Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DapperDan View Post

If you are looking for hope I suggest you hope for a regime change.
    That Duluth win and the Aggie wins will keep Schoh from looking and Eisner doesn’t have the voice to last through an interview with another school. But, there is always hope—maybe Luther College is needing a new coach!?!

That said, it was hard to see Owen King on crutches—would have been different with his effort.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mark Emmert's Burner View Post
      The only bit I'm iffy on is how "Head to Head vs descending divisional opponents" works. That might be the only way Minot State misses out if they lose & UMary & St. Cloud wins and St. Cloud has that tiebreaker over them.
      This starts with Northern and Minot somehow beat the Wolves by 20 earlier this year so they would be in. I believe if everything goes as expected tomorrow Mary will be out. Minot will be 5, SCSU will be 6.

Comment

• Originally posted by simple as a $3 bill View Post

Wieck made this statement while he was talking about his teams record to a person who really doesn't care about the standings or game results. "it's been a tough year, everybody treats us as their Super Bowl, and feels thta their season is complete if they defeat us."

Then last night Boschee made a declaration to the same person that "he's(Sutherland) the best player in the league and we need him in order to make a post-season run." hahahaha Just slightly exaggerating his assessment of his abilities.
        These are interesting quotes. I believe NSU gets everyone’s best shot. Not only is Northern a great program, but games in Wachs Arena are the biggest crowd most of these teams will play in front of every year. Athletes always love the chance to quiet a big crowd. UMD was expected to be really good this year and they underachieved.

Sutherland is good. He’s not the best in the league. Masten is. Moni might be #2.

Comment

• Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post

By my count, the same as Northern in the past 20 years. Which is longer than Augie has been an NSIC member.

Obviously Northern will jump them after tomorrow, but I'm confident in our chances to even it back up sooner than later.

The website for the conference history was what I was using. Augie is at three. Northern now at 14.

NSU has won four of the last five which is more than three.

Impressive history for St. Cloud to be tied for 2nd without winning one in almost 50 years, or since Simple was last on the roster.

REGULAR SEASON TEAM TITLES WON OR SHARED School No. Last Title
          Minnesota State 17 2013-14
          Minnesota Duluth 16 2001-02
          St. Cloud State 16 1975-76
          Winona State 14 2007-08
          Northern State 13 2019-20
          Bemidji State 9 2011-12
          MSU Moorhead 6 2016-17
          Augustana 3 2021-22
          Minnesota-Morris 3 1993-94
          Southwest Minnesota State 2 2008-09
          Michigan Tech 2 1979-80
          Wayne State 1 1999-00

Comment

• Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post

The website for the conference history was what I was using. Augie is at three. Northern now at 14.

NSU has won four of the last five which is more than three.

Impressive history for St. Cloud to be tied for 2nd without winning one in almost 50 years, or since Simple was last on the roster.

REGULAR SEASON TEAM TITLES WON OR SHARED School No. Last Title
            Minnesota State 17 2013-14
            Minnesota Duluth 16 2001-02
            St. Cloud State 16 1975-76
            Winona State 14 2007-08
            Northern State 13 2019-20
            Bemidji State 9 2011-12
            MSU Moorhead 6 2016-17
            Augustana 3 2021-22
            Minnesota-Morris 3 1993-94
            Southwest Minnesota State 2 2008-09
            Michigan Tech 2 1979-80
            Wayne State 1 1999-00
            I just used what the NSIC Record Book had for the year-by-year and went back 20 years (again, with Augie only having been in the NSIC since 2008). But now that you mention it, they have a typo in the record book with the past couple of years. Below is how it's listed in the book.

2003-04 Bemidji State
            2004-05 Winona State
            2005-06 Winona State
            2006-07 Winona State
            2007-08 Winona State
            2008-09 SMSU
            2009-10 Minnesota State
            2010-11 Minnesota State
            2011-12 Bemidji State
            2012-13 Minnesota State
            2013-14 Minnesota State
            2014-15 Augustana MSU Moorhead
            2015-16 Augustana
            2016-17 MSU Moorhead
            2017-18 Northern State
            2018-19 Northern State
            2019-20 Northern State
            2019-20 No Overall Champ
            2020-21 Augustana

Does NSU get credit for the 20-21 year (since Augie's should obviously be for 2021-22)?

Regardless, since Augie has actually been in the NSIC, the numbers are a lot tighter between the Vikings and the Wolves, which was my main point.

Comment

• Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post

I just used what the NSIC Record Book had for the year-by-year and went back 20 years (again, with Augie only having been in the NSIC since 2008). But now that you mention it, they have a typo in the record book with the past couple of years. Below is how it's listed in the book.

2003-04 Bemidji State
              2004-05 Winona State
              2005-06 Winona State
              2006-07 Winona State
              2007-08 Winona State
              2008-09 SMSU
              2009-10 Minnesota State
              2010-11 Minnesota State
              2011-12 Bemidji State
              2012-13 Minnesota State
              2013-14 Minnesota State
              2014-15 Augustana MSU Moorhead
              2015-16 Augustana
              2016-17 MSU Moorhead
              2017-18 Northern State
              2018-19 Northern State
              2019-20 Northern State
              2019-20 No Overall Champ
              2020-21 Augustana

Does NSU get credit for the 20-21 year (since Augie's should obviously be for 2021-22)?

