Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    I took Seton Hill in the Pick 'Em last night but I didn't really think they'd beat UPJ. That's a big win for the Griffins.

Seton Hill was 3-24 last year -- and got routinely pummeled. Ben Wilkins has done an incredible job -- quickly. They are now 10-6 with quality wins against Ship, ESU, UPJ and SRU. Their only little funk came when their star PG missed several games.

They hit 14 treys on UPJ last night (14-30). That's impressive.
    Three-point shooting has really transformed the game. Ship couldn't shake Bloomsburg last night, despite dominating the paint, because their three-point shooting (4-of-20) was lousy while Bloom shot fairly well behind the arc. Shepherd apparently bombarded ESU with better than 50 percent shooting behind the line — apparently gave ESU some of its own medicine as the Warriors couldn't miss when they played Ship. Unless you're playing a truly bad team, you can never really count on a comfortable night any more.

The guy at Seton Hill has done a good job. And one thing I will say is I have to give credit to the coaches and players in the PSAC this year for hustling and playing hard whatever their record. Bloom didn't play like a winless team last night. They competed at a high level and scrapped until the end. Mansfield has kept plugging and is now picking up a win on occasion. I'm actually a little leery of the rematch up there. I don't think the league overall is as good as last season, but it remains very competitive.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrub View Post
      But a "good" loss (i.e., to a Mercyhurst or ESU) won't hurt as bad as WVSU losing at home to Glenville or WLU getting blown out by a Fairmont team that WE all know is really good, but that regional ranking bots might not realize is that good due to their 3-game bender in December.
      For what it's worth, I had Fairmont at #6 this week. From a regional ranking standpoint, there's no way WLU's loss can be considered a bad one.

Comment

Originally posted by Inkblot View Post

For what it's worth, I had Fairmont at #6 this week. From a regional ranking standpoint, there's no way WLU's loss can be considered a bad one.
        I trust your analysis, Inkblot--you're usually on point. #6 sounds about right for Fairmont at this point. Not knowing the metrics, I feared Fairmont might have looked, on paper, worse than #6.

Comment

Now, the Wheeling loss--THAT's a bad loss, Inkblot. ; )

And Charleston beat WVSU tonight as well. The MEC is in shambles this week. With ESU dropping another one, I would say pack your bags for Indiana, but that would mean actually making the regional field which feels like anything but a lock this week.

Comment

And Charleston beat WVSU tonight as well. The MEC is in shambles this week. With ESU dropping another one, I would say pack your bags for Indiana, but that would mean actually making the regional field which feels like anything but a lock this week.
            Charleston is scary-good. At times.

Comment

Interesting past week. Here is a capsule of the Atlantic Region MEN'S race (grouped solely on number of losses):

0-1

IUP (17-0)

2-3 losses

Mercyhurst (13-2)
              West Liberty (15-3)
              West Virginia State (15-3)
              East Stroudsburg (14-3)

4-5 losses

Virginia Union (16-4)
              Claflin (14-3)
              Fairmont State (14-4)
              Charleston (13-5)
              Winston-Salem State (13-5)
              Pitt-Johnstown (12-5)
              Slippery Rock (12-5)
              West Chester (12-5)
              Lock Haven (11-5)

6 losses

Virginia State (13-6)
              Glenville State (12-6)
              Seton Hill (11-6)
              Shippensburg (11-6)

Comment

For the top team in the MEC, the Wheeling loss IS a bad one! But I would quibble with the use of shambles to describe the MEC. The MEC has almost always been a conference were nearly every team has a degree of talent and on occasions every year, that talent jumps up and bites to top teams. Seems like this year though, the difference in talent between the bottom team and the top teams is more narrow sooo...more upsets. Most years the "9 times out of 10" saying applies in the MEC...This year it seems the saying should be rewritten to 8 or 7 times out of 10.

Comment

The D2SIDA Regional Rankings come out today. After last week, these are not easy to rank.

My guess:

1. IUP
                  2. Mercyhurst
                  3. West Virginia State
                  4. West Liberty
                  5. East Stroudsburg
                  6. Virginia Union
                  7. Fairmont State
                  8. Claflin

There are some real big games - NCAA-wise - this week.

If we get some whacky stuff in the conference tournaments, Selection Sunday could be wild. We all know the CIAA favorite rarely wins the CIAA Tournament. As of now, I think they clearly have (2) teams in the Top 8.

Comment

And, naturally as soon as I post that they come out.

1. IUP (6)
                    2. West Liberty
                    3. Mercyhurst
                    4. Virginia Union
                    5. West Virginia State
                    6. Fairmont State
                    7. East Stroudsburg
                    8. Claflin
                    9. Charleston
                    10. West Chester

Votes: SRU, VSU, WSSU

Just a hunch, but I'd guess the scientific version (metrics) would come out quite a bit differently.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                      And, naturally as soon as I post that they come out.

1. IUP (6)
                      2. West Liberty
                      3. Mercyhurst
                      4. Virginia Union
                      5. West Virginia State
                      6. Fairmont State
                      7. East Stroudsburg
                      8. Claflin
                      9. Charleston
                      10. West Chester

Votes: SRU, VSU, WSSU

Just a hunch, but I'd guess the scientific version (metrics) would come out quite a bit differently.
                      I’m sure inkblot is on it as we speak.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

Mercy/UPJ is a big one tonight.

LH/SRU is, too. One of them is taking their 6th loss.

Comment

Did it last night and will tweet it later this afternoon.

Comment

• Comment

• Wow! East Stroud needs some SOS wins in a hurry.

Comment

Wow! East Stroud needs some SOS wins in a hurry.
                                Torn on UPJ at 7.

They've played a tough schedule. They've also lost most of their tough games.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X