Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

IUP Women's Basketball | 2019-20

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Golden89 View Post
    Great ... Gannon women get to play IUP coming off a loss. The good news is that the number 1 seed is still barely in play for the Lady Knights. Just barely.

    The biggest ramifications of the loss is that IUPs chances to host the regional took a hit.
    Tom's lost 8 straight down there. He played scared out of his mind tonight.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

      Tom's lost 8 straight down there. He played scared out of his mind tonight.
      What Tom was doing last night made no sense. His line up, to strategy, etc. It all made no sense!

      Comment


      • Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

        What Tom was doing last night made no sense. His line up, to strategy, etc. It all made no sense!
        Please acknowledge that to some degree it has to do with the opponent and specifically the opposing coach. In her career versus IUP under TM, JESS STROM has had the better of it in total games 12-6. If they can't compete straight up, her teams usually have the ability to reduce the game to a grinder and win by making a few less mistakes. Also the Mon Valley has been Death Valley for the C'HAWKS offense. In the last 10 games in HAMER/ A DOME teams that probably average 75-85 PPG have been held to 57.6. These are certainly not good looking basketball games but a W is a W. Be happy that he is 3-1 versus JS in the post season.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

          Please acknowledge that to some degree it has to do with the opponent and specifically the opposing coach. In her career versus IUP under TM, JESS STROM has had the better of it in total games 12-6. If they can't compete straight up, her teams usually have the ability to reduce the game to a grinder and win by making a few less mistakes. Also the Mon Valley has been Death Valley for the C'HAWKS offense. In the last 10 games in HAMER/ A DOME teams that probably average 75-85 PPG have been held to 57.6. These are certainly not good looking basketball games but a W is a W. Be happy that he is 3-1 versus JS in the post season.

          I’d like to agree but NO!!! Cal shot 28%. Tom has D’anna on Hahn the whole game which was a huge mismatch. Lovelace played 16 more minutes than she usually does. Nothing was normal about what Tom’s game plan was. If Tom switches the D’Anna match up and plays Fink her normal minutes, it’s a blow out!!!

          Comment


          • Originally posted by IUPalum View Post


            I’d like to agree but NO!!! Cal shot 28%. Tom has D’anna on Hahn the whole game which was a huge mismatch. Lovelace played 16 more minutes than she usually does. Nothing was normal about what Tom’s game plan was. If Tom switches the D’Anna match up and plays Fink her normal minutes, it’s a blow out!!!

            It's hard to come up with any rationale to what Tom did last night. I mean ... any at all.

            Cal does get credit. Strom does to Tom what Manchel does to Joe. Discombobulates the heck out of them on the offensive end.

            That said ...

            Being frank, both teams played awful.

            IUP shot 39% (poor) to Cal's 28% (awful) and IUP won the glass by a huge margin 45 to 31 -- and lost. There were long stretches that neither team could hit the side of a barn -- air balls galore, etc.

            The Hawks committed a horrendous 21 turnovers -- at least half of which were self-inflicted. The lineup management was the worst I've ever seen by Tom. He was just out of it or something.

            Consider Mikayla Lovelace and Maria Cerro haven't played a meaningful minute in weeks (Lovelace really all season) ... and they are both on the floor together in crunch time with 2 minutes left? Really?

            The point guard situation is still a mess -- and it's Feb. 13. And, if Justina Mascaro comes off the floor ... pure chaos follows. She picked up two quick fouls last night and all hell broke loose.

            IUP shooting 16% from the field in the first quarter didn't help, either.

            Maura D'Anna being assigned to cover D.J. Hahn was a total mismatch for Cal -- and they exploited it all night. D'Anna is a classic low-post bruiser ... she's not geared to cover a sharp-shooter on the perimeter. That was beyond odd.

            Rajah Fink, who has been one of Tom's best players the past month, was literally nowhere to be found. She played just 6 minutes and was scoreless. Lovelace and Cerro played a combined 33 minutes -- and combined for basically no stats.

