Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Southern Indiana Screaming Eagles

Originally posted by KnightsHoop1 View Post
    USI played well, but I wouldn't go so far as to say "slapped around Davenport and showed everyone who the real boss is." (the history speaks for itself). That hot take doesn't take away from USI playing to their strengths and pushing Bellarmine away from their own, kudos on that. I am interested to see how this streaking USI team fares in the Elite 8
    Imagine bad Korn replacing Scotty tomorrow. Then 10 yrs one ncaa win. Suddenly win region he be the boss. Toast of Louisville, rename of Denny Crum
    Court.

Comment

Stein absolutely did take over this game, like big time players do. Bellarmine was gassed and he knew it, started taking the ball to the hole as fast as he could pretty much every time he touched the rock. Got to the line repeatedly.

Comment

Yes and Bellarmine picking up early fouls and us getting into the bonus with 13 min left kept them from contesting as many shots at the rim. It was critical we attack the rim and that is exactly what happened. There were a ton of big plays in that last few min. Rivera getting that tip in was huge.

Originally posted by USI!USI! View Post
        Stein absolutely did take over this game, like big time players do. Bellarmine was gassed and he knew it, started taking the ball to the hole as fast as he could pretty much every time he touched the rock. Got to the line repeatedly.

Comment

Looks like USI will play West Texas at 6pm next Wed, according to USI's website. WT is very small, only 1 big, slow, and doesn't shoot it very well. We start 5'10, 5'10. 5'11, 6'4, and 6'6. That's it. Only go 2/3 deep, 5'9, 6'3, and 6'4. How we won 34 games so far is beyond me. Plus we'll definitely not have the home crowd advantage.

Comment

Long time fan I am and I didn't expect this. I have had more than one moment where I questioned our coaching and now will say, thank you to Coach Watson and his staff.

Comment

WT must shoot the ball very well to have won 34 games with that lineup. USI not exactly great at closing out on 3 pt shooting teams that move the ball well. Should be an interesting matchup. We do hope to pack the place with our fans to create a home court advantage. People are basketball crazy here in Indiana so I hope that they turn out in droves for us. We'll see.
              Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post
              Looks like USI will play West Texas at 6pm next Wed, according to USI's website. WT is very small, only 1 big, slow, and doesn't shoot it very well. We start 5'10, 5'10. 5'11, 6'4, and 6'6. That's it. Only go 2/3 deep, 5'9, 6'3, and 6'4. How we won 34 games so far is beyond me. Plus we'll definitely not have the home crowd advantage.

Comment

What he is leaving out is their 5 starters all average double digits and their big man McQuaid is the best forward we will have faced all year. These dudes are legit.

Originally posted by USI!USI! View Post
                WT must shoot the ball very well to have won 34 games with that lineup. USI not exactly great at closing out on 3 pt shooting teams that move the ball well. Should be an interesting matchup. We do hope to pack the place with our fans to create a home court advantage. People are basketball crazy here in Indiana so I hope that they turn out in droves for us. We'll see.

Comment

Originally posted by bkingbroker View Post
                  What he is leaving out is their 5 starters all average double digits and their big man McQuaid is the best forward we will have faced all year. These dudes are legit.
                  Ryan Quaid, not McQuaid. He had 29 points and 11 boards last night. 9/13 from the floor. We start a senior guard and two freshmen guards.

Quaid's an interesting and impressive kid. He's going to graduate on time in May with a double major: accounting and finance. Carries a 3.9 GPA. Last year's Elite 8 appearance cost him his typical 4.0 because he missed so much class time in the spring.

Comment

He gave us all kinds of problems when we played you all in Vegas last year.

Ryan Quaid, not McQuaid. He had 29 points and 11 boards last night. 9/13 from the floor. We start a senior guard and two freshmen guards.

Quaid's an interesting and impressive kid. He's going to graduate on time in May with a double major: accounting and finance. Carries a 3.9 GPA. Last year's Elite 8 appearance cost him his typical 4.0 because he missed so much class time in the spring.

Comment

Originally posted by bkingbroker View Post
                      He gave us all kinds of problems when we played you all in Vegas last year.
                      Were you there? I was. This WT team is different.

But, despite my earlier pathetic attempt at sandbagging, WT's guards can fly. Keep an eye on our two freshmen, Grant and Murray. Quick doesn't begin to label them. Grant is special. Built like a strong safety, this kid is a one-man fast break. I'd call him a tank with jet burners. Murray is an unnoticeable fraction of a second behind him. Brandon Hall, a 5th year graduate transfer from Emporia pulls it all together. WT hit the jackpot on the transfer market with Hall. Like he says, he won 21 games in the last two years at Emporia and he is having the time of his life at WT. Our guards play great D on the perimeter and have the quickness to play the gap defense WT runs. If you look at the stats, our guards are great rebounders as well. If we come out and hit some treys, we are very tough. If you go out and push us hard on the perimeter.......be careful you don't get beat when our guards put it on the floor. Don't forget Quaid and downtown dagger thrower Gach Gach is out there as well. Quaid is so effective inside because he can drain the trey. For such a young team, WT plays with maturity. Our coaches were the key elements in the two Winona championships and their program's success years.
                      '
                      It should be a great game. I can't wait. I hit the road Mon for the 14 hour drive,

Comment

• Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post
                        Were you there? I was. This WT team is different.

