Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Purple Mav Man View Post

No sir. It’s even at this point. Haha

NW beat MSU in Mankato in 2013/2014. So MSU was the one getting even. All good now. No reason to win to even anything out on Tuesday! 🙂
    Thank you, Northwest, for obliging. 🙂

Also, thank you for providing the other half of a very entertaining, hard fought, hi intensity, gem of of a college basketball tournament game. And thank you to the fans that showed up and stood and applauded the MSU teams at halftime. Good on you. Respect to your team and fans 👍🏻

I don’t think I’ve ever been as entertained and captivated by such a low scoring game, ever. Just a huge bonus to have come out 1 point ahead.

Comment

• I’m sure he doesn’t care much about this today, but that’s a heck of an honor, especially going in at such a young age.

Comment

• Originally posted by Alfred33 View Post
        I’m sure he doesn’t care much about this today, but that’s a heck of an honor, especially going in at such a young age.

I think the question about Ben is has he coached his last game at NW?
        Missouri State surely is making the call.

Comment

• Originally posted by TigerAlum View Post

Or does only scoring 42 points make them pause?

(it shouldn't, but it could)

Comment

• I think the offer would have been even more likely to come if Jasinski had gotten the president’s job. Since he torpedoed himself out of the running, I can’t help but wonder if that lessen the odds.

Comment

• Originally posted by Alfred33 View Post
              I think the offer would have been even more likely to come if Jasinski had gotten the president’s job. Since he torpedoed himself out of the running, I can’t help but wonder if that lessen the odds.
              Question ... or would Jasinski being named the new President at Missouri State University have deterred McCollum from considering accepting the HC job down there? I don't know much of anything about all the BaHooHa surrounding Jasinski's fallout within the NW Athletic Department and with certain coaches, past and present, but possibly, maybe, who knows if NW HC McCollum had his own concerns with his relationship with Jaz.

Comment

• Originally posted by ZubCat81 View Post

Question ... or would Jasinski being named the new President at Missouri State University have deterred McCollum from considering accepting the HC job down there? I don't know much of anything about all the BaHooHa surrounding Jasinski's fallout within the NW Athletic Department and with certain coaches, past and present, but possibly, maybe, who knows if NW HC McCollum had his own concerns with his relationship with Jaz.
                I don’t know enough about it either… was just pondering out loud for discussion’s sake.

Comment

• Originally posted by NWFanatic View Post

they will really need to adapt to Mankato’s shot blocking and need to step it up from the foul line to make it to the E8 for the 7th time
                  I was afraid the late season drop off in foul shooting percentages would eventually be a factor☹️.

Comment

It'll be interesting...last year he had 2 really good offers...UNC Charlotte and IMO IF he really wants to coach Power 6 the assistant head coach offer at Texas Tech would have likely been his best path.

Not sure if people realize how much he makes at NW between what the University pays him and what the Foundation ponies up...but the pay at most of these mid-majors or low-mid majors is less than what he's making at NW...factor in the cost of living in Maryville vs. a lot of the places that have rumored to come calling...he'd likely be taking a hefty pay-cut to go to those schools. UNC Charlotte was the first one who had paid their previous coach enough to possibly sway him.

That being said...money isn't likely the only driver for him...but I have to think it is up there...plus both his sons are very successful at MHS playing hoops and other sports...as a parent, for me, it would be extremely tough to pull them out of that type of situation.

From what I've heard...I seriously doubt the Jaczinski angle would have helped MO State...likely would have been quite the opposite.

Comment

• Originally posted by libertybearcat View Post

It'll be interesting...last year he had 2 really good offers...UNC Charlotte and IMO IF he really wants to coach Power 6 the assistant head coach offer at Texas Tech would have likely been his best path.

Not sure if people realize how much he makes at NW between what the University pays him and what the Foundation ponies up...but the pay at most of these mid-majors or low-mid majors is less than what he's making at NW...factor in the cost of living in Maryville vs. a lot of the places that have rumored to come calling...he'd likely be taking a hefty pay-cut to go to those schools. UNC Charlotte was the first one who had paid their previous coach enough to possibly sway him.

That being said...money isn't likely the only driver for him...but I have to think it is up there...plus both his sons are very successful at MHS playing hoops and other sports...as a parent, for me, it would be extremely tough to pull them out of that type of situation.

From what I've heard...I seriously doubt the Jaczinski angle would have helped MO State...likely would have been quite the opposite.
                      Charlotte might be a good-sized school, but it doesn't really fit what I believe his personality to be. I just don't see him leaving the immediate region of Missouri, Iowa, Kansas, etc. I think a MVC school would fit him, and it'd be close enough for home that I think enough boosters are familiar with him to where it wouldn't be starting on rocky ground. As a coach, you don't want to be in the position of the now former Augustana women's coach, where you're looking for another job after just one year.

Comment

• I think you might be doubting how much Missouri State is paying or hearing that the NW foundation is more than doubling his salary.

Ford was getting $425k

https://www.news-leader.com/story/sp...on/7718917002/

According to this article McCollum makes $195k.