            Had Cal even shot a modest 43% or so Tom would have been blown out of the building. How they had a chance to win that game with 40 seconds left in itself was a small miracle.

            The good news is they won't have to play down there again this year. If they meet for a Round 3, it will either be in the KCAC or the Hammermill. Also, Tom's last two tough games are both at home.

            The bad news is that 3-game cushion shrunk -- and they still have Gannon and Edinboro.

            Put that film in the trash, regroup and move along.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post


              It's hard to come up with any rationale to what Tom did last night. I mean ... any at all.

              Cal does get credit. Strom does to Tom what Manchel does to Joe. Discombobulates the heck out of them on the offensive end.

              That said ...

              Being frank, both teams played awful.

              IUP shot 39% (poor) to Cal's 28% (awful) and IUP won the glass by a huge margin 45 to 31 -- and lost. There were long stretches that neither team could hit the side of a barn -- air balls galore, etc.

              The Hawks committed a horrendous 21 turnovers -- at least half of which were self-inflicted. The lineup management was the worst I've ever seen by Tom. He was just out of it or something.

              Consider Mikayla Lovelace and Maria Cerro haven't played a meaningful minute in weeks (Lovelace really all season) ... and they are both on the floor together in crunch time with 2 minutes left? Really?

              The point guard situation is still a mess -- and it's Feb. 13. And, if Justina Mascaro comes off the floor ... pure chaos follows. She picked up two quick fouls last night and all hell broke loose.

              IUP shooting 16% from the field in the first quarter didn't help, either.

              Maura D'Anna being assigned to cover D.J. Hahn was a total mismatch for Cal -- and they exploited it all night. D'Anna is a classic low-post bruiser ... she's not geared to cover a sharp-shooter on the perimeter. That was beyond odd.

              Rajah Fink, who has been one of Tom's best players the past month, was literally nowhere to be found. She played just 6 minutes and was scoreless. Lovelace and Cerro played a combined 33 minutes -- and combined for basically no stats.

              Had Cal even shot a modest 43% or so Tom would have been blown out of the building. How they had a chance to win that game with 40 seconds left in itself was a small miracle.

              The good news is they won't have to play down there again this year. If they meet for a Round 3, it will either be in the KCAC or the Hammermill. Also, Tom's last two tough games are both at home.

              The bad news is that 3-game cushion shrunk -- and they still have Gannon and Edinboro.

              Put that film in the trash, regroup and move along.
              The game absolutely was bad/awful for both teams last night. And every team has games like that. But there is a way to coach your team through those nights and come out on top. JS has that ability. Based on stats VULCANS WBB should have something close to a .500 record this year but they don't because in twelve games decided by 10 pts or less they are 10-2. They do not have reliable scorers. DJ is never someone I'd want to depend on to win a game. Based on comments after the game, JS apparently had to almost force her to take those shots. That and her demand that everyone play D all the time seems to be the secret. If in those 12 close games, CAL had a .500 mark, you'd be looking at an 11-12 also-ran not a team with an opportunity for a PSAC home game and a scary opponent in subsequent games.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

                The game absolutely was bad/awful for both teams last night. And every team has games like that. But there is a way to coach your team through those nights and come out on top. JS has that ability. Based on stats VULCANS WBB should have something close to a .500 record this year but they don't because in twelve games decided by 10 pts or less they are 10-2. They do not have reliable scorers. DJ is never someone I'd want to depend on to win a game. Based on comments after the game, JS apparently had to almost force her to take those shots. That and her demand that everyone play D all the time seems to be the secret. If in those 12 close games, CAL had a .500 mark, you'd be looking at an 11-12 also-ran not a team with an opportunity for a PSAC home game and a scary opponent in subsequent games.
                There's also another reality that the PSAC (women's) as a whole isn't real good this year. These Cal and IUP teams would be mopped up by their predecessors. My opinion. After the top 4-5 on the women's side the talent level takes a jump off a cliff.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

