Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I now believe the IUP ladies are legit. They got two big crossover wins and despite the pretty ugly Kutztown game, it looks like they’re getting better while getting the benefit of winning at the same time. What I’m most surprised/impressed about is how they got here. When you want greener grass you either go to another pasture or fertilize the one you’re in. IUP has done the latter as Cerro, Cardona, and Preston are playing to their potential and gaining confidence. That takes a lot of pressure off of Baughman and Adams who are pretty gifted offensive players. Props to Coach Carey as well for figuring out the best system for the group he has.

We’ll see how the two transfers fit in but hopefully it doesn’t mess with team chemistry. IUP men’s and women’s basketball is a combined 19-0 right now. I hope people realize what a special era this is for IUP Basketball.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
      The ladies won today, 61-57.

It was one of the ugliest basketball games imaginable -- combined with a whistle festival.

IUP shot just 35.5% from the field and an ugly 14.3% from deep. Kutztown wasn't much better, shooting 37.3% and 22.2%.

Teirra Preston picked up her second foul, literally, 25 seconds in to the game. She sat the rest of the half. IUP trailed nearly the entire game but the tide started to shift upon her return. Maria Cerro had another strong game with 19 points.

The good news is the mid-year transfers are no longer a rumor. They were on the bench today (street clothes). One is a very tall guard -- I'd guess close to 6' or so. The other looks more like a PG.

Their arrival is going to be a massive boost because the current bench isn't giving them a whole lot of production.
      Some of the women's games seem to be turning into real foul-fests this season. There were 100 fouls called in Ship's two games against Bowie State, and I believe there were 45 called in one of the games up at Erie over the weekend. Shooting has been very erratic as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post
        I now believe the IUP ladies are legit. They got two big crossover wins and despite the pretty ugly Kutztown game, it looks like they’re getting better while getting the benefit of winning at the same time. What I’m most surprised/impressed about is how they got here. When you want greener grass you either go to another pasture or fertilize the one you’re in. IUP has done the latter as Cerro, Cardona, and Preston are playing to their potential and gaining confidence. That takes a lot of pressure off of Baughman and Adams who are pretty gifted offensive players. Props to Coach Carey as well for figuring out the best system for the group he has.

We’ll see how the two transfers fit in but hopefully it doesn’t mess with team chemistry. IUP men’s and women’s basketball is a combined 19-0 right now. I hope people realize what a special era this is for IUP Basketball.
        They passed a big test this week. Their offense worries me a bit. It can really vanish for long stretches. Then, of course, they go bonkers as we saw in the third quarter yesterday.

The mid-year transfers could tell the tale. If they are legit, this team may be able to make a nice run. They are 9-0 without them and should only be stronger with them. From what I've heard both are very strong defenders and one is a very good outside shooter.

Right now, the starting guards never really come off the floor. That's tough as the game goes along. This added depth -- and ability to spell KB and Cerro -- should do wonders.

Carey has done an amazing job with Cerro, Preston and Cardona. They don't even look like the same players they were a year ago.

The only thing I see he's lacking is working the officials. He's young and the officials don't really pay him any mind. That's a key item in close games. Lombardi is the master of it.

Things are going to get tougher in West play but I don't think anybody would have seen this team at 9-0 right now.

Comment

• Women moved up to 7th in today's national Top 25.

That's probably a stretch.

Comment

• The mid-year transfers were officially announced today. They are eligible effective immediately.

A 9-0 team added some depth (and potential immediate return). Always a risk, chemistry-wise, but I think it was the right move. If they blend in well, this could really elevate an already strong team.

From their films, this is an instant upgrade in team speed and defense.

Comment

• These Robert Morris ladies are a massive speed upgrade.

Comment

• Scott, the new PG, is going to be a nightmare in the PSAC. She looks like the female Brandon Spain.

Once they really mesh this could be something special.

Comment

• KB went for a whopping 32 last night in a Homecoming game of sorts (she's from near Millersville).

IUP had a huge crowd at the ladies game.

The Hawks and interim Coach Carey are 10-0. He may be getting that interim tag removed here soon.

Comment

KB went for a whopping 32 last night in a Homecoming game of sorts (she's from near Millersville).

IUP had a huge crowd at the ladies game.

The Hawks and interim Coach Carey are 10-0. He may be getting that interim tag removed here soon.
                    Other than Gannon, it doesn't look as if they have much competition in the West. Other than a bad outing against Gannon, Ship has handled every West team they've played relatively easily. They had Clarion last night, and I was surprised looking at my program to see that Clarion was 7-4 and 2-2 in the West going into that game. They didn't look very good at all.

Comment

These Robert Morris ladies are a massive speed upgrade.
                      …and they upgraded their education choice as well!

Comment

• So, it's apparently possible to still be undefeated in January, ranked No. 5 in one poll and NOT ranked in the other.

Such is the case for the IUP ladies.

Comment

• They were due for a bucket of puke.

It came today. Awful performance.

Comment

They were due for a bucket of puke.

It came today. Awful performance.
                            They’re going to struggle against quick, athletic teams. Granted, Hurst seemed to make every three they took and that’s not always going to happen, but they had a lot of wide open looks too. IUP is not a team built for speed. They looked like they were playing in slow motion compared to the much quicker Lakers ladies.

The officiating didn’t help IUP either. It was awful! Coach Carey didn’t seem to work the officials much at all other than a few arm raises. He should watch some men’s games and learn something from Joe who at times can be a master at it.

Let’s hope bringing in the two new faces doesn’t do more harm than good. Things looked disjointed a bit when DeShields was on the floor.

Comment

• Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

They’re going to struggle against quick, athletic teams. Granted, Hurst seemed to make every three they took and that’s not always going to happen, but they had a lot of wide open looks too. IUP is not a team built for speed. They looked like they were playing in slow motion compared to the much quicker Lakers ladies.

The officiating didn’t help IUP either. It was awful! Coach Carey didn’t seem to work the officials much at all other than a few arm raises. He should watch some men’s games and learn something from Joe who at times can be a master at it.

Let’s hope bringing in the two new faces doesn’t do more harm than good. Things looked disjointed a bit when DeShields was on the floor.
                              IUP was a train wreck defensively. Mercyhurst had them scouted well.

I'll give IUP credit for somehow hanging around.

But, yes, very slow team.

Comment

IUP was a train wreck defensively. Mercyhurst had them scouted well.

I'll give IUP credit for somehow hanging around.

But, yes, very slow team.
                                All the weaknesses were exposed. We all knew this team wasn’t undefeated good. It was a matter of time and the time was yesterday. I’ve seen people complaining about the refs and that’s why they lost. No, they lost bc their weaknesses were exposed.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X