Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scrub View Post

The bottom half of that is real weird looking with the likes of Claflin, Lock Haven, & Concord. All are having good years to be sure. But none is a traditional power. And the absence of both Fairmont and your normal PSAC West powers (Cal, Mercyhurst, and sometimes Gannon) is glaring. Obviously tons of basketball left to play, but a very different looking poll than we're used to.
    Kinda surprised to see West Chester up there over The Rock. WCU had a nice win over Virginia State, but was handled pretty decisively by Mercyhurst and a Wilmington team that was beaten by Ship and Lock Haven. But there's plenty of season to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Kinda surprised to see West Chester up there over The Rock. WCU had a nice win over Virginia State, but was handled pretty decisively by Mercyhurst and a Wilmington team that was beaten by Ship and Lock Haven. But there's plenty of season to go.
      This is still the stage of looking at records and not investigating those records too closely.

Hence, the IUP women moved up to No. 11 today. They are 7-0 and haven't played a team with a winning record yet this year.

Comment

Tried watching Ship/FSU ... can't get the broadcast to stay on more than 30 seconds without freezing.

Comment

Not sure how to process the OT in the Ship/FSU game. May have to watch it again. Good Lord.

FSU won, 86-85.

Had Hale missed the winning FT and it went to 2 OT, they may have been pulling people out of the stands to play. Both teams were in serious foul trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
            Not sure how to process the OT in the Ship/FSU game. May have to watch it again. Good Lord.

FSU won, 86-85.

Had Hale missed the winning FT and it went to 2 OT, they may have been pulling people out of the stands to play. Both teams were in serious foul trouble.
            I lost count of the number of ways we blew that game. Bottom line is if they'd made FTs in the first half the game never would have gotten to OT. I'd certainly have traded one of Johnson's spectacular three-pointers in OT for the four consecutive free throws he missed in the first half. And then there were a ton of mental miscues by veteran players who should know better. A well-contested game, but it's hard to feel good about that one.

Comment

I lost count of the number of ways we blew that game. Bottom line is if they'd made FTs in the first half the game never would have gotten to OT. I'd certainly have traded one of Johnson's spectacular three-pointers in OT for the four consecutive free throws he missed in the first half. And then there were a ton of mental miscues by veteran players who should know better. A well-contested game, but it's hard to feel good about that one.
              Only saw a few minutes at the end, but yes, that sure felt like one that got away.

Comment

Aside from the crazy ending, the very odd item (as you mentioned) was the FT shooting.

Fairmont State was 7-9 in regulation (very few attempts), but then 10-17 in OT.

Shippensburg hit an atrocious 8-17 in the first half but then went 8-8 in the second half (as well as 2-2 in the OT).

Tell you what, about once a decade you see a game where the team still fouling down 8-9 with 27 seconds left actually comes back to take the lead. That happened last night.

After Carter's second trey (in about 5 clock seconds) ... that foul was extremely ticky tack -- especially in that moment. I think even the zebra got caught up in the hysteria.

Fite was not a happy camper in his interview. I can't believe he agrees to those interview immediately after the game ... I'm talking like he's still on the court afterward. Most coaches prefer a little 'cool off' period. He didn't mention the foul call but was pretty hot about the rebounding.

That is probably up for crazy game of the season.

Comment

Aside from the crazy ending, the very odd item (as you mentioned) was the FT shooting.

Fairmont State was 7-9 in regulation (very few attempts), but then 10-17 in OT.

Shippensburg hit an atrocious 8-17 in the first half but then went 8-8 in the second half (as well as 2-2 in the OT).

Tell you what, about once a decade you see a game where the team still fouling down 8-9 with 27 seconds left actually comes back to take the lead. That happened last night.

After Carter's second trey (in about 5 clock seconds) ... that foul was extremely ticky tack -- especially in that moment. I think even the zebra got caught up in the hysteria.

Fite was not a happy camper in his interview. I can't believe he agrees to those interview immediately after the game ... I'm talking like he's still on the court afterward. Most coaches prefer a little 'cool off' period. He didn't mention the foul call but was pretty hot about the rebounding.

That is probably up for crazy game of the season.
                  Thing was, the game never should have gone to OT. They should have been at least tied or ahead at halftime. I didn't understand the foul at the end, but Ship had killed themselves by committing some needless backcourt fouls earlier in the game. Things that are not called consistently in basketball these days are traveling, the three-second rule in the lane, and jumping over rebounders' backs. But there were a lot of things I didn't understand about that game, such as why no timeout for Ship with 10 seconds left in regulation — plenty of time to set up a play. Then at the end of OT, they had 21 seconds, but Carter didn't even make a serious move at the basket until under 8 seconds. Largely due, I think, to the three-point shot, the art of setting up game-ending plays is becoming a thing of the past. You NEVER go for a final shot when you're behind because if you don't make it the ballgame is over. And that's exactly what happened. That was a big loss. They need at least one up in Erie this weekend and a win with Clarion at the end of the month.