                  There's also another reality that the PSAC (women's) as a whole isn't real good this year. These Cal and IUP teams would be mopped up by their predecessors. My opinion. After the top 4-5 on the women's side the talent level takes a jump off a cliff.
                  Agreed. Hopefully CAL U issues have more to do with age/experience (9-16 FR/SO) than raw talent but they certainly would not be playing on the 14/15 to 17/18 teams.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

                    The game absolutely was bad/awful for both teams last night. And every team has games like that. But there is a way to coach your team through those nights and come out on top. JS has that ability. Based on stats VULCANS WBB should have something close to a .500 record this year but they don't because in twelve games decided by 10 pts or less they are 10-2. They do not have reliable scorers. DJ is never someone I'd want to depend on to win a game. Based on comments after the game, JS apparently had to almost force her to take those shots. That and her demand that everyone play D all the time seems to be the secret. If in those 12 close games, CAL had a .500 mark, you'd be looking at an 11-12 also-ran not a team with an opportunity for a PSAC home game and a scary opponent in subsequent games.
                    She seems to enjoy playing the game and generally gives it her all, but now being a senior, I feel she has left a lot on the floor over the years. On Wednesday, she just happened to be the “flavor of the night.” Shauna Harrison had two outstanding games recently, but was nearly invisible for the iup game. It’s just the way his team has been all season...and certainly NOT just these two players.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Feedoggie View Post

                      She seems to enjoy playing the game and generally gives it her all, but now being a senior, I feel she has left a lot on the floor over the years. On Wednesday, she just happened to be the “flavor of the night.” Shauna Harrison had two outstanding games recently, but was nearly invisible for the iup game. It’s just the way his team has been all season...and certainly NOT just these two players.
                      I have always been a DJ fan. She reminds me, skills wise, of LANA DORAN always working as hard as possible, totally into the STROM METHOD and a joy to watch. If this team had the offense that LD played with, we would be much happier fans.

                      Comment


                      • Tom's the main event tonight inside the KCAC. Edinboro is one of the hottest teams in the region -- winners of 7 of 8. In the Scots' last outing, they clobbered California by 25 points.

                        After a slow start, Edinboro is 12-6 in the PSAC (3rd in the West) and 14-8 overall. A win tonight would give them a huge NCAA resume boost.

                        IUP sits at 17-1 in conference play (two games ahead of Gannon) and 22-2 overall. A home loss could wipe out any hopes of hosting the Atlantic Regional.

                        The Crimson Hawks won the first meeting, 66-63, in McComb Field House. IUP blew a large lead in that game and barely survived an insane 4th quarter Edinboro rally.

                        Edinboro is led by star guard Michaela Barnes, who is averaging 25 ppg. Fellow guard Bridgett Shafer leads the PSAC with 72 three-pointers. The Fighting Scots are third in offense (74.4 ppg) in the league and second in defense (64.5 ppg).

                        Comment


                        • Tom blows two big leads but survives in 2 OT

                          Comment


                          • The women won by two things...
                            1) Alexander scores 20 but 4/17 from three. (The Dante Lombardi stat line) When does Tom pull the plug on her shooting?

                            2) How the heck do you not adjust on Barnes and key on her??? Horrid!!!

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
                              The women won by two things...
                              1) Alexander scores 20 but 4/17 from three. (The Dante Lombardi stat line) When does Tom pull the plug on her shooting?

                              2) How the heck do you not adjust on Barnes and key on her??? Horrid!!!

                              I think Tom took the Lombardi Method of letting Barnes go nuts but shutting everybody else down.

                              Edinboro got a glamorous call to send that to OT. From there, IUP was lucky to survive the first OT.

                              Courtney was just a hair off tonight. But, she kept chuckin'

                              Comment


                              • Tom got his worst-possible outcome ... Cal is their worst match-up in the entire PSAC.

                                A win and IUP hosts this weekend.

                                A loss could be devastating -- and cost Indiana two weekends of women's basketball (and money).

                                It's going to be quite the double-header tomorrow.

                                Comment

                                Ad3

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X