Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

IUP Women's Basketball | 2019-20

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Sounds like Tom has one in the portal.

    Can you say Mo Part 2 ?

    Comment


    • Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
      Sounds like Tom has one in the portal.

      Can you say Mo Part 2 ?
      Surely you jest. Wasn't that like a LONG time ago that she first came on the scene? IUP, Wheeling Jesuit, Cal----how could she have any possible eligibility left?

      -

      Comment


      • Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post

        Surely you jest. Wasn't that like a LONG time ago that she first came on the scene? IUP, Wheeling Jesuit, Cal----how could she have any possible eligibility left?

        -
        No ... I'm saying Diva Part 2 (aka the current IUP version of Mo Burns) has entered the portal.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

          No ... I'm saying Diva Part 2 (aka the current IUP version of Mo Burns) has entered the portal.
          I see. I don't think I even know who any of their players are to be honest.

          -

          Comment


          • Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post

            I see. I don't think I even know who any of their players are to be honest.

            -
            So you basically come on here to talk about the terrible Pitt program. Got it...

            Comment


            • Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

              So you basically come on here to talk about the terrible Pitt program. Got it...
              Guess I should log on and discuss powerhouse Erie basketball. So, who do you think is really the bomb up that way? Is it McDowell? How about Strong Vincent? Maybe General McLane? How about that Penn State Behrend team?

              What team did you play for?

              -

              Comment


              • Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post

                Guess I should log on and discuss powerhouse Erie basketball. So, who do you think is really the bomb up that way? Is it McDowell? How about Strong Vincent? Maybe General McLane? How about that Penn State Behrend team?

                What team did you play for?

                -
                Strong Vincent is now a middle School. PSB is actually a pretty solid team year in and year out. McDowell is only good bc Jeffress and Jefferson (Gannon’s coach) son is on the team, both are gone after this year.

                So why are you in the D2 board if you don’t follow D2? Asking for a friend.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

                  Strong Vincent is now a middle School. PSB is actually a pretty solid team year in and year out. McDowell is only good bc Jeffress and Jefferson (Gannon’s coach) son is on the team, both are gone after this year.

                  So why are you in the D2 board if you don’t follow D2? Asking for a friend.
                  Hmm, I did not know that about Strong Vincent. Interesting. At least you guys have a lot of college ball that you can follow up that way.

                  Well, to answer the question. I think we need to go back to late 2002-early 2003. I was just fresh out of grad school at IUP and since it was a crappy winter I really got into IUP hoops and went to a ton of games. Actually it was the women who had the more interesting team that year (this was the year after the IUP men advanced to the Final Four and they were in a rebuild year). Anyways, I began posting on the old IUP sports talk board about the games that I would go to. At least at that time----I was just about the only one who actively sought to promote the hoops teams via the web by virtue of doing write ups and leading discussions.

                  This went on for quite a few years actually. Certainly,the old IUP sports board dried up and we all switched to the D2 board here that Brandon has gifted us with. I think that I actually covered IUP and PSAC hoops for something like 14 years IIRC. That's a long time. And I was basically the one who began it all. There was absolutely nothing about IUP basketball to the best of my recall when I first came onto the D2 board here. There was no hoops forum. I would discuss stuff in the winters on the football forum until Brandon gave us hoops forums. For a time I was one of the very few who posted there. I basically carried on conversations with myself more often than not. LOL.

                  But yeah, if you want to know who the guy was who basically started IUP/PSAC basketball talk on message boards------it was me.

                  Do I care about IUP/PSAC hoops today? Probably not at all. The unfair way that the KCAC treated folks was the final straw for me. I was out.

                  But hey, I do drop in here and there to say a thing or two. I post on the D-I hoops thread. I did not start it but I enjoy it as well as bantering with the folks on this forum. I don't feel that I have quelled any D-II hoops talk. If that's what you guys are into---then go for it. That's why these forums are here. And yes, it is gratifying for me to see you all carry on the IUP and PSAC discussion that I more or less got started many years back with a lot of toil. It's great to see!

                  -

                  Comment


                  • As of now, Tom has a relatively small class headed to the KCAC.

                    He has two incoming freshmen signed.

                    Kiera Baughman (Donegal High / Mount Joy, PA) - Very similar in style of play to Carolyn Appleby

                    Gina Adams (Westlake High / Westlake, OH) - Tall guard at 5'11" ... very strong shooter.



                    Lexi Griggs and Natalie Myers will be gone (graduation). But, the rest of the core returns - highlighted by Justina Mascaro, Courtney Alexander, Raja Fink and Maura D'Anna. I suspect we'll hear about a transfer in the coming weeks. My guess is they add 1-2 players via the portal. The PG spot has to get resolved and they could use some depth under the basket.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                      As of now, Tom has a relatively small class headed to the KCAC.

                      He has two incoming freshmen signed.

                      Kiera Baughman (Donegal High / Mount Joy, PA) - Very similar in style of play to Carolyn Appleby

                      Gina Adams (Westlake High / Westlake, OH) - Tall guard at 5'11" ... very strong shooter.



                      Lexi Griggs and Natalie Myers will be gone (graduation). But, the rest of the core returns - highlighted by Justina Mascaro, Courtney Alexander, Raja Fink and Maura D'Anna. I suspect we'll hear about a transfer in the coming weeks. My guess is they add 1-2 players via the portal. The PG spot has to get resolved and they could use some depth under the basket.
                      Hopefully Maria Cerro can take a step forward in PG spot. Although she played big minutes early in the year, she just never looked comfortable when I was in attendance. She seemed to have the fire back after she only got 2-3 minutes in UPJ finale. She played with more confidence in that moment than in the 4-5 women’s game I saw.

                      This year I watched a Pitt women’s game with Laurel Heilman, former SRU WBB HC. She’s also a Bethel Park grad and therefore saw Maria play many games in HS. Laurel felt that Maria would be a very good D2 player. Hopefully she can have a good summer and fall and come into the season with confidence and a chip on her shoulder.

                      Comment


                      • Isn’t Maria Cerro in the transfer portal?

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
                          Isn’t Maria Cerro in the transfer portal?
                          That was the rumor ... although not 100 percent. Women's transfers are more difficult to track.

                          Comment


                          • IUP posted the women's all-decade first and second teams today.


                            They were somewhat interesting. Lauren Wolosik made first team over Leslie Stapleton. That was perhaps the toughest call on the board.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                              IUP posted the women's all-decade first and second teams today.


                              They were somewhat interesting. Lauren Wolosik made first team over Leslie Stapleton. That was perhaps the toughest call on the board.
                              Brittany Robinson should be player 10, not 1st team.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
                                Isn’t Maria Cerro in the transfer portal?
                                That would not surprise me. She only rarely seemed to be enjoying herself. If true, you would think a top PG transfer would recognize the opportunity for big minutes and title contention.

                                Comment

                                Ad3

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X