Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Northern State Wolves 2019-2020

Originally posted by Moorhead123 View Post
    He should have just sent out a tweet...nsu4life convinced me a few months back that he is an expert tweeter and only has the purest of intentions when he tweets... ;)
    He only offends soft people apparently. Thanks for staying involved in Wolves athletics by the way, fun to follow the excitement.

Comment

Originally posted by Augieholic View Post
      How is Paul SaTTher supposed to break the news to his now former players besides a text? School is out so at least a handful of them are not in Aberdeen, if he decides to call them the first player he calls more than likely texts the rest of the team "OMG coach ghosted us" before hes even off the phone with Pawwwll and then everyone else realizes "dang, coach called Gus first, I always knew his Dad paid to get him on the team" so before SaTTher gets the majority of them on the phone it's old news.
      This is the correct answer. Teams usually have a group text going. Best way to communicate to everyone at once.

Comment

I guess I don't remember members of our basketball team leaving for the summer but I could be wrong. Most if not all had a place in town, got summer jobs and worked out.

Comment

Just wrote and edited this over the past 2+ hours then lost it.......

I don't hold Paul responsible for it, but timing couldn't be much worse. Thought he could have had his shot at some jobs last year (maybe didn't go because the Sundance announcement came out so quick). Based on his decision to stay I figured his son would be a Roncalli graduate come 2021. Would love to see a hire related to the program. Guys out there:

Sunny: Only a year in where he is. I feel he has lofty aspirations that don't involve a long stay in Aberdeen. Doubt he comes back, but likely would have stayed a year ago (unfortunate timing)
          Smiley: We might have a shot at him. Started 3 years ago at Northern Colorado a $70,000. I know a certain local recruit we'd like to bring home
          Sevareid: Only 3 years removed from being the top assistant. I believe still lives in Aberdeen. Probably the most available.
          Hammer: Took his first DII head coaching job with the ThunderWolves about 6 weeks ago. Sounds like someone was missing home (unfortunate timing)
          Wieck: Another guy 1 year into a head coaching job, but who knows.
          Dewitt: I don't feel like he is there yet, but less than 2 months into a new gig.
          Parks: Name doesn't come up much, but I feel like he deserves to get some mention (again only 1 year in where he is). Grad assistant for Paul and 3 years assisting Hammer in Sheridan.
          Miles: Unemployed, enjoys drinking Coors Light. Would be awesome, but never happening

Hoping for Smiley, but would be happy with anyone not named Dewitt, maybe content would be a better word for Sevareid.

Comment

Originally posted by ddwitte View Post
            Just wrote and edited this over the past 2+ hours then lost it.......

I don't hold Paul responsible for it, but timing couldn't be much worse. Thought he could have had his shot at some jobs last year (maybe didn't go because the Sundance announcement came out so quick). Based on his decision to stay I figured his son would be a Roncalli graduate come 2021. Would love to see a hire related to the program. Guys out there:

Sunny: Only a year in where he is. I feel he has lofty aspirations that don't involve a long stay in Aberdeen. Doubt he comes back, but likely would have stayed a year ago (unfortunate timing)
            Smiley: We might have a shot at him. Started 3 years ago at Northern Colorado a $70,000. I know a certain local recruit we'd like to bring home
            Sevareid: Only 3 years removed from being the top assistant. I believe still lives in Aberdeen. Probably the most available.
            Hammer: Took his first DII head coaching job with the ThunderWolves about 6 weeks ago. Sounds like someone was missing home (unfortunate timing)
            Wieck: Another guy 1 year into a head coaching job, but who knows.
            Dewitt: I don't feel like he is there yet, but less than 2 months into a new gig.
            Parks: Name doesn't come up much, but I feel like he deserves to get some mention (again only 1 year in where he is). Grad assistant for Paul and 3 years assisting Hammer in Sheridan.
            Miles: Unemployed, enjoys drinking Coors Light. Would be awesome, but never happening

Hoping for Smiley, but would be happy with anyone not named Dewitt, maybe content would be a better word for Sevareid.
            Been meaning to make the same type of list. Certainly there are others out there but I cant see any that are very realistic based on timing, as you brought up.

I did think of Parks before, so glad you mentioned it. Smiley should be great but tough to get him or any of our others away from being a D1 assistant.

While I just dont feel it is going to be someone with strong ties to the program, it got me thinking. Would BC finally feel ready or want to finally be a head coach? I'm not sure if he volunteers or if he is paid out of a booster program or what but never been listed on payroll.

I'm happy to see all recruits listed on the school website still, but I'm not entirely sure that is the case.

Comment

I wonder if there'd be interest in guys with more regional ties than direct Northern ties.

The guy at DWU has built up a pretty nice program. What about some D1 guys? Would Jayden Olsen leave NDSU? Anyone at SDSU or USD?

Comment

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
                I wonder if there'd be interest in guys with more regional ties than direct Northern ties.

The guy at DWU has built up a pretty nice program. What about some D1 guys? Would Jayden Olsen leave NDSU? Anyone at SDSU or USD?
                Maybe a certain Western Texas staff wants to come back to the conference on a Wyatt Erp type vengeance, lol

Comment

Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post
                  I don't get it...
                  If you are not on Twitter you won't. I would never want to see him at Northern he would ruin the program in a heart beat.

Comment

Sather was a great hire and a great coach. Totally understood what Aberdeen was about and what being a Wolf was about and what those fans like and want.

It will be interesting to see if they go outside the Northern family if they get that .

Northern was and remains a great job with a solid arena and fan base, good finances and administration that supports athletics. Their president obviously gets the need to make it a huge priority. I wish SMSU had a president like that!

They will make a great hire, unfortunately!!

Comment

Sather is a helluva good guy btw. Good dude, classy , good coach.

Comment

Here's an interesting name: https://twitter.com/FGOSPORTSWRITER/...18128332464129

Comment

Well, I text that name to NSUguy as a prediction...unfortunately I didnt post it here. Damn
                          Last edited by NSU4LIFE; 06-05-2019, 11:41 AM.

Comment

I can't think of many things that would give simple more joy than this scenario.

Comment

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post
                              I can't think of many things that would give simple more joy than this scenario.
                              I need a back story...

Comment

Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post
                                I need a back story...
                                Saul Phillips is a former Division I men's basketball coach who achieved significant success by low mid-major standards and then took a higher level job and was unsuccessful by genuinely mid-major standards. So having to go from a medium-level D1 job to a D2 job would probably give simple an entire game's worth of ammo when it comes to things he can shout at an opposing coach. I would assume.

Then again, maybe simple has changed his ways unexpectedly and would be friendly and supportive toward an opposing coach with that history.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X