Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New WJU MBB HC

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post
    Not really comparable. Public vs private. HBC vs Catholic. Part of PASSHE vs independent
    Opening a WVU branch/feeder strikes me as the most sensible option.
    Not sure. Are they still considered private if the state is taking over financially in a bailout?

Comment

I don't know the answer ... just thinking out loud. But the bailout would be state money.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
        I don't know the answer ... just thinking out loud. But the bailout would be state money.
        Apparently private but who knows in WV.

Comment

I too, am just thinking out loud. Any direct bailout with taxpayer $ (as opposed to the existing indirect aid such as waiving property taxes, giving students tuition deduction, etc.) would seem to only be constitutional if the buyout resulted in the physical plant and the college being converted to a public school (i.e., branch of WVU). Of course, one would argue that it is not the same school, as it would be secular, etc., but the counterargument would be that it would preserve some jobs (and votes LOL).

Comment

Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
            I too, am just thinking out loud. Any direct bailout with taxpayer $ (as opposed to the existing indirect aid such as waiving property taxes, giving students tuition deduction, etc.) would seem to only be constitutional if the buyout resulted in the physical plant and the college being converted to a public school (i.e., branch of WVU). Of course, one would argue that it is not the same school, as it would be secular, etc., but the counterargument would be that it would preserve some jobs (and votes LOL).
            Yeah ... even a small school like Wheeling does employ a lot of people.

Comment

Yeah ... even a small school like Wheeling does employ a lot of people.
              Given the number of staff necessary to operate the physical plant and administer the school, you'd probably be close to a 2 student to 1 employee ratio. Not an ideal business model since full tuition for 2 students would barely cover salary and benefits for that employee.
              Suggest someone choose the Bandaid approach and get it over with.

Comment

Reference: Cheyney
                Last I checked, Cheyney was still open.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
                  Last I checked, Cheyney was still open.
                  Correct

Comment

HEPC Recommendation was to allow wu to grant degrees in 2020, which is good news for seniors and the compassionate thing to do. No further commitment is stated. Heard rumor of only 400 enrolled. Anyone know number of full time students for 2019?

http://wvmetronews.com/2019/08/14/he...ng-university/
                    HEPC for all WV schools is year to year. For most schools that are in good shape, the review and approval is based on a review of submitted paperwork. If there is a special concern, like this year at WU, the HEPC does a site visit as part of the annual reauthorization process.

I've got no inside info on the current enrolment, but it seems like 400 is the level most people have been pointing to. If these 400 are paying full tuition, that would be almost as much as the school would have received from the 1200 previous student population based on the incredibly high tuition discounts that apparently almost every student at WJU was receiving! I've said all along that the WU plan seems to be to eliminate tuition discounts, cut enrolement to only those paying full tuition, cut staff to a level to support ONLY that base number of students, and then slowly build back to 1200'ish based on students paying full tuition being instructed by a staff that is right sized to do that.
                    Last edited by boatcapt; 08-15-2019, 07:11 AM.

Comment

• Re: New WJU MBB HC

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post
                      Given the number of staff necessary to operate the physical plant and administer the school, you'd probably be close to a 2 student to 1 employee ratio. Not an ideal business model since full tuition for 2 students would barely cover salary and benefits for that employee.
                      Suggest someone choose the Bandaid approach and get it over with.
                      Don't know what the rental contract with the diocese says, but typically the owner of the property is responsible for caring for the physical plant. Quite possible that the facility maintenance people are technically employed (and paid) by the Church and not WU.

Comment

Don't know what the rental contract with the diocese says, but typically the owner of the property is responsible for caring for the physical plant. Quite possible that the facility maintenance people are technically employed (and paid) by the Church and not WU.
                        Don't know the details as this landlord - tenant arrangement may be unique given the religious affilitation.
                        However, commercial lease responsibility is quite different from a rental agreement. Maybe some large commercial real estate experts could weigh in.

Here is what I found:
                        Basically, landlord is responsible for structural repairs, like foundation; tenant responsbile for everything else.
                        https://www.lexology.com/library/det...c-3d74e502ad21

Comment

Don't know the details as this landlord - tenant arrangement may be unique given the religious affilitation.
                          However, commercial lease responsibility is quite different from a rental agreement. Maybe some large commercial real estate experts could weigh in.

Here is what I found:
                          Basically, landlord is responsible for structural repairs, like foundation; tenant responsbile for everything else.
                          https://www.lexology.com/library/det...c-3d74e502ad21

A typical commercial lease places most or all of the responsibility for repairs and maintenance on the tenant
                          Not what I read at all. What I read was that there was a real difference between maintenance and repair. Maintenance being routing preventive measures typically required to keep a system in full operating condition...examples would be replacing AC filters and keeping rain gutters clean. The tenant is responsible for those. Repair costs are typically the responsibility of the owner. Examples include an air conditioner air handler that breaks and needs replacing.

I note that the maintenance staff at WU consists of 8 people...For comparison, WLU's maintenance staff consists of 23.
                          Last edited by boatcapt; 08-15-2019, 01:48 PM.

Comment

Not what I read at all. What I read was that there was a real difference between maintenance and repair. Maintenance being routing preventive measures typically required to keep a system in full operating condition...examples would be replacing AC filters and keeping rain gutters clean. The tenant is responsible for those. Repair costs are typically the responsibility of the owner. Examples include an air conditioner air handler that breaks and needs replacing.

I note that the maintenance staff at WU consists of 8 people...For comparison, WLU's maintenance staff consists of 23.
                            Good info, Boat. Only 8 people is very efficient. Would not expect there is much to cut there.

Comment

Good info, Boat. Only 8 people is very efficient. Would not expect there is much to cut there.
                              I believe that is after the cuts. The maintenance staff seems to be were the biggest # of cuts occurred, but based on a quick scan of all the administrative functions, looks like their restructuring resulted in much more "efficiency."

I understand the consternation around what's happening at WU and the jury is definently out on if their restructuring (down sizing) plan will ultimately work and I share many of those concerns, but they deserve at least a couple of years to see if they can pull it off. While it will probably never come out, I think WU will have a pretty good idea at the end of this academic year if they are going to be able to balance the books at 400 students. IF (big if) they can, then they have a chance of rebounding off the bottom and build slowly back to what I think is their target undergrad enrolment point of 1200.

I also point out that WU is a private school. As such, they aren't using tax payer $. Completely different situation that a public school that is failing and is receiving funds from the state year after year while enrolement falls year after year after year. While people may think that it is "stupid" for WU to stay open for a day longer, they are using private money and are not taking money from other more successful schools.

Some are concerned about the students and their ability to complete their degree at WU. This is an often voiced concern when universities suddenly go out of business. Different situation at WU. Any of the students that stayed OR that newly enrolled are going in with their eyes wide open knowing that the school has a real chance of closing before they can complete their degree. Armed with this knowledge, they still chose to stay/enroll.
                              Last edited by boatcapt; 08-16-2019, 07:30 AM.

Comment

Gotta feel bad for the WJU/WU athletic director Rudy Yovich. He's an Edinboro guy and a good guy overall. Walked into a position of opportunity developing football then this mess hits.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X