Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A few thoughts on a couple topics from above

TOPIC 1
    …..I've heard every theory on Tom's departure. Some say he jumped off a sinking ship. Some say he really did just want to retire. Regardless, a couple people know the truth -- and, none of them are on this message board…….

I heard the admin wanted to mess with Tom’s WBB funding and allocate some of it elsewhere within athletics. Tom didn’t want to reduce the ladies scholarship money that close to the school year. He baled because of the principle. This is from some decent sources but I don’t claim to know for sure. BigIndians response was more appropriate than mine.

TOPIC 2
    ……Curious why is Gannon a great D2 job?

I don’t know the level of funding MBB gets at GU now but in the Reilly years I was always amazed they would have players from 5-8 different countries. 2014-2015 was 8 countries. Either John had great contacts abroad who were doing the international recruiting for him or he had a nice recruiting and scholarship budget. Seemed like money was there.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPTrackMan View Post

TOPIC 1
      …..I've heard every theory on Tom's departure. Some say he jumped off a sinking ship. Some say he really did just want to retire. Regardless, a couple people know the truth -- and, none of them are on this message board…….

I heard the admin wanted to mess with Tom’s WBB funding and allocate some of it elsewhere within athletics. Tom didn’t want to reduce the ladies scholarship money that close to the school year. He baled because of the principle. This is from some decent sources but I don’t claim to know for sure. BigIndians response was more appropriate than mine.

TOPIC 2

I don’t know the level of funding MBB gets at GU now but in the Reilly years I was always amazed they would have players from 5-8 different countries. 2014-2015 was 8 countries. Either John had great contacts abroad who were doing the international recruiting for him or he had a nice recruiting and scholarship budget. Seemed like money was there.
      I'm always amazed at the number of international players I see at some D2 teams. Ship, as Chris Fite sometimes says, is usually "a bunch of guys from Pennsylvania."

Comment

Originally posted by IUPTrackMan View Post

TOPIC 1

TOPIC 2

Unsure about the Gannon salary but the scholarship budget is pretty nice. They have decent attendance and support. The Erie media is definitely on their side. Big plus is the pending major renovation of Hammermill. I imagine this renovation will put it back to #2 or #3 in the conference after IUP and maybe Cal.

Catholic schools like Gannon always seem to get international kids - even high schools if that's their thing. Kennedy Catholic thrives on these kids. Coaches aren't going to Croatia or wherever to recruit. For the most part they're meeting them at recruiting combines and tournaments in the states. International kids want to come to the US so its an easy sell. Plus depending on where they come from, their government pays the bill (the full fake sticker price, too). Since the PASSHE schools don't do the sticker price game, there is no financial advantage - they cost just about as much as an out of state kid.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

I’ve got a hunch who might get hired. It’ll be a joke of a program if he is.
          Kind of is a joke already, right? Worst scholarship funding in the West and arguably the worst facility. Seriously - if you're ever on campus, go downstairs in McComb. Especially in the summer.

It will be an interesting process. Cleary was a well-liked guy in McComb and in town. He's been a fixture in that building since he was a student in the 90s. He and his wife live in Edinboro (which is rare for Edinboro people), go to church in town, daughter goes to the campus daycare, etc. I've mentioned that his wife is the head coach for track and assistant for cross country. Everyone in McComb knew his situation, so I'm curious what this does to the dynamic in that department.

The only names I've heard thrown out are Kevin Reynolds and Ben Swank. Reynolds knows Cleary well and I doubt he'd want that situation. Can't imagine its that much of an improvement over Point Park. Swank could be good (his dad was a legend) but he'd be a first time head coach and has he really been somewhere where fundraising is almost as critical as recruiting. I worry he'd be thrown into the same situation as Matt Hill with wrestling - declining resources and a first time head coach. Edinboro claims there is a plan to do a full renovation of McComb through the state but they've been telling me that for 5 years and with what I can see its not even submitted to the state for future funding.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Kind of is a joke already, right? Worst scholarship funding in the West and arguably the worst facility. Seriously - if you're ever on campus, go downstairs in McComb. Especially in the summer.

It will be an interesting process. Cleary was a well-liked guy in McComb and in town. He's been a fixture in that building since he was a student in the 90s. He and his wife live in Edinboro (which is rare for Edinboro people), go to church in town, daughter goes to the campus daycare, etc. I've mentioned that his wife is the head coach for track and assistant for cross country. Everyone in McComb knew his situation, so I'm curious what this does to the dynamic in that department.

