Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What in the world…. Are we just bad or what?

Comment

Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post

Happy with the effort, most of the game, but if we go above .500 in conference play this season, I think I'd unfortunately be satisfied this season.

Hagen coming on was high note though.
      Bump

Comment

Originally posted by NSUguy View Post
        Is Moni struggling to adjust to his...extra responsibilities?

Comment

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post

Is Moni struggling to adjust to his...extra responsibilities?
          Lol, Moni has had a great season...the problem lies in the play of others outside of he and Dilling, and maybe Nhial

Comment

Originally posted by NSUguy View Post
            Have watched a good majority of this team and I have a feeling it’s about to take a turn for the worst with the Mankato and Winona trip on the docket.

Moni and Dilling are playing as expected, and Nhial is showing flashes, but other than that it’s just hard to watch and we can look at the lack of development for guys, but I think it’s time to start questioning if Saul Phillips is building this program the right way.

Saul’s a good coach, but his decision making when it comes to roster management really boggles me. How in the world could you lose the player of the year in Masten and Belka who’s won the most games in program history and basically replace him with a freshman who’s getting spot minutes.

Is he on the “hot seat”? Of course not. But if I’m Nate Davis, I’m keeping an eye on things….
            Last edited by Meyerball903; 01-26-2024, 01:19 PM.

Comment

Gutsy win for the Wolves. Give Dilling credit for making a play. Reede found his rhythm and Moni made enough plays late. Wayne and Augie up next. Two winnable games to help build some momentum!

Comment

Once again, didn't see tonight's action, I have seen roughly a game an a half worth or mens hoops this season.

It really tells you something about the standard/expectations of a program when I've had people reaching out asking if Saul is going to be fired for this season...

Don Meyers first season was a losing season 13-14, same for Paul Sathers first year when he was 13-14, Bob Olson's first season was back in 1985, his first year he went 10-17...so we are currently teetering on our worst season in almost 40 years, a time frame in which the Wolves have had only five losing seasons, four of five of those was only one game below .500...

I think it's quite ridiculous to think that he'll be fired. Does he just not care and want out? That's a different topic and one which I'd never know.

It is concerning how poor the recruiting has gone, or atleast how poorly some of the players have turned out.

Here is hoping that is changing, but half of our roster doesnt even belong at this level and will likely never play.

If there is an opening, I hope it aligns with Sather needing a different job...

Comment

Once again, didn't see tonight's action, I have seen roughly a game an a half worth or mens hoops this season.

It really tells you something about the standard/expectations of a program when I've had people reaching out asking if Saul is going to be fired for this season...

Don Meyers first season was a losing season 13-14, same for Paul Sathers first year when he was 13-14, Bob Olson's first season was back in 1985, his first year he went 10-17...so we are currently teetering on our worst season in almost 40 years, a time frame in which the Wolves have had only five losing seasons, four of five of those was only one game below .500...

I think it's quite ridiculous to think that he'll be fired. Does he just not care and want out? That's a different topic and one which I'd never know.

It is concerning how poor the recruiting has gone, or atleast how poorly some of the players have turned out.

Here is hoping that is changing, but half of our roster doesnt even belong at this level and will likely never play.

If there is an opening, I hope it aligns with Sather needing a different job...
                  100% agree. I think he would have to take the Walthall route and resign if there was to be a change after this year.
                  Last edited by Meyerball903; 01-16-2024, 07:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Meyerball903 View Post
                    From what I’m hearing as of now, unless a miracle occurs this season, Moni will more than likely leave and Dilling will follow…and not just those two… sounding like a worse overhaul than 20-21.
                    He's got family in Marshall....hmm

Comment

Get wrecked by Augie and now the whole program is on the verge of collapse, you hate to see it.

Comment

Originally posted by Augieholic View Post
                        Get wrecked by Augie and now the whole program is on the verge of collapse, you hate to see it.
                        Easy, Billy...you didn't start the fire

Comment

Proud of Paula and the women's squad. NSU womens athletics are having a great year. Was told our PG will use her "covid" year and be back next year, missing a solid player who had a child this season, really bright future for them. Quite a turn around. Which goes to show when to have patience with a staff and when to make a change

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Emmert's Burner View Post

#9 – Northern – 8th in OFF, 14th in DEF, 12th in margin

This is a tier placement based entirely on the belief in two players, and the assumption they can actually hit on the insane volume of 3s they’re launching on a given night. Because Northern’s got a lot of problems: they shoot poorly (11th in FG% & 3PT%), they defend shots poorly (14th in def. FG%), they don’t get to the line (14th in FTA/G), they don’t rebound well (bottom-4 in off, def, and total REB%), they don’t force TOs (12th in forced TO/G). Most of this comes from a total lack of depth. They average just 10.9 bench points/G, dead last in the NSIC. Only Crookston is close to them (11.1), every other team is around 17 to 26 per game. So of course Josh Dilling, Jacksen Moni, & Gus Reede are #3, 4, & 5 in the conference in minutes per game. It’s like Tom Thibodeau is coaching these Wolves, he can’t trust anyone else!

And so that’s what would have to happen for the Wolves to get a win in the Pentagon. Dilling & Moni just need to go off (and Reede has to at least be serviceable). We’ve seen this happen this year, as the pair are tied for 3rd in the NSIC with 20.3 points/G. And Northern shoots a crazy high number of 3s (28.9 per game, a full 2 attempts more than 2nd place in the NSIC), so if those 3 guys can hit those shots on a given night, they can make the most use of their 40 minutes a night and give NSU a chance.
                            There is a lot of truth in this. This is probably the worst Northern team since I've been around the school. And they are not a fun team to watch play. There doesn't seem to be much of a plan (offseason or in-game) and the effort is often poor.

Comment

Didn't see either game this season but just checked box scores.

Pretty impressive to destroy a basketball program overnight. This isn't even just a high expectations thing...this is just unimaginable. It isn't like having a good year and then falling off, or being a good program historically and having a down year. This is very problematic. Northern State is hoops....plain and simple it is a staple of this university. You lose that, you are going to lose a whole lot more.

Bout to have the worst season since 1985 or 1978...wild
                              Last edited by NSU4LIFE; 01-27-2024, 09:19 PM.

Comment

Didn't see either game this season but just checked box scores.

Pretty impressive to destroy a basketball program overnight. This isn't even just a high expectations thing...this is just unimaginable. It isn't like having a good year and then falling off, or being a good program historically and having a down year. This is very problematic. Northern State is hoops....plain and simple it is a staple of this university. You lose that, you are going to lose a whole lot more.

Bout to have the worst season since 1985 or 1978...wild
                                It was unrecognizable!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X