But, despite my earlier pathetic attempt at sandbagging, WT's guards can fly. Keep an eye on our two freshmen, Grant and Murray. Quick doesn't begin to label them. Grant is special. Built like a strong safety, this kid is a one-man fast break. I'd call him a tank with jet burners. Murray is an unnoticeable fraction of a second behind him. Brandon Hall, a 5th year graduate transfer from Emporia pulls it all together. WT hit the jackpot on the transfer market with Hall. Like he says, he won 21 games in the last two years at Emporia and he is having the time of his life at WT. Our guards play great D on the perimeter and have the quickness to play the gap defense WT runs. If you look at the stats, our guards are great rebounders as well. If we come out and hit some treys, we are very tough. If you go out and push us hard on the perimeter.......be careful you don't get beat when our guards put it on the floor. Don't forget Quaid and downtown dagger thrower Gach Gach is out there as well. Quaid is so effective inside because he can drain the trey. For such a young team, WT plays with maturity. Our coaches were the key elements in the two Winona championships and their program's success years.
                        '
                        It should be a great game. I can't wait. I hit the road Mon for the 14 hour drive,

Comment

USI playing 6 miles away with probably 5K fans there will be worth some points....watching that game last night those fans really energized the team. Plus STEIN saying to his team, GET ON MY BACK we will not lose.

Rodney did adjust last night, Stein was the main ball handler in 2nd half...Normans job was to be physical and eliminate Eberhard. Very simple things made a huge difference, plus #25 for Bellarmine could not stop shooting and missing.
                          Last edited by HoosierDaddy; 03-20-2019, 08:54 AM.

Comment

I bet Adam had no more than 4 points when Norman guarded him. He got his points in the first half when Dancy was guarding him and we were in serious foul trouble. He was on him like stink on crap.

Originally posted by HoosierDaddy View Post
                            USI playing 6 miles away with probably 5K fans there will be worth some points....watching that game last night those fans really energized the team. Plus STEIN saying to his team, GET ON MY BACK we will not lose.

Rodney did adjust last night, Stein was the main ball handler in 2nd half...Normans job was to be physical and eliminate Eberhard. Very simple things made a huge difference, plus #25 for Bellarmine could not stop shooting and missing.

Comment

Originally posted by HoosierDaddy View Post

Will WT handle the overwhelmingness of a huge hostile crowd? I hope so. The team has played in front of lot's of hostile crowds, but nothing like 5,000. Riding a 19 game win streak and playing with focus and determination, they need to manage the probability of being a bit intimidated early by the crowd. USI needs to beware of WT's ability to go on runs. I've seen lots of WT games this year, where all of a sudden, a pretty even possession-by-possession game, is turned on it's head when the Buffs go on a 15-2 run in the blink of an eye. A converted turnover, a steal and score, a coast-to-coast fast beak by Grant off of an offensive board, a kick out three by Murray or Hall in transition, a deep three from Collins or Gach, and it's time-out opponent. The Buffs went on those kind of runs last night to end the first half and start the 2nd half.

I imagine USI will try to control the pace like St. Ed's did last night. WT can grind if they have to, but they prefer a quicker-paced transition game.

Comment

Will WT handle the overwhelmingness of a huge hostile crowd? I hope so. The team has played in front of lot's of hostile crowds, but nothing like 5,000. Riding a 19 game win streak and playing with focus and determination, they need to manage the probability of being a bit intimidated early by the crowd. USI needs to beware of WT's ability to go on runs. I've seen lots of WT games this year, where all of a sudden, a pretty even possession-by-possession game, is turned on it's head when the Buffs go on a 15-2 run in the blink of an eye. A converted turnover, a steal and score, a coast-to-coast fast beak by Grant off of an offensive board, a kick out three by Murray or Hall in transition, a deep three from Collins or Gach, and it's time-out opponent. The Buffs went on those kind of runs last night to end the first half and start the 2nd half.

I imagine USI will try to control the pace like St. Ed's did last night. WT can grind if they have to, but they prefer a quicker-paced transition game.
                                Last night USI v BU was a game of runs for both teams, USI to start, BU to catch up and bury USI, then USI to take the game back. That's not all uncommon for us to see.
                                The top GLVC squads run a tough defense and generally like slow the game down a bit when playing top tier teams. USI's winning scores through the regional were 66, 62, and 76, holding opponents to 60, 60, and 69 respectively. We'll usually see a lot faster paced games when playing weaker competition as the defense lets up and they turn it into a running game.

In the GLVC, USI ranks:
                                1st in total rebounds and rebound margin
                                1st in offensive rebounding (led by Jacob Norman)
                                3rd in defensive rebounding (led by Emmanuel Little)
                                1st in free throw attempts made & attempted (led by Alex Stein) - as a whole, USI is strong at the free throw line
                                2nd best scoring offense in GLVC (behind William Jewell), and 2nd best scoring margin (behind Bellarmine).
                                2nd best in 3FG% (behind Maryville, led by Nate Hansen and Kobe Caldwell)
                                2nd best in total blocked shots (behind Bellarmine)

The challenge for USI will be limiting fouls and turnovers, as both have been high, especially if WT is good at converting them into points.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X