Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

If memory serves, schools used to make a big tado about an offer and subsequent commitment by the player but as many players and schools learned, they weren't worth the paper they were written on. The ONLY thing that matters, legally, is the actual signed and returned NLI. Anything else (verbal commit, offer, preferred walk-on offer, etc) is just a way to try and convince the player that they are somehow obligated to come to their school.

Also, there has been some speculation that DII NLI's are year-to-year while D1's are for 4 years. Not true...ALL NLI's are for one academic year regardless of the level. Technically, the player only signs an NLI the first year they attend a particular school. In subsequent years, the school contacts the player and either extends their commitment another year or tells them that they are not extending their commitment.
    Yes, it’s ugly out there. I had to deal with it in baseball. Travel coaches telling kids they’re getting looks…go to this showcase and that one…skip your local league, etc. They all think they’re going D1 by the time they’re 15. I had the mother of a freshman tell me “Yeah, we’re hoping ‘Johnny’ gets some exposure at this weekend’s showcase.” The kid hadn’t even played a season of varsity high school ball yet!!

Comment

• Some 'incoming' news:

Gannon has signed former Union PG Justin Debuck. That's the second player from Union this off-season to sign with the Knights.

Millersville has signed former Holy Family PG Aamir Hurst.

West Chester has signed former Rider SF Anthony McCall.

Some other news and notes:

* Former West Liberty (and Wheeling) player Ryan Reasbeck (SG) has again entered the portal. He is from Washington, PA. There's probably a decent chance he lands in the West. After a solid freshman season at Wheeling, Reasbeck redshirted at WL this past year.

* Rumor going around is if former Cal star K.J. McClurg stays in D2, he will pick between two schools (one is in the PSAC and the other is in the MEC). However, he is getting a lot of lower-level D1 interest.

Comment

• Been dealing with a lot of life the last few months, but retaining the AC so far isn't going well. As of this moment, they have only 3 remaining from last year's roster, 1 who barely played. Just Montano, Shelton, and Bennett, and from what I hear, I expect 0 returners from this year for Gannon. WTAF is going on up here is beyond me, but sure as **** that salary isn't cutting it. Alumni and boosters are pissed.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheMadLibs View Post
          Been dealing with a lot of life the last few months, but retaining the AC so far isn't going well. As of this moment, they have only 3 remaining from last year's roster, 1 who barely played. Just Montano, Shelton, and Bennett, and from what I hear, I expect 0 returners from this year for Gannon. WTAF is going on up here is beyond me, but sure as **** that salary isn't cutting it. Alumni and boosters are pissed.
          Shelton would be a major loss. He's going to be a star.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheMadLibs View Post
            Been dealing with a lot of life the last few months, but retaining the AC so far isn't going well. As of this moment, they have only 3 remaining from last year's roster, 1 who barely played. Just Montano, Shelton, and Bennett, and from what I hear, I expect 0 returners from this year for Gannon. WTAF is going on up here is beyond me, but sure as **** that salary isn't cutting it. Alumni and boosters are pissed.
            Since these kids all interacted with Bazzoli, is this saying that they have no faith in the direction of the program? The list of transfers seems extreme at this point since Bazzoli stated The System will remain the same.

Comment

• I saw someone posted when Bazzoli was hired that it must have been months in the making, which seemed both rational and encouraging at the time. We were bound to lose a few to the portal, but I imagined the quick in house promotion was a shrewd move to retain continuity and was at least partly factored by the players advocating for him. Now seeing the roster ripped to shreds, looks like it was a classic cost cutting move by McGuirk and GU.

Which is unforunate, but its something we've gotten used to up here. My late grandfather was a booster and attended games since the 70s, and started taking me to the games in the mid 90s. Everyone knows what a unique atmosphere that was despite the obvious need for a makeover of the Mill. Other than igorning the makeover until this year ironically, it was always enjoyable to see them field a consistently competetive team whether it was in the GLIAC or the PSAC, and it kept the seats full. Fast forward to now, they've cycled through more coaches in my last 2 years watching than the first 28. And full disclosure, I was a Riley truther. McGuirk and Taylor were always the culprits for the decline in both performance and fan intersest in my opinion.

