Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The NEW Official Thread of the Augustana Vikings

Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post
    That is almost six months old. I still have unfortunate optimism.
    Just want us out of the NSIC/Division II?

Comment

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post
      4LIFE misread the post- he thought that they might move to D3............

Comment

I said "unfortunate optimism" Heck no I don't want you guys to go. Though you all don't see it as a rivalry, it's the closest thing NSU fans feel they have to one. I want it to keep growing. I just feel like if the city of Sioux falls gets their way, which they always seem to do, the will get enough interest in that city and area to bring the title of D1 school to town. I don't think it's best for the school, but we've seen how SF continues to add and build and grow at an insane rate. It's one more thing they don't have that they may/may not want. Just my view of it is all.

Comment

Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post
          I said "unfortunate optimism" Heck no I don't want you guys to go. Though you all don't see it as a rivalry, it's the closest thing NSU fans feel they have to one. I want it to keep growing. I just feel like if the city of Sioux falls gets their way, which they always seem to do, the will get enough interest in that city and area to bring the title of D1 school to town. I don't think it's best for the school, but we've seen how SF continues to add and build and grow at an insane rate. It's one more thing they don't have that they may/may not want. Just my view of it is all.
          On my behalf, I've thought of NSU, MSU, and USF as our 3 rivals. Do you not see USF as a rival or don't you dislike then enough for that viewpoint?

Comment

Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post
            On my behalf, I've thought of NSU, MSU, and USF as our 3 rivals. Do you not see USF as a rival or don't you dislike then enough for that viewpoint?
            If anyone else maybe SMSU, idk who else. I dont know anyone that thinks of USF as one. I don't really know how rivalries form, but for quite some time now, the vibe has always been Augie. Before my time i know it was big with Duluth. During my time at NSU it was Winona. I think because it is two very supportive fan bases and the crowd size and the tight, meaningful matchups, being in state, probably to some extent because you get that Sioux Falls vs
            Aberdeen tension (though that doesn't apply to all or even necessarily the majority). I can't tell you why, but for here and now, it seems you are the lucky ones.

Comment

Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post
              I've long thought of Augustana as a rivalry for MSU both in football but more so in basketball. I've seen it carry over in some other sports like softball. So far USF only in football.

Comment

Friend of the Region Lincoln Memorial had the top play on SportsCenter this AM. Emmanuel Terry out here ending people's lives.....

https://twitter.com/LMURailsplitter/...67541893537792

Comment

Dream scenario:

(Well, obviously my dream scenario is that Northern loses 2-3 games and Northwest hosts. I know I'm alone on an island when it comes to this issue, but I don't care. I don't want non-Augie NSIC teams to succeed, especially ones the Vikes recruit against, especially as the high school talent continues to get better in this immediate area.)

That being said, on to my secondary dream scenario, which is just starting to form in my mind, so it's likely flawed:

1) Northern continues winning (but loses at least one conference game so they don't take Augie's best single season conference record of 21-1) and Northwest Missouri State loses 1-2 more, thus creating a situation where the Wolves are likely to host the Regional.

2) The Vikes continue to grow, learn, gel, etc. and start playing some of their best basketball of the year as conference play winds down.

3) In the NSIC Tournament, the Wolves get picked off unexpectedly in an early round by a non-Augie team.

4) Meanwhile, the Vikes, now in full "we're playing like a team and we know we can win this thing" mode, go on a tear through the NSIC Tourney and earn themselves the 8-seed in the Regional, much to some MIAA fans' disappointment, as it pushes out an MIAA team that was on the bubble (sorry MIAA fans).

5) The Wolves, having been picked off by a non-Augie team in the Tourney (let's say...the Beavers of Bemidji State for the fun of it), aren't looking for revenge against the Vikes like they would be if the Vikes were the ones who had to pick them off in the NSIC Tourney.

6) The Wolves are awarded the top seed in the Regional, and NSU4LIFE's greatest dream comes true. The Barnett Center is packed with Aberdeenianites with nothing else to do that weekend, ready to watch the Wolves live up to the hype they've built all year.

7) In the first round, the Wolves come out flat, and the Vikes come out boiling lava hot. Jordan Spencer goes for 25 points and 13 assists, Matt Cartwright hits 7 threes on his way to 28 points, John Warren stifles any Wolf he's put on, and Doyle and Evans are no match for the tenacity and stick-to-it-iveness of Marcus Asmus. Somehow Bodey Behrends comes in and contains Mount Evans, with his gangly limbs thwarting Evans's muscle on every pivot and baby hook in the post. It's madness in Wachs as the Vikes look like they should be the ones hosting the Regional.

