Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Note that loooooooonnngggggg layoff from Dec 10th to Jan 8th. I heard that they might be able to schedule an "exhibition" game during that time so that players don't lose their tone. Probably a D3 or NAIA opponent if they allow it.

Comment

• Originally posted by laker View Post
      Note that loooooooonnngggggg layoff from Dec 10th to Jan 8th. I heard that they might be able to schedule an "exhibition" game during that time so that players don't lose their tone. Probably a D3 or NAIA opponent if they allow it.
      Long layoff, but probably nice to allow student athletes to focus on finals. Exhibitions would be good on other side of Christmas break

NOTE: That last game before the break isn't set in stone and could be anywhere from the 10th to the 20th.
      Last edited by Stanger86; 06-26-2020, 06:15 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blue Ridge Viking View Post
        With today's news out of Marshall, Augie now has lost out on all three recruiting targets for the class of 2021, at least those tracked by the Verbal Commits website:
        • Paul Bruns, the PG from Dakota Valley High School who committed to North Dakota.
        • Jake Layman, the PF from Sergeant Bluff-Luton Senior High School in Iowa who committed to Southwest Minnesota State.
        • Will Tschetter, the stud PF from Stewartsville High School in Minnesota who has moved way beyond Augie's grasp and is receiving a passel of P5 offers, including one from a school about 30 miles from my house, Virginia Tech.
        I'm sure the coaching staff has backup plans, but I do wonder how much the DI talk has affected recruiting, if at all.
        Worth noting that Verbal Commits doesn't have all offers SMSU has handed out, so it could be the same for Augie.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blue Ridge Viking View Post
          With today's news out of Marshall, Augie now has lost out on all three recruiting targets for the class of 2021, at least those tracked by the Verbal Commits website:
          • Paul Bruns, the PG from Dakota Valley High School who committed to North Dakota.
          • Jake Layman, the PF from Sergeant Bluff-Luton Senior High School in Iowa who committed to Southwest Minnesota State.
          • Will Tschetter, the stud PF from Stewartsville High School in Minnesota who has moved way beyond Augie's grasp and is receiving a passel of P5 offers, including one from a school about 30 miles from my house, Virginia Tech.
          I'm sure the coaching staff has backup plans, but I do wonder how much the DI talk has affected recruiting, if at all.
          With Tschetter having a semi-meteoric rise and probably being on a path to be out of reach from almost the beginning, I think Bruns is the biggest bummer so far. I think he would've been realllly good at Augie. And still should be good at UND, but I think he would've shined from day 1 at Augie and he may spend a few more years on the bench or not getting as many minutes at UND as he would have here for the first couple of years.

While I've mentioned it before, this whole D1 rejection has me wondering if AJ Plitzuweit would've left had he known we weren't going to get in with the Summit. In a way, I almost consider him a weird version of a "lost recruit" as a result of the D2-to-D1 transition attempt. I know I need to get over him, but it's just really disappointing the way that played out.

Bottom line, I think it's safe to assume the uncertainty of the D1 stuff probably has had at least a few recruits on the fence. On the plus side, I'm hoping now that things might be a little more settled, the coaching staff will get into a groove with recruits and get us back on track. I can only handle Northern being at the top of the conference for another year or so before I start to lose my mind. And heaven forbid if the Warriors actually climb back to the top of the standings and some of our gone-but-not-forgotten Warrior fans come back out of the woodwork on here...

Comment

• Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post
            And heaven forbid if the Warriors actually climb back to the top of the standings and some of our gone-but-not-forgotten Warrior fans come back out of the woodwork on here...
            I'm not sure we'll have to worry about that for a while.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post

Comment

• Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post

That's true, we do have five months until it happens

Comment

• I don't really have anything new. I was just getting annoyed that the Northern State thread was always at the top of the page every time I jumped on.

Comment

• St. Thomas officially joining summit league in 2021.

Comment

• Originally posted by Moorhead123 View Post
                      St. Thomas officially joining summit league in 2021.
                      Well. That sucks. Suppose that shuts the door for at least a few years on Augie.

Comment

Well. That sucks. Suppose that shuts the door for at least a few years on Augie.
                        Never have understood why you want that so bad . Do you enjoy getting beat like a rented mule?

Comment

• Originally posted by DapperDan View Post

Never have understood why you want that so bad . Do you enjoy getting beat like a rented mule?
                          Lol, we have been over this. Augie would be competitive in nearly every sport and a handful would actually be Summit Leagues Champs immediately.

UST is going to have a rough start at the least.

Comment

• Originally posted by DapperDan View Post

There are a number of reasons. Primarily, I don't think we would be beaten as badly as you and fans of Summit League schools seem to think we will. We have invested significantly more money in athletics than we ever did back before all of those other North Central Conference schools started going Division I. So I highly doubt we would be going back to the same level of mediocrity (or worse) we were struggling with back then. Also, prior to St. Thomas joining the league, I think we had a number of advantages over some of the state schools when it comes to recruiting. A small, private, Christian, liberal arts school in a decent-sized city is a different opportunity compared to most of the large state schools in the conference, or having to go as far as Oral Roberts for a private education and playing in the Summit League.

I also think Coach Billeter's D1 experience as an assistant would have been pretty useful in weathering the transition and possibly even winning a few games along the way, and several of our other Summit League sports (Softball, Baseball, etc.) are or have been competing at a very high level in recent history and would have the potential to be competitive fairly quickly. And, as I've said on here more than once, I'm not a huge football guy personally, so if they had to jump into the Pioneer League, that wouldn't be the end of the world as far as I'm concerned.

In general, I think the scoffers who are insistent that we would fail as far as the competition goes are only focused on the Augie from 15 to 20 years ago. We are definitely a different program now athletically in pretty much every sport, and I don't think we are quite as likely to fail in the ways that we did back then, especially with a president who has unquestionably declared her desire to see us successful at the D1 level, compared to presidents during those earlier 90s and early 2000s eras who were much more focused on cutting back budgets and saving money.

There are other reasons I want to see us make the jump too, but I don't want to be too negative about the fact that we are staying Division II, because I think we will continue to find success in D2 as an overall athletic program, but the reasons above are some of my main reasons that I don't necessarily think we would get our teeth kicked in if we actually made the jump.

Comment

• Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post

Lol, we have been over this. Augie would be competitive in nearly every sport and a handful would actually be Summit Leagues Champs immediately.

UST is going to have a rough start at the least.
                              To be clear, I'm not one of those people that has ever said we would be champs immediately in any sport (if that's a shot at me), just that I think we would be more competitive than we would have been 20 years ago, which is the version of Augie that most of the anti-Augie crowd fixates on.

Comment

To be clear, I'm not one of those people that has ever said we would be champs immediately in any sport (if that's a shot at me), just that I think we would be more competitive than we would have been 20 years ago, which is the version of Augie that most of the anti-Augie crowd fixates on.
                                It wasn't a shot, it was me stating a fact, actually. Sheesh...ungrateful, son of a...

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X