seems to be off his game the last couple of weeks, and Sleva was in single digits (although he did have 15 boards). Fortunately, Biss, Johnson and Carter had decent games. They're basically a 5 1/2 player team now (Dunn and Diabate gave themn some minutes today), so even one or two of the front five slumping is a problem. And they still shot only about 65 percent from the FT line today, 53 percent in the first half. It's a formula for losing the close games and making what should be easy wins a lot harder. Maybe I should introduce them to "21," the old free-throw shooting game us 'burb kids used to play with our garage-mounted hoops.

Shepherd continues to be the ultimate homebodies, routing Millersville at home Wednesday and getting pounded up at East Stroud today.

Comment

Ship 70-62 over Bloomsburg despite 33-percent shooting. Don't know much else: I made the trip to Emmitsburg for Mt. St. Mary's-LIU.
        How does the Mount look?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

How does the Mount look?
          Solid defensive team with no go-to guy on offense. They're not going anywhere this time.

Comment

Solid defensive team with no go-to guy on offense. They're not going anywhere this time.
            I remember when they used to play Ship on a fairly regular basis. They had Fred Carter (played several years in the NBA) when I was at Ship and beat up our team badly that year. Ship point guard could barely get it over halfcourt much of the time. I had an opportunity to interview Jim Phelan a time or two and enjoyed him. I don't think transitioning to lower-echelon Division ! from high-echelon small-school team has been particularly kind to them, but it was probably a move they had to make at the time.

Comment

Ship 70-62 over Bloomsburg despite 33-percent shooting. Don't know much else: I made the trip to Emmitsburg for Mt. St. Mary's-LIU.
              Bloom FT 3-6. Ship FT 17-26. Ship for the win.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bart View Post

Bloom FT 3-6. Ship FT 17-26. Ship for the win.
                Yep, Bart, that'll leave a mark.

Comment

Yep, Bart, that'll leave a mark.
                  Officiating has been bizarre this season. I think Ship almost gets more calls at away games than home games. Also, if you give a team 20 offensive rebounds they're gonna draw fouls and make it hard for you to win.

Meanwhile, the Ship women continue their strange that has included a 19-point loss to last-place East Stroudsburg by handing Bloomsburg its first home loss Saturday and complete a season sweep of Bloom.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Well, in fairness the baseball team was picked sixth in its division and has been playing nothing but southern teams so far. It sure is a long way from the Art Fairchild days, though.

Basketball team did manage that win, but with lousy shooting again. I don't know what the deal is, but they'd better snap out of it, or it'll be a quick exit from the playoffs this season. Lock Haven and West Chester have already beaten them once, and I'm not overly optimistic about the Shepherd game at their place next week. Hardy seems to be off his game the last couple of weeks, and Sleva was in single digits (although he did have 15 boards). Fortunately, Biss, Johnson and Carter had decent games. They're basically a 5 1/2 player team now (Dunn and Diabate gave themn some minutes today), so even one or two of the front five slumping is a problem. And they still shot only about 65 percent from the FT line today, 53 percent in the first half. It's a formula for losing the close games and making what should be easy wins a lot harder. Maybe I should introduce them to "21," the old free-throw shooting game us 'burb kids used to play with our garage-mounted hoops.

Shepherd continues to be the ultimate homebodies, routing Millersville at home Wednesday and getting pounded up at East Stroud today.
                    Shepherd has the personality of their coach. Cocky without any reason to be. Kyle Daggett tried to get physical in the first half. He made a couple of 3s and flashed to the vocal crowd behind him. Then he committed 2 early fouls and had to sit out a large part of the first half.

Meanwhile Shepherd Coach Nomilik peacocked along the sidelines, flabbergasted by every call against his team. When the deficit got to 20, it all magically disappeared, much like his team.

Comment

• Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post

Shepherd has the personality of their coach. Cocky without any reason to be. Kyle Daggett tried to get physical in the first half. He made a couple of 3s and flashed to the vocal crowd behind him. Then he committed 2 early fouls and had to sit out a large part of the first half.

Meanwhile Shepherd Coach Nomilik peacocked along the sidelines, flabbergasted by every call against his team. When the deficit got to 20, it all magically disappeared, much like his team.
                      We do have a few coaches who like to perform in the PSAC. You're not going to beat them every time, but it's fun when you do.

Comment

• It might have been the second-biggest crowd in Shippensburg tonight -- the high school Greyhounds were opening the District 3 tournament -- but Jake Biss and Dom Sleva didn't seem to notice. Biss has a career-high 36, Sleva a career-high 28 and 17 boards as the Raiders get past Mansfield 94-82. Justice Smith 25 in defeat.

Comment

It might have been the second-biggest crowd in Shippensburg tonight -- the high school Greyhounds were opening the District 3 tournament -- but Jake Biss and Dom Sleva didn't seem to notice. Biss has a career-high 36, Sleva a career-high 28 and 17 boards as the Raiders get past Mansfield 94-82. Justice Smith 25 in defeat.

Comment

• Another big night for ESU shooters as the Warriors hit 15 3-pointers at Lock Haven. For the second straight game, G Justin Paz dished out double-digit dimes. He also went 6-8 from behind the arc, and led the Warriors with 20 points. He's become a solid scorer in the backcourt, something the Warriors needed when Shamir Johnson couldn't go this season. ESU has 5 double digit scorers and the biggest margin of victory in the East. 2 games left, tied for 1st in the East. I feel ESU has the easier schedule compared to Millersville. They BOTH play West Chester, but Ville has Lock Haven while ESU has Mansfield.

Comment

• Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post
                              Another big night for ESU shooters as the Warriors hit 15 3-pointers at Lock Haven. For the second straight game, G Justin Paz dished out double-digit dimes. He also went 6-8 from behind the arc, and led the Warriors with 20 points. He's become a solid scorer in the backcourt, something the Warriors needed when Shamir Johnson couldn't go this season. ESU has 5 double digit scorers and the biggest margin of victory in the East. 2 games left, tied for 1st in the East. I feel ESU has the easier schedule compared to Millersville. They BOTH play West Chester, but Ville has Lock Haven while ESU has Mansfield.

Comment

• If you look at Millersville's season as a whole ... they've been streaky. They started red-hot, then got pounded by IUP and UPJ followed by a loss at California. Then they had another loss to Shippensburg before going on the long winning streak.

To your point about their recent play, consider they barely beat Kutztown, 74-72, prior to the OT win at Mansfield and getting blown out at Shepherd.

Lot of talent there ... but, not sure what to expect out of them moving forward.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X