8) Wolves fans, in a state of shock and disarray, make their way toward the exits in stunned silence. Final score: Augustana - 88, Northern State - 64.

9) Miraculously, MOSO is allowed into the Regional on a technicality as the 7-seed and THEY pick off the Bearcats of Northwest Missouri State in the first round as well.

10) Will both the Wolves and the Bearcats out of the picture, the Vikes go on to win the Regional and enjoy an Elite Eight berth on a shockingly neutral home floor in Sioux Falls. Then they probably get their faces stomped in by Lincoln Memorial, but whatever. I'll still be celebrating that Round 1 win against the Wolves in Aberdeen anyway, so it won't matter.

Like I said, it's a dream scenario. But after seeing the Minneapolis Miracle last weekend, I do have a bit more hope. Minus the MOSO appearance in the Regional. Not sure I see that happening unless they also win their conference tourney, which I suppose isn't 100% out of the question either.

Comment

Dream scenario:

(Well, obviously my dream scenario is that Northern loses 2-3 games and Northwest hosts. I know I'm alone on an island when it comes to this issue, but I don't care. I don't want non-Augie NSIC teams to succeed, especially ones the Vikes recruit against, especially as the high school talent continues to get better in this immediate area.)

That being said, on to my secondary dream scenario, which is just starting to form in my mind, so it's likely flawed:

1) Northern continues winning (but loses at least one conference game so they don't take Augie's best single season conference record of 21-1) and Northwest Missouri State loses 1-2 more, thus creating a situation where the Wolves are likely to host the Regional.

2) The Vikes continue to grow, learn, gel, etc. and start playing some of their best basketball of the year as conference play winds down.

3) In the NSIC Tournament, the Wolves get picked off unexpectedly in an early round by a non-Augie team.

4) Meanwhile, the Vikes, now in full "we're playing like a team and we know we can win this thing" mode, go on a tear through the NSIC Tourney and earn themselves the 8-seed in the Regional, much to some MIAA fans' disappointment, as it pushes out an MIAA team that was on the bubble (sorry MIAA fans).

5) The Wolves, having been picked off by a non-Augie team in the Tourney (let's say...the Beavers of Bemidji State for the fun of it), aren't looking for revenge against the Vikes like they would be if the Vikes were the ones who had to pick them off in the NSIC Tourney.

6) The Wolves are awarded the top seed in the Regional, and NSU4LIFE's greatest dream comes true. The Barnett Center is packed with Aberdeenianites with nothing else to do that weekend, ready to watch the Wolves live up to the hype they've built all year.

7) In the first round, the Wolves come out flat, and the Vikes come out boiling lava hot. Jordan Spencer goes for 25 points and 13 assists, Matt Cartwright hits 7 threes on his way to 28 points, John Warren stifles any Wolf he's put on, and Doyle and Evans are no match for the tenacity and stick-to-it-iveness of Marcus Asmus. Somehow Bodey Behrends comes in and contains Mount Evans, with his gangly limbs thwarting Evans's muscle on every pivot and baby hook in the post. It's madness in Wachs as the Vikes look like they should be the ones hosting the Regional.

8) Wolves fans, in a state of shock and disarray, make their way toward the exits in stunned silence. Final score: Augustana - 88, Northern State - 64.

9) Miraculously, MOSO is allowed into the Regional on a technicality as the 7-seed and THEY pick off the Bearcats of Northwest Missouri State in the first round as well.

10) Will both the Wolves and the Bearcats out of the picture, the Vikes go on to win the Regional and enjoy an Elite Eight berth on a shockingly neutral home floor in Sioux Falls. Then they probably get their faces stomped in by Lincoln Memorial, but whatever. I'll still be celebrating that Round 1 win against the Wolves in Aberdeen anyway, so it won't matter.

Like I said, it's a dream scenario. But after seeing the Minneapolis Miracle last weekend, I do have a bit more hope. Minus the MOSO appearance in the Regional. Not sure I see that happening unless they also win their conference tourney, which I suppose isn't 100% out of the question either.
                    Kind of reminds me of the recent Newsweek story laying out how Hillary can still become President.

Comment

Originally posted by DapperDan View Post
                      Kind of reminds me of the recent Newsweek story laying out how Hillary can still become President.
                      HAHAHA

Comment

Originally posted by DapperDan View Post
                        I prefer my dream scenario.

Comment

Dream scenario:

MOSO in the regional? I'm on board with your dream scenario!!!

Comment

Me too

Comment

My wildest dreams have nothing to do with basketball..............

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post
                                My wildest dreams have nothing to do with basketball..............
                                Donna Reed?

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X