The only names I've heard thrown out are Kevin Reynolds and Ben Swank. Reynolds knows Cleary well and I doubt he'd want that situation. Can't imagine its that much of an improvement over Point Park. Swank could be good (his dad was a legend) but he'd be a first time head coach and has he really been somewhere where fundraising is almost as critical as recruiting. I worry he'd be thrown into the same situation as Matt Hill with wrestling - declining resources and a first time head coach. Edinboro claims there is a plan to do a full renovation of McComb through the state but they've been telling me that for 5 years and with what I can see its not even submitted to the state for future funding.
            Not a chance they are remodeling McComb. You can already tell sports are not a priority unless you’re the volleyball coach.

They want sports to decline and not fund the scholarships. They want the sports only for the students who pay their way. They want the revenue. Can’t cut sports bc then they lose far to many students.

Comment

Not a chance they are remodeling McComb. You can already tell sports are not a priority unless you’re the volleyball coach.

They want sports to decline and not fund the scholarships. They want the sports only for the students who pay their way. They want the revenue. Can’t cut sports bc then they lose far to many students.
              They won't do the work necessary to improve. Just maintenance. It's the campus culture and why they're failing. Sports are viewed as student entertainment or involvement. Not community engagement. Not brand marketing. Not alumni affinity.

Volleyball coach doesn't have any power anymore. She got her money and isn't winning anymore. Notice you don't see her boyfriend posting on here anymore. Lacrosse is a sport they have where scholarships don't matter but they can't keep a coach and the program sucks. Tennis is doing well.

McComb renovation would be state funded but it's about 5 years from approval to shovels. I don't know if Penn West has 5 years to spare. Should have been a priority 15 years ago but Bruce was on auto pilot heading into retirement. He would have retired as AD if he didn't screw up the volleyball coach situation.

Comment

They won't do the work necessary to improve. Just maintenance. It's the campus culture and why they're failing. Sports are viewed as student entertainment or involvement. Not community engagement. Not brand marketing. Not alumni affinity.

Volleyball coach doesn't have any power anymore. She got her money and isn't winning anymore. Notice you don't see her boyfriend posting on here anymore. Lacrosse is a sport they have where scholarships don't matter but they can't keep a coach and the program sucks. Tennis is doing well.

McComb renovation would be state funded but it's about 5 years from approval to shovels. I don't know if Penn West has 5 years to spare. Should have been a priority 15 years ago but Bruce was on auto pilot heading into retirement. He would have retired as AD if he didn't screw up the volleyball coach situation.
                What was that guys screen name? I was ruthless with that and still am. Her whole family is a bunch of entitled turds!

Comment

I suspect Gannon makes its hire this week.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                    I suspect Gannon makes its hire this week.
                    Could be a glitch with Jefferson now suing for three years worth of salary. That ***** AD is a bigger moron than I thought for extending him through 2026.

Comment

Could be a glitch with Jefferson now suing for three years worth of salary. That ***** AD is a bigger moron than I thought for extending him through 2026.
                      Yeah but Erie media told us she's the greatest AD in the history of sports.

Upside is that we see Gannon was paying KJ $106k. Without knowing what Hurst, UPJ, and Seton Hill pay their coaches, that makes KJ the second highest paid in the West.

Comment

Upside is that we see Gannon was paying KJ $106k. Without knowing what Hurst, UPJ, and Seton Hill pay their coaches, that makes KJ the second highest paid in the West.
                        She’s the greatest but yet the only two coaches she hired was Jefferson and the football coach. Football coaches choked and Jefferson fired. Now add to it her coasting tge University 3 years of salary and lawyer fees.

Comment

She’s the greatest but yet the only two coaches she hired was Jefferson and the football coach. Football coaches choked and Jefferson fired. Now add to it her coasting tge University 3 years of salary and lawyer fees.
                          Football coach was an easy hire in my opinion. Not very often you have someone with 19 years head coaching experience hanging out in the football office and still in their 40s.

Comment

You'd sure think Manchel is making much more than $106,000. He should be in the Lombardi range.

I'd bet the new SH coach is in the $75,000 to $80,000 range.

Comment

Jim Boone took the job at D3 Greensboro. There was a rumor he was interested in the Edinboro job.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                                Jim Boone took the job at D3 Greensboro. There was a rumor he was interested in the Edinboro job.
                                They want to go young (and cheap). They'll get a first time head coach. Exactly like Nulph.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X