Comment

Thing was, the game never should have gone to OT. They should have been at least tied or ahead at halftime. I didn't understand the foul at the end, but Ship had killed themselves by committing some needless backcourt fouls earlier in the game. Things that are not called consistently in basketball these days are traveling, the three-second rule in the lane, and jumping over rebounders' backs. But there were a lot of things I didn't understand about that game, such as why no timeout for Ship with 10 seconds left in regulation — plenty of time to set up a play. Then at the end of OT, they had 21 seconds, but Carter didn't even make a serious move at the basket until under 8 seconds. Largely due, I think, to the three-point shot, the art of setting up game-ending plays is becoming a thing of the past. You NEVER go for a final shot when you're behind because if you don't make it the ballgame is over. And that's exactly what happened. That was a big loss. They need at least one up in Erie this weekend and a win with Clarion at the end of the month.
                    They'll smoke Gannon. Ship/Mercy will be another good one.

Comment

They'll smoke Gannon. Ship/Mercy will be another good one.
                      We'll see. Weird season so far.

Comment

When you think you've finally seen it all from a league (PSAC) that has no concept of marketing or revenue generation ... you look at the upcoming crossover schedule and realize, well, you really haven't seen it all. This upcoming schedule is so bizarre it would only make sense in this conference.

For starters, why are they playing Sunday/Monday instead of Friday/Saturday or Saturday/Sunday?

Secondly, 7 of the 9 Monday games start at 3 p.m. -- on a work day. This is so bad it's laughable. Talk about empty gyms.

Thirdly, 7 of the 9 Sunday games start at 3 p.m. -- directly 'competing' with the NFL.

Their best bet for selling tickets would have been to schedule this weekend with Friday night games (all starting at 7 p.m.) and then Saturday late afternoon or night games.

There are some really good games Monday (again, at 3 freaking p.m.) that nobody is going to see. Thankfully, Gannon and IUP had the sense to schedule their games at 7:30 p.m. and 8 p.m.

And, of course, they wonder why they don't get fans (or any sort of following) in 90% of our gyms. This is Exhibit A.

Comment

When you think you've finally seen it all from a league (PSAC) that has no concept of marketing or revenue generation ... you look at the upcoming crossover schedule and realize, well, you really haven't seen it all. This upcoming schedule is so bizarre it would only make sense in this conference.

For starters, why are they playing Sunday/Monday instead of Friday/Saturday or Saturday/Sunday?

Secondly, 7 of the 9 Monday games start at 3 p.m. -- on a work day. This is so bad it's laughable. Talk about empty gyms.

Thirdly, 7 of the 9 Sunday games start at 3 p.m. -- directly 'competing' with the NFL.

Their best bet for selling tickets would have been to schedule this weekend with Friday night games (all starting at 7 p.m.) and then Saturday late afternoon or night games.

There are some really good games Monday (again, at 3 freaking p.m.) that nobody is going to see. Thankfully, Gannon and IUP had the sense to schedule their games at 7:30 p.m. and 8 p.m.

And, of course, they wonder why they don't get fans (or any sort of following) in 90% of our gyms. This is Exhibit A.
                          Truth! Dumbest D2 conference in the country. Friday/Saturday evenings are the best across the boards.

Comment

Seems like we just got started, but most Atlantic Region men's teams have already played more than 33 percent of their regular seasons. So, it's not 'early' anymore. These losses are big in the race for the NCAA spots. "Most" years, 8 losses or less can get a team an invitation to the dance. More than 8 losses and things get dicey in a hurry.

Tracking just losses (no metrics):

0-1 loss

IUP - 10-0
                            West Liberty - 10-1
                            East Stroudsburg - 9-1
                            West Virginia State - 9-1
                            Claflin - 9-1
                            Slippery Rock - 9-1
                            Mercyhurst - 7-1

2-3 losses

Virginia Union - 10-2
                            Winston-Salem State - 10-2
                            Lock Haven - 7-2
                            Virginia State - 9-3
                            Fairmont State - 8-3
                            Pitt-Johnstown - 7-3
                            Concord - 7-3

Danger Zone (4-5 losses)

Davis & Elkins - 9-4
                            Millersville - 6-4
                            Shepherd - 6-4
                            Seton Hill - 6-4
                            Millersville - 6-4
                            West Chester - 6-4
                            Notre Dame - 6-4
                            Charleston - 6-5
                            Glenville State - 6-5
                            Shippensburg - 5-5

My 'Top 8' as of this moment:

1. IUP
                            2. West Liberty
                            3. West Virginia State
                            4. East Stroudsburg
                            5. Mercyhurst
                            6. Virginia Union
                            7. Winston-Salem State
                            8. Fairmont State

SRU and Claflin are left out. Both are 9-1, but have played pretty light schedules -- and, lost against good teams.

California, not mentioned above, is now 4-6. However, the Vulcans have been sans two key starters all season. Depending when (if) they return, Cal could instantly become very strong. But, they better get back soon. Six losses before Santa is typically walking the plank.

Comment

California, not mentioned above, is now 4-6. However, the Vulcans have been sans two key starters all season. Depending when (if) they return, Cal could instantly become very strong. But, they better get back soon. Six losses before Santa is typically walking the plank.
                              Unless, of course, those additions make them strong enough to win the auto-bid in the PSAC tourney!

Comment

Originally posted by Scrub View Post

Unless, of course, those additions make them strong enough to win the auto-bid in the PSAC tourney!
                                That's certainly possible. I'd just hate to have to reply on that if I was a Cal fan. For starters, the East hosts the finals this year so that likely makes it all the more difficult.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X