Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The NEW Official Thread of the Augustana Vikings

Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post
    Is there any prior scenarios like this? I'm sure if they have someone lined up already that they wouldnt hesitate to pit the ban on, if they dont then they wouldn't. Just a totally random guess.
    The last time that a team left the NSIC would have been 2004 when UMD left for the NCC. I don't remember what, if any, penalties were invoked. And I don't know what the bylaws say.

Comment

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post
      If, in 10-20 years, the fan support has grown beyond the walls of the Pentagon, I wouldn't be shocked if the Vikes would try to do a major, major Elmen Center overhaul or build an entirely new on-campus stadium. But we'd have to be drawing, what... 7,000-10,000 a game?... before things would get that crazy, and I find it hard to believe it would happen anytime in the near, near future.
      I think that on-campus is always preferable to off-campus (I didn't like MSU's experiment of playing downtown before the Taylor Center was built) but what would you do with parking for that many people? I've had to park quite a ways away when going to the Elmen. Like you said, that might be many years in the future- would they put permanent parking across the street where they have it for football now?

Comment

I found a picture of Mr Mr teasing an Augie women's basketball player.

Ms Auggie- Mr Mr, I know that your going to move that basket as soon as I shoot!

Mr Mr- No, no, no- who do you think I am, Lucy from Peanuts? I won't move it. Go ahead and shoot!

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post
          Chad's Free Press column on Augie leaving........

http://www.mankatofreepress.com/spor..._medium=social
          Originally posted by Moorhead123 View Post
          No idea of how politics shake out with something like this, but my gut tells me benefit of doubt may not work in Augie favor on this issue...
          If you and Chad Courrier think Sanford is going to let the NSIC ban Augie from the basketball conf tourney, for example, in SF then I have some bitcoin Id love to sell you.

Comment

Originally posted by Augieholic View Post
            If you and Chad Courrier think Sanford is going to let the NSIC ban Augie from the basketball conf tourney, for example, in SF then I have some bitcoin Id love to sell you.
            I don't think that they will. I haven't heard anyone say that it is in the bylaws.

Comment

Does Augie need 6 or 7 of 9 votes to get invited? How will these schools vote? Sanford may be calling in some chips.

Denver- they want to go to the WCC. But that might take a while. Probably yes.
              Fort Wayne- I'd say no. Puts the conference even more in the Dakotas. Would the Horizon invite them?
              Nebraska-Omaha- do they care about anything besides hockey? Probably vote yes.
              North Dakota- no Sanford $ that I know of- maybe a yes for travel costs?
              North Dakota State- yes
              Oral Roberts- probably yes
              South Dakota- yes
              South Dakota State- yes
              Western Illinois- no. Would they go to the OVC?

Comment

Does Augie need 6 or 7 of 9 votes to get invited? How will these schools vote? Sanford may be calling in some chips.

Fort Wayne- I'd say no. Puts the conference even more in the Dakotas. Would the Horizon invite them?
                North Dakota State- yes
                South Dakota- yes
                South Dakota State- yes
                I know you arent talking fan based so this isnt really relevant. Living in this awful Bison area I have yet to meet a Bison supporter who wants Augie. Obviously most are bandwagon FB fans that dont know what the NCC is/was when I start talking about it. Administrators should vote yes for sure as baseball and softball only have six teams. Just always makes me laugh that because of footballs success these "fans" think the entire athletic department is far superior to all others.

Long gone are the days of "long standing members " of conferences....this movement stuff is annoying and I miss the old days, ha

Comment

Administrators should vote yes for sure as baseball and softball only have six teams.

Long gone are the days of "long standing members " of conferences....this movement stuff is annoying and I miss the old days, ha
                  Yes, that becomes pretty important. You have to look at the overall program.

Remember when the Big Ten actually had ten teams? And the Big 12 was a dozen? Of course, I was a Big 8 fan. It seems like the problems started when the Big 8 and Southwest Conference joined together.

Comment

North Dakota State- yes
                    South Dakota- yes
                    South Dakota State- yes
                    I see a lot of these types of conversations on some of the local D1 boards from anti-Augie posters. To be clear, I'm not saying you fall into that category, laker, but that several anti-Augie Summit League fans are posting sentiments like this and making bold claims like, "If we add Augie, WIU, Denver, etc. are all going to bolt and screw us over!"

Here's my question: How are they going to do that? If Denver had the ability to get out of the Summit and go to a "better" conference for them, why aren't they doing it or why haven't they done it yet? If Fort Wayne wants to leave because Augie gets added but the Horizon never decides to invite them (because guess what, they really aren't that good anyway, in several sports), then what other option do they have besides saying, "Man, that's a bummer that Augie got added."?

All of these anti-Augie fans keep saying everyone will leave, but everywhere they "could" leave for is based entirely on major, major what-ifs and speculation rather than any reasonable conversation or even semi-legitimate rumors.

I just think it's interesting/entertaining. If I were a Summit League fan, I'd be concerned if Denver had already turned down an invite to the WCC once or twice but suddenly would reconsider it upon Augie's addition. But the truth is, if the WCC ever decides it wants Denver, Denver is probably going to bounce whether Augie has joined the Summit or not.

Then again, I'm not an expert in conference switcharoos, so, as always, there's a pretty good chance I just sound like an uninformed idiot. But hey, that's what message boards are for, right?

I know you arent talking fan based so this isnt really relevant. Living in this awful Bison area I have yet to meet a Bison supporter who wants Augie. Obviously most are bandwagon FB fans that dont know what the NCC is/was when I start talking about it. Administrators should vote yes for sure as baseball and softball only have six teams. Just always makes me laugh that because of footballs success these "fans" think the entire athletic department is far superior to all others.

