Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Very good and hard-fought game. I didn't enjoy the loss, but enjoyed the contest. Even Stitzel was relatively under control. Sleva played better than any Ship fan had a right to expect, good defense on Najdawi and did some scoring himself. It was good to see Carter getting back to double figures tonight. Johnson played well, but had some critical turnovers. He can't be superman every game. There wasn't as much good news in the backcourt. Hardy seemed out of sorts most of the game, and Biss didn't do a lot of shooting after his little spurt in the first half.

I thought James Sullivan was the key for Millersville, very solid on defense and much more of a factor on offense than in the first game.

So Ship completes a strange cycle of losing to both East Stroud and Millersville at home and beating them both on the road. The Raiders are a real Jekyll-Hyde team on offense this year, so it's hard to tell what to come. They'll have to take care of business down the stretch. There is a long road stretch in February, but on the other hand this team seems to play as well or better on the road than it does at home. One bit of good news is we know Stroud or M-ville will take a loss Saturday.
    Biss 2-8. Hardy 1-7. Johnson 4-13 and forcing shots all night. The 'Ville played superb D for the most part, but if you can't put the ball in the hole .. in retrospect, it's difficult to look back at last night's game and see how Ship was ever that close..

Regarding Justice Smith, I don't think 56 points in a PSAC game deserves any qualifiers. That was an amazing effort.

Comment

• Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post

Smith is a great young talent, but Bloomsburg isn't exactly the best in the East. ESU laid 113 on the Mounties on their own floor earlier in the year, then beat Bloom by 20 earlier this week.

Mansfield and Bloom are two of the worst defensive teams in the league, that's why both scored over 100. Smith was 19-of-26 from the floor., 15-of-20 from the free throw line and connected on three of four from beyond the arc. At 6'6" he can do it all with the basketball in his hands. WCU's Heath was the last player to score 50 on Bloom, and he didn't stay long with the Rams. If this kid has his academics in order, he may not stay a Mounty,

Comment

Smith is a great young talent, but Bloomsburg isn't exactly the best in the East. ESU laid 113 on the Mounties on their own floor earlier in the year, then beat Bloom by 20 earlier this week.
        The 56 made me more interested where he may play next year.

Comment

• Originally posted by jrshooter View Post

Biss 2-8. Hardy 1-7. Johnson 4-13 and forcing shots all night. The 'Ville played superb D for the most part, but if you can't put the ball in the hole .. in retrospect, it's difficult to look back at last night's game and see how Ship was ever that close..

Regarding Justice Smith, I don't think 56 points in a PSAC game deserves any qualifiers. That was an amazing effort.

Comment

• Well, 56 points in a PSAC game gets you on the radar quickly.

That was obviously a video game performance, but he's had several other big ones this year:

37 - Edinboro
            27 - Clarion
            29 - Lock Haven
            28 - Shippensburg
            27 - West Chester
            25 - Kutztown
            27 - West Chester
            56 - Bloomsburg

He hasn't been nearly as productive in some other games against some strong defensive teams:

12 - UPJ
            10 - Millersville
            7 - Mercyhurst
            4 - Gannon
            9 - Shepherd

But, he's not exactly surrounded by a ton of talent, either.

Is he another Amir Hutton?

Shall he want to leave ... at 6'6" with that scoring touch ... his phone will be ringing off the hook. If he stays and they can upgrade the talent around him ... Mansfield could be a serious player in the coming years.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
              Well, 56 points in a PSAC game gets you on the radar quickly.

That was obviously a video game performance, but he's had several other big ones this year:

37 - Edinboro
              27 - Clarion
              29 - Lock Haven
              28 - Shippensburg
              27 - West Chester
              25 - Kutztown
              27 - West Chester
              56 - Bloomsburg

He hasn't been nearly as productive in some other games against some strong defensive teams:

12 - UPJ
              10 - Millersville
              7 - Mercyhurst
              4 - Gannon
              9 - Shepherd

Shall he want to leave ... at 6'6" with that scoring touch ... his phone will be ringing off the hook. If he stays and they can upgrade the talent around him ... Mansfield could be a serious player in the coming years.
              Like I've said, Ali is legit too. Two good building blocks.

Comment

Like I've said, Ali is legit too. Two good building blocks.
                I hope they can hang on to their kids. I don't think it's good for the league when the bottom-dwellers become farm teams for the big boys. Hard to blame a kid for wanting success, though.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

I hope they can hang on to their kids. I don't think it's good for the league when the bottom-dwellers become farm teams for the big boys. Hard to blame a kid for wanting success, though.
                  That luckily hasn't happened much in basketball. Football is a different story.

Comment

That luckily hasn't happened much in basketball. Football is a different story.
                    True. And I think that's one reason the conference seems to be quite a bit better balanced in BB than football (of course it helps that you need fewer good players to field a respectable basketball team). I think Ship picked up a transfer or two from Lock Haven this year. What was unusual was we lost two decent FB players to Shepherd last season. That hasn't happened to us much.

Comment

Well, 56 points in a PSAC game gets you on the radar quickly.

37 - Edinboro
                      27 - Clarion
                      29 - Lock Haven
                      28 - Shippensburg
                      27 - West Chester
                      25 - Kutztown
                      27 - West Chester
                      56 - Bloomsburg

12 - UPJ
                      10 - Millersville
                      7 - Mercyhurst
                      4 - Gannon
                      9 - Shepherd

Did you mean Amir Hinton? Robbie Heath comes to mind as a player who was a one-and-done in the PSAC. Even ESU had a player transfer out after they went to the D II Elite Eight back in 2018. Look at PSAC rosters this year and see how many players moved within the conference itself. Kiyon Hardy comes to mind.
                      Last edited by WarriorVoice; 02-04-2022, 06:33 AM.

Comment

Did you mean Amir Hinton? Robbie Heath comes to mind as a player who was a one-and-done in the PSAC. Even ESU had a player transfer out after they went to the D II Elite Eight back in 2018. Look at PSAC rosters this year and see how many players moved within the conference itself. Kiyon Hardy comes to mind.
                        Seems much more common in the East for whatever reason. That very rarely happens in the West. Players leave but don't tend to relocate with the division. Who knows. Maybe the West coaches use the block list.

Comment

Seems much more common in the East for whatever reason. That very rarely happens in the West. Players leave but don't tend to relocate with the division. Who knows. Maybe the West coaches use the block list.
                          Look at the rosters in the West too. Gannon has 2 or 3 and Mercyhurst has 5 transfers. IUP has 4...I'll keep looking for you...

Comment

Look at the rosters in the West too. Gannon has 2 or 3 and Mercyhurst has 5 transfers. IUP has 4...I'll keep looking for you...
                            Not transfers at large. I was referring specifically to transfers from, say, one West school to another West school. We don't see many inter-division transfers over here. There are several in the East.

Comment

• Ship-Mansfield tomorrow postponed. No makeup date set. Women still playing in Shippensburg at 2 p.m.

Comment

Ship-Mansfield tomorrow postponed. No makeup date set. Women still playing in Shippensburg at 2 p.m.
                                No mention I guess if it's problems with the Mansfield team or ours. This is not good. Schedule the rest of the way was already hectic as hell with the West Chester postponement coming up, and with Ship's lack of depth it's really going to be a grind. Hope next Wednesday's West Chester game goes ahead.

Mansfield rescheduled for Feb. 21, so I assume it will be a night game.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X