• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
      Ship Men's schedule is posted.

Non-Conf:

@ Virginia State
      @ Virginia State (opponent TBA)

@ Wilmington

Bowie State
      Fairmont State
      Pretty typical of the last few years. The opening CIAA doubleheader is always a good test of where the team stands to begin the year. They generally beat Wilmington, but Bowie and Fairmont can be rough in any given year.

Comment

• Going further into that schedule, the pre-Christmas run will likely be a stiff test as usual for the Raiders, especially since Ship has lost two of the better guards in the Eastern Division and will be relatively inexperienced at the position this year.

There's a Nov. 28-Dec. 13 home stretch of Bowie, Cal, Slippery Rock and Fairmont State, followed by the always treacherous Erie trip to face Mercyhurst and Gannon. Ship is 1-4 lifetime against Fairmont, but three of the four losses have been at Fairmont, and they've only played once since 2003. Although Mercyhurst generally has the bigger rep of the two Erie teams, Ship has done considerably better against them than Gannon over the years.

The good news for Ship is that they lost nothing to the portal and return Rashon Johnson, Carlos Carter, Dom Sleva, and Luke Nedrow to a front line that should be the strength of the team. They likely will be less guard-oriented than they have been the last couple of years with Jake Biss at the helm. The recruiting class is also good with Pa. Class 4A all-staters Trey Martin and Markus Frank coming in along with Tim Conner, younger brother of former Ship point guard Clay Conner. But as always how much even talented freshmen will help in their first year remains to be seen. Martin is a lights-out shooter with good size, and Frank, from what I've seen of his videos, seems to be most comfortable around the basjet.

Comment

• The tour continues.

It appears the Whippen Boys have signed with Kutztown.

Moe Williams also decided to stay. Add Samec from West Chester and the Bears appear ready for a bounce back.

Comment

• Millersville's roster is up.

Looks like it won't be the rebuild we thought at the end of last season.

Jaden Faulkner and Justin Nwosu are both returning. They are both listed as Redshirt Seniors.

Also, the 'Ville got a big transfer from West Chester (Matt Dade). Dade was a Second Team PSAC East selection a year ago after starting 27 games for the Rams.

The Marauders open the season at the Virginia State tournament and will play both VSU and Virginia Union.

Comment

Millersville's roster is up.

Looks like it won't be the rebuild we thought at the end of last season.

Jaden Faulkner and Justin Nwosu are both returning. They are both listed as Redshirt Seniors.

Also, the 'Ville got a big transfer from West Chester (Matt Dade). Dade was a Second Team PSAC East selection a year ago after starting 27 games for the Rams.

The Marauders open the season at the Virginia State tournament and will play both VSU and Virginia Union.
              Guess they'll be joining Ship down at VSU. I imagine Fite and Stitzel will be engaging in a little early-season scouting.

Comment

• Final 2022 recruiting class announced by Ship today. Includes Pa. Class 4A first team all-staters Trey Martin (Boiling Springs) and Markus Frank (Quaker Valley) plus incoming transfer guard Mike Smith, who started 20 games as a sophomore for Kutztown last season and averaged 9.7 ppg. Others include Timmy Conner from Frederick, Md., Linganore and Denzel Figueroa from Carver Science and Engineering School, Philadelphia. Conner's brother, Clay, played for Ship from 2014-2018 and scored 611 points for the Raiders at guard.

Comment

• Dustin Sleva played for Golden State this summer in the NBA Summer League (or, whatever they call it these days). He's getting some looks.

Comment

Dustin Sleva played for Golden State this summer in the NBA Summer League (or, whatever they call it these days). He's getting some looks.
                    Yup, heard from the coach yesterday he is back in Paris for now. Jake Biss has departed for the Netherlands.

Comment

• Men's EAST Preseason Poll:

1. ESU (7)
                      2. Shippensburg (1)
                      3. West Chester
                      4. Millersville (1)
                      5. Shepherd
                      6. Kutztown
                      7. Lock Haven
                      8. Bloomsburg
                      9. Mansfield

Comment

• Ship playing at VCU tonight. Former SU guard Clay Conner is a VCU assistant; his little brother Timmy is a Shippensburg freshman guard.

EDIT: VCU 88-53. Box score here.
                        Last edited by jrshooter; 10-30-2022, 07:29 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by jrshooter View Post
                          Ship playing at VCU tonight. Former SU guard Clay Conner is a VCU assistant; his little brother Timmy is a Shippensburg freshman guard.

EDIT: VCU 88-53. Box score here.
                          Looks like Coach Fite spread the minutes around. Encouraging to see freshman Trey Martin put in 10 points in 12 minutes of play. I'm a little concerned to not see transfer guard Mike Smith in the box score. Hope that isn't an injury or some other problem. I wonder if they're going to RS Frank with all the senior forwards we have this year. Our young guards might have gotten a workout if VCU still runs their press defense.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Looks like Coach Fite spread the minutes around. Encouraging to see freshman Trey Martin put in 10 points in 12 minutes of play. I'm a little concerned to not see transfer guard Mike Smith in the box score. Hope that isn't an injury or some other problem. I wonder if they're going to RS Frank with all the senior forwards we have this year. Our young guards might have gotten a workout if VCU still runs their press defense.
                            A little disappointing that Rashon Johnson didn't come up bigger last night.

Trey Martin, I liked last year when I saw him. He's not afraid to go right at people and doesn't need 10 feet of space to get his shot..

Comment

• Originally posted by jrshooter View Post

A little disappointing that Rashon Johnson didn't come up bigger last night.

Trey Martin, I liked last year when I saw him. He's not afraid to go right at people and doesn't need 10 feet of space to get his shot..
                              I think Johnson should be fine. Coaches have been favorably impressed by Martin, and I expect he'll be seeing more playing time than the average freshman.

Comment

• Lock Haven with a nice upset of Charleston ... nice win.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X