Missouri State basketball head coach search update https://www.news-leader.com/story/sp...s/72935914007/

Maybe the foundation throws another $100k at him as some articles have stated he makes around $275. That's still a big gap. Cost of loving is definitely an impact in some of those other jobs but I don't think k cost of living between Mville and Springfield are probably that much different in over $100k.

Now as has been pointed out money isn't everything.

Comment

I think you might be doubting how much Missouri State is paying or hearing that the NW foundation is more than doubling his salary.

Ford was getting $425k

https://www.news-leader.com/story/sp...on/7718917002/

According to this article McCollum makes $195k.

Missouri State basketball head coach search update https://www.news-leader.com/story/sp...s/72935914007/

Maybe the foundation throws another $100k at him as some articles have stated he makes around $275. That's still a big gap. Cost of loving is definitely an impact in some of those other jobs but I don't think k cost of living between Mville and Springfield are probably that much different in over $100k.

Now as has been pointed out money isn't everything.
                          You're in the ballpark on that assumption.

Heard today...he has said in the past the Mo State job would possibly interest him. Guess we'll see.

Comment

• I try never to get too nervous about NW HC Ben McCollum's ambitions and temptations to jump on some of the coaching opportunities that had been discussed these past couple years, but then . . . here you go! Ben is an Iowa guy ... grew up and played his high school basketball in Storm Lake, just north of Des Moines. I always knew Drake HC DeVries wasn't long to stay at Drake too long. He arrived in Des Moines to take the job after he was an assistant coach at Creighton for 17 seasons. He has been at Drake these last six seasons taking the Drake Bulldogs to four consecutive 25-win seasons. They won 28 games this year. Plus this ... his son, Tucker DeVries, was a huge heavily recruited 4-Star athlete coming out of Waukee High School. Tucker was ranked #98 as best player in the nation. Obviously, he wanted to play for his dad at Drake. Now his dad is off to West Virginia and Tucker will most certainly take his final year of eligibility with him.

As far as Northwest HC Ben McCollum goes ... now I'm nervous.

Darian DeVries Leaving Drake Men's Basketball For West Virginia Head Coaching Job

Alyssa Hertel
                            Des Moines Register

The Darian DeVries Era – one filled with growth, stabilization and success – is over at Drake.

DeVries, the Bulldogs men’s basketball coach, will depart the relatively flat lands of Des Moines for the Appalachian mountains of West Virginia, ending the tenure of one of the school’s most beloved coaches.

West Virginia confirmed DeVries' hiring on social media.

Drake also confirmed the news in a news release sent out Sunday evening.

“The litmus test for any employee that departs a place of employment is, ‘Did they leave it better than they found it?’” Drake director of athletics Brian Hardin said in the release. “It is easy to say that Darian DeVries has left our men’s basketball program and our athletics department in incredible positions thanks to his six years at Drake.

FOLLOW THE MADNESS: NCAA tournament brackets, scores, schedules, teams and more.

"Darian led the Drake men’s basketball team to new heights on the court while establishing an elite culture off the court. He was an incredible mentor to the men in our men’s basketball program for the last six years and a wonderful representative of our department. We are grateful to Darian for his leadership and wish him the best in his next journey.”

Marty Richter will serve as the interim head coach effective immediately.

In six seasons with the Bulldogs – from 2018 to 2024 – DeVries compiled a 150-55 overall record, including a 28-7 record this year. Drake won 20 or more games in each season under DeVries.

DeVries' departure comes on the heels of a 66-61 loss to Washington State in the first round of the NCAA Tournament last week.
                            DeVries led Drake to March Madness three times during his tenure: 2021, 2023 and 2024. Two of those appearances were automatic bids after winning the Missouri Valley Conference titles in consecutive seasons – 2023 and 2024.

Before DeVries arrived at Drake, the Bulldogs experienced a bit of a coaching carousel. The Bulldogs went through three head coaches – Ray Giacoletti, Jeff Rutter (interim) and Niko Medved – between 2014 and 2018.

DeVries was one of the longest-tenured coaches in Drake history, and the first to coach the Bulldogs for more than five seasons since Kurt Kanaskie (1997-2003).

Of Drake’s coaches during the 21st century, DeVries is only the second coach to put together a winning career record at the school – Keno Davis went 28-5 in his single season in Des Moines. Medved went 17-17 in one year with the Bulldogs.

DeVries produced several successful players during his time at Drake, none better than his son Tucker DeVries. The younger DeVries consistently rose to the top of the MVC and was named the conference’s player of the year in back-to-back years. Tucker DeVries has a year of college eligibility remaining.

Alyssa Hertel is the college sports recruiting reporter for the Des Moines Register. Contact Alyssa at [email protected] or on Twitter @AlyssaHertel.
                            Last edited by ZubCat81; 03-24-2024, 07:46 PM.

Comment

• I'm not the expert but I believe this is the first good break Bearcat fans have gotten in DECADES

https://hoopdirt.com/report-cuonzo-m...issouri-state/

Comment

• But what about Drake…

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X