Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Northern has looked good tonight for the most part. I will be very interested to hear what CoachSalscheider has to say about how the Wolves play and how they looked tonight.

Comment

• Wolves take care of business and win 85-63.

Comment

• Augustana avenges early season loss to CSP with an easy 86-59 win. Vikings 4 freshmen have grown immensely over the course of the season.

Comment

• Originally posted by Thunder View Post

I think we are getting very close to being able to add another year to the list of NSIC championships.
          Next Saturday night at the earliest

Comment

• Nice win Stangs, nice game Phipps!

Comment

• Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post

Next Saturday night at the earliest
              Hang the banner.

Comment

• Northern has looked good tonight for the most part. I will be very interested to hear what CoachSalscheider has to say about how the Wolves play and how they looked tonight.

Well...since you asked...

NSU is the best team I have seen so far this year. They have size, deceptively quick and fast on the perimeter (if they get to the national tourney, their guards will hold their own in that regard). BSU's Kone is an excellent defender, yet got blown by a couple times by Masten. These same guys are shooting over 40% from the 3-point line, minimum 91 shots. Their quick 3s are bothersome, but I'd give them the green light too if they shoot that well for the year. On the other hand, BSU was never in foul trouble and part of that was the basket was rarely attacked. I know NSU shot well (53%), but really, only 4 offensive rebounds in the entire game? Belka is highly skilled, excellent shooter and works at it defensively, but perhaps vulnerable to fatigue. After hitting his first two 3-pointers, his game seemed to slow down.

Over-all, NSU is a solid defensive club. They guarded the perimeter AND dug down nicely when the ball got to the block (that's the real challenge in basketball to be able to do both simultaneously). NSU had their most problems guarding the elbow flash and drive. Yes, BSU's Sutherland went 12-19 (27 pts), but forced him into 6 turnovers. It looks like NSU's bench is slim (5 starters with at least 32 minutes tonight). BSU's problem is worse. That may limit both teams tournament time. Offensively, most college teams pass and drift, rather than pass and sprint (which makes ball reversals so much faster getting the inside defenders out of position). On several occasions, NSU had great ball reversal and their second cutters were open for lay-ups.

This probably is not worth noting and for most readers, "who cares", but sitting in the stands, I got ticked off. BSU was down 85-63 with 57 seconds left. With a 22-point lead and 17 seconds left on the shot clock, Reede took a 30'+ 3-point attempt. He missed, To me, that seemed arrogant and disrespectful IMO.

Anyway, it was a good entertaining game with both teams making solid runs. NSU had both the first (10-0) and the last (22-12) and a couple more in-between. Congrats Coach Phillips and Wolves. During my day, I always liked and respected the NSC coaches at the time (Bob Wachs and Bob Olson). Looks like the Wolves continue to be in good hands.

Comment

Hang the banner.
                  Alright, this is on you now.

I'll never understand trying to claim things before they are reality. Like, there is nothing gained from it. But, those that are confident, celebrate on. I'll wait.

Comment

• Wayne can never get over the Mankato hump.....fall 66-67

Comment

• Excellent break down coach. I always enjoy your posts. NSU has not been able to develop the bench this year as I had hoped. They have 4 guys (Longstreet is out with a concussion) that Saul tries and he will typically give 10-15 minutes to whoever seems to be playing the best that night. Usually it is Nhial or Busch. I still think NSU takes too many threes but it was an interesting contrast tonight watching BSU fight for contested 2s and Northern launching from deep. NSU matches up well with BSU as they struggle defending the three this year.

I also thought the late 3 from Reede was strange. I actually looked it up to see if he had made one in the game and was maybe trying to keep some sort of streak alive, but he had already made one.

Comment

• Originally posted by wscsuperfan View Post
                        Wayne can never get over the Mankato hump.....fall 66-67
                        That was a tough loss. One of several this year where Wayne led late, but couldn't finish. I felt Wayne outplayed Mankato in many facets of the game, but Mankato took better shots and made them. Wayne's wings had a rough shooting night, in part due to some pretty difficult attempts. On a night where the 3's clearly weren't falling I wish they had fed Janssen more.

One shout out, since many of us complain about officials. I thought last night's crew of Larson, Egge, and Harstick was the best I have seen this year. Mankato vs Wayne is a difficult assignment, as evidenced by the half dozen technical fouls assessed the first time these two teams played. This crew kept the game very much under control and it never got chippy. While I might have questioned one or two calls I recognize I am biased, and three fourths of the way through the game I thought to myself that this is absolutely the crew I would want for the NSIC championship game.

Comment

Excellent break down coach. I always enjoy your posts. NSU has not been able to develop the bench this year as I had hoped. They have 4 guys (Longstreet is out with a concussion) that Saul tries and he will typically give 10-15 minutes to whoever seems to be playing the best that night. Usually it is Nhial or Busch. I still think NSU takes too many threes but it was an interesting contrast tonight watching BSU fight for contested 2s and Northern launching from deep. NSU matches up well with BSU as they struggle defending the three this year.

I also thought the late 3 from Reede was strange. I actually looked it up to see if he had made one in the game and was maybe trying to keep some sort of streak alive, but he had already made one.
                          It almost looked like Reede was chuckling with the defender after that unnecessary three. It seemed like the defender maybe challenged him to do it and he just said what the heck. Regardless, it was a poor decision to take that shot at that point of the game.

Comment

• Originally posted by NSUguy View Post

It almost looked like Reede was chuckling with the defender after that unnecessary three. It seemed like the defender maybe challenged him to do it and he just said what the heck. Regardless, it was a poor decision to take that shot at that point of the game.
                            Although I was still glued to the game, I may not have had all the information necessary to come to my "not-so-positive" conclusion.

Perhaps NSU can extend their playing time this afternoon at Crookston.

We (BSU) won't be as fortunate as we have another ranked opponent in Moorhead.

Comment

• Ok smart guys... with USF and Winona both winning tonight and not helping us out, what's Augie's best case scenario for next weekend (other than winning our games, obviously)?

Comment

• Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post
                                Ok smart guys... with USF and Winona both winning tonight and not helping us out, what's Augie's best case scenario for next weekend (other than winning our games, obviously)?
                                If Vikings win out. They would own the tiebreaker over MSU, UIU and SMSU. Right?

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X