Regardless, since Augie has actually been in the NSIC, the numbers are a lot tighter between the Vikings and the Wolves, which was my main point.
              I understand that. I figured by comparing Augie to Morris and then mentioning a national title would make it a fairly sarcastic post but it appears it missed.

Comment

• Originally posted by War Eyore View Post

That Duluth win and the Aggie wins will keep Schoh from looking and Eisner doesn’t have the voice to last through an interview with another school. But, there is always hope—maybe Luther College is needing a new coach!?!

That said, it was hard to see Owen King on crutches—would have been different with his effort.
                King is steady and reliable but not nearly as impacting as I was expecting when he transferred in. I hold no animus toward Owen but, frankly, I think James Kelly is an improvement.

Comment

• Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post

I understand that. I figured by comparing Augie to Morris and then mentioning a national title would make it a fairly sarcastic post but it appears it missed.
                  Yeah, I was more just curious in general after you brought it up. Also, I figured your national title part was sarcastic, but took your Augie/Morris part as being more sincere. My bad for the misinterpretation.

Comment

• Coach, as we would say in St. Cloud, that first half BSU offense vs Duluth was very Sam Skarich(RIP) like. What in the heck happened?

Comment

• Winona vs Concordia...a game that means a whole lot of nothin

Comment

• Matt Cartwright has his right arm in a sling and not warming. That's something

Comment

• Originally posted by Augieholic View Post
                          Matt Cartwright has his right arm in a sling and not warming. That's something
                          He didn't look like his normal self at Wayne on Thursday, and played limited 2nd half minutes.

Janssen in a walking boot at Marshall today. He missed the 2nd half vs USF on Thursday and apparently its bad enough that he is out today as well. Big losses for both squads.

Comment

• Originally posted by simple as a $3 bill View Post
                            Coach, as we would say in St. Cloud, that first half BSU offense vs Duluth was very Sam Skarich(RIP) like. What in the heck happened?
                            Disclaimer: I had a previous commitment and could not watch the BSU-UMD game today (lucky me), and I will try to comment on Simple's remark based solely on my memory of events 43 years ago. Anyway, here goes starting with Sam...

Sam Skarich-like: For readers unfamiliar with Coach Skarich, Sam entered the NIC in 1981, the same year Pierre and I did. I didn't know him very well, especially since SCSU left the NIC for the NCC a year later. His forte was defense; one of his teams during his 3-year stint may have led NCAA D2 in defense. Although they may have played good defense, I remember that the Huskies would have a 3-2 or 2-1 fast break, then pull it out and set it up (I don't think it was a fan or player favorite style). So I suspect much of the talk of good defense was just slowing down the game.

My Beavers got pounded and early: Despite the blow-out, I would have liked to see the game live. I have more questions than answers.

BSU was down 45-11 at the half! I mean, this past week at half-time, we scored 51 against SCSU and 48 against Moorhead. We're a decent road/neutral team (7-7). But man, only 11 points in the first half.

I wonder how and why Sutherland left UMD. My uneducated guess is that he saw a brighter future for himself at BSU (but I don't know that). I suspect both the returning Bulldogs and Sutherland really wanted to play well today. What a tough day for Sutherland to return to his former gym (he is normally a 59% FG shooter) went 1-8 from the field and 1-6 from the line. Hmmm...

My other favorite BSU player is Kone. Normally, he is a 47% FG shooter and went 3-15. The other three starters didn't help much, either. They went a combined 7-24 (29%).

It doesn't appear to be a slow-down style (the Skarich factor) that led to our demise (we did outscore UMD 13-9 in fast break points). But regardless, it was a butt-kickin'.

Comment

• Beavers host the Vikings on Wednesday. https://bsubeavers.com/news/2023/2/1...wednesday.aspx

Comment

• What a regular season for UIU. I wouldn't have predicted a share of the south with the losses of Smoldt and Jareese which was the bulk of the scoring last year, but here we are! Up and down season for UIU, but they really toughed it out with some injuries, some changes in line-ups and rotation, and in the end took care of the last two games when they needed it. The tournament is always a dog fight and honestly most any team that made it in could get hot and win it. Glad for a first round bye, but we'll need to play with the same intensity we had the last few games for the entire game. Biggest thing I saw this year is in many games we'd get down big and really struggle to get back in. I do think we need to talk about Hilmer as POY...leading the conference in scoring, near top in assists, and logs the most minutes of anyone in the league. Has 2 games over 40 and was the undisputed leader of the team, was unstoppable in a few games and lead us to a share of the south title. Duax also had a great year, he really picked up the slack along with Nick Reid in scoring. Hope we can make a run in tournament and win it, probably only chance to make the region, probably same for all in the south given how we beat up on each other.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X