The funniest thing is they should be one of the least concerned programs. Augie will never compete with them in football unless Augie does someday go full-scholarship (not seeing that happening anytime soon), none of them care about or support their horrendous, horrendous women's basketball team, and I doubt Augie would compete with them in track and field for years to come, seeing as few Summit League schools compete with them in track and field now. I don't know about baseball and softball, but it seems men's basketball would be one of the few sports Augie would potentially give them a challenge in down the road when it gets to that point. And if they're that anti-Augie just because of men's basketball competition, that's a weird little world they live in up there. Especially when they have the best head start of the four Dakota schools, the only Summit League win in the men's tourney, and substantially better budget and facilities for winning in basketball.

Comment

I see a lot of these types of conversations on some of the local D1 boards from anti-Augie posters.
                      4life hit it on the head- it isn't the fan base that will be voting on this- it is the administrators. That is what I'm trying to figure out- who votes how and why do they do so. I thought I heard 7 of 9 yes votes were necessary but someone else could confirm that. Anyone who has taken Sanford money is unlikely to vote against this.

Kansas City would come back if asked. But I'm not so sure that the Summit wants them. They are a hot mess with all kinds of financial problems. Denver hasn't gotten invitations from the WCC yet. If I was WIU I'd jump at the chance to go OVC because of football. But they have a load of money problems just like all the Illinois schools. If I'm Ft Worth I'd cut down on travel and go Horizon like IUPUI did. But none of them can do anything if they don't get an invite.

Comment

4life hit it on the head- it isn't the fan base that will be voting on this- it is the administrators. That is what I'm trying to figure out- who votes how and why do they do so. I thought I heard 7 of 9 yes votes were necessary but someone else could confirm that. Anyone who has taken Sanford money is unlikely to vote against this.

Kansas City would come back if asked. But I'm not so sure that the Summit wants them. They are a hot mess with all kinds of financial problems. Denver hasn't gotten invitations from the WCC yet. If I was WIU I'd jump at the chance to go OVC because of football. But they have a load of money problems just like all the Illinois schools. If I'm Ft Worth I'd cut down on travel and go Horizon like IUPUI did. But none of them can do anything if they don't get an invite.
                        Like I said, I just don't understand where all of the "What if they all bail on us?" talk comes from if these supposedly flighty schools have yet to receive any sort of invites or, again, even strong rumors of an invite.

Comment

I don't remember where the article I read this summer was from, but I was shocked at the turnover of the Summit League. It seems that the conference has been on life support for most of its existence and has been used as the D-1 transition conference for a lot of schools until they get a better invitation. If anything the Dakota schools and the Sioux Falls market have seemingly given it a little stability, but if the Missouri Valley conference opted to make them full members I'm guessing they'd jump at the opportunity.

Comment

For my friends in the Sioux Falls market, Chad is on 1230 AM KWSN right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Thunder View Post
                              I don't remember where the article I read this summer was from, but I was shocked at the turnover of the Summit League. It seems that the conference has been on life support for most of its existence and has been used as the D-1 transition conference for a lot of schools until they get a better invitation. If anything the Dakota schools and the Sioux Falls market have seemingly given it a little stability, but if the Missouri Valley conference opted to make them full members I'm guessing they'd jump at the opportunity.
                              I've long thought a merger of the MVC, Summit and MVFC would be neat to see. There are some on the edges who maybe wouldn't like it, but I think it would strengthen the conferences.

Comment

I see a lot of these types of conversations on some of the local D1 boards from anti-Augie posters. To be clear, I'm not saying you fall into that category, laker, but that several anti-Augie Summit League fans are posting sentiments like this and making bold claims like, "If we add Augie, WIU, Denver, etc. are all going to bolt and screw us over!"

Here's my question: How are they going to do that? If Denver had the ability to get out of the Summit and go to a "better" conference for them, why aren't they doing it or why haven't they done it yet? If Fort Wayne wants to leave because Augie gets added but the Horizon never decides to invite them (because guess what, they really aren't that good anyway, in several sports), then what other option do they have besides saying, "Man, that's a bummer that Augie got added."?

All of these anti-Augie fans keep saying everyone will leave, but everywhere they "could" leave for is based entirely on major, major what-ifs and speculation rather than any reasonable conversation or even semi-legitimate rumors.

I just think it's interesting/entertaining. If I were a Summit League fan, I'd be concerned if Denver had already turned down an invite to the WCC once or twice but suddenly would reconsider it upon Augie's addition. But the truth is, if the WCC ever decides it wants Denver, Denver is probably going to bounce whether Augie has joined the Summit or not.

Then again, I'm not an expert in conference switcharoos, so, as always, there's a pretty good chance I just sound like an uninformed idiot. But hey, that's what message boards are for, right?

The funniest thing is they should be one of the least concerned programs. Augie will never compete with them in football unless Augie does someday go full-scholarship (not seeing that happening anytime soon), none of them care about or support their horrendous, horrendous women's basketball team, and I doubt Augie would compete with them in track and field for years to come, seeing as few Summit League schools compete with them in track and field now. I don't know about baseball and softball, but it seems men's basketball would be one of the few sports Augie would potentially give them a challenge in down the road when it gets to that point. And if they're that anti-Augie just because of men's basketball competition, that's a weird little world they live in up there. Especially when they have the best head start of the four Dakota schools, the only Summit League win in the men's tourney, and substantially better budget and facilities for winning in basketball.
                                I dont think it is a concern thing. They have literally talked on air and in the public about how it wouldnt be good to join the MAC in FBS because they are too good. Again, most revolves around football, so people just see football and say we are too good, bring on the BigTen! Haha

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X