Fast forward to this year, which was truly unforgettable. Obviously Fee was a homerun hire, and this season may be one of the most historic anomolies in the history of college basketball, regardless of divison. Clearly they got exposed late, but as mentioned on this board while the team was talented, Fee truly was a miracle worker getting them that far, that fast. Rent a gym was packed again, new facilities incoming, I was finally ready to absolve McGuirk.

Anyone who thought Fee was going to be there long is a delusional Knight fan, but even I was surprised he dipped out after one year with what he had coming back and what seemed like a renewed commitment to competing by finally tapping the vast resources the school has at their disposal. Appears now he saw the writing on the wall and got out of dodge at the first oppurtunity.

Saldy for this knights fan, who always wanted to just be in the same class as far as IUP runs their program, that reality seems to have vanished almost as quickly and unexpectedly as it came in.

I wish Bazzoli the best of luck, but its clear the administration is still about cutting corners, and as long as that is the case, even if he does tremendously well despite the turmoil, he will be looking for greener pastures the moment the season is over. Sad reality, but that's just par for the course up here since this regime took over.

Comment

• Originally posted by bballfan03 View Post
                Omajafo and Whitley in Portal.

Not concerned about Whitley, but I think Josh is making a mistake looking at D1. I just don't think he's mentally got it for D1.
                I actually like Whitley. Remember, he was just a sophomore.

He may be better suited for a half-court game but he's ultra athletic for that 6'6" frame.

The trick seems to be finding his best position. He can shoot the ball and he defends very well. He also plays with a lot of emotion and energy.

I think he'd excell in a hybrid SG/SF role.

They can't all be stars. I think he could be a very high-level role player on a good team.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

I actually like Whitley. Remember, he was just a sophomore.

He may be better suited for a half-court game but he's ultra athletic for that 6'6" frame.

The trick seems to be finding his best position. He can shoot the ball and he defends very well. He also plays with a lot of emotion and energy.

I think he'd excell in a hybrid SG/SF role.

They can't all be stars. I think he could be a very high-level role player on a good team.
                  I agree with you, he's talented! But he's not a fit if Bazzoli is keeping "The System".

Comment

• Originally posted by gman16506 View Post

Since these kids all interacted with Bazzoli, is this saying that they have no faith in the direction of the program? The list of transfers seems extreme at this point since Bazzoli stated The System will remain the same.
                    Players aren't dumb, They can read what Fee was before coming to Gannon and also what Bazzoli was and then make a judgement that he will probably revert to what he spent his entire career being. Will Bizzoli try to keep the WLU Style in place? I think he will try but I don't think one year as an AC in the System is enough to make it work at the level it did this year at Gannon. Like I've said before, the WLU Style is not really a hard thing to install and practice...but it IS a hard System from the standpoint of it's hard to fight the urge of playing the most athletically gifted 5 players over the one that fits the System best. Also, it is a System that doesn't lend itself to part-time or selective application...You either do it all the way, or you don't do it. While not an exact comparison, it's kind of like Ali's Rope-a-Dope..Encourage your opponent to keep running, and running, and running until they are exhausted...Then burry them in a rain of 3's and turn-overs.

Comment

• Shippensburg Whippen in portal .

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship76 View Post
                        Shippensburg Whippen in portal .
                        Awesome

He's going for the very rare 5 schools in 5 years

Comment

• Keeslar (SF previously from Walsh) has signed with D1 Chattanooga.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship76 View Post
                            Shippensburg Whippen in portal .
                            Yeah, that was the first one that really surprised people this year. Apparently the kid can't stand to be in the same place for more than a year. I guess I hope he finds whatever it is he is seeking.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Yeah, that was the first one that really surprised people this year. Apparently the kid can't stand to be in the same place for more than a year. I guess I hope he finds whatever it is he is seeking.
                              He has to go to the CIAA and complete the extremely rare Atlantic Region Triple Crown (he'd probably be the first and last).

Joking aside did his teammates like him?

Five in five is a total joke but he's found a way.

Did his brother retire? They used to be a combo deal.

Comment

• 5th Transfer :) to school that has European trip scheduled ? Show up - no Super Bowl polls to sell , no golf outings to attend , no car washes, no ncaa basketball final blocks - just make sure passport updated . Nice travel arrangement !

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X