Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New bellarmine thread

Originally posted by KnightsHoop1 View Post
    I'v always found it odd the crowd cheers so much louder for a restaurant than an Alex Cook alley-oop; I guess hitting 85 at this point has become tougher than winning at home and thus the increased enthusiasm (not saying this is good, but that is one take on it).

That aside, a great showing from the Knights, but the hosting duties aren't complete without assuring there is not a let down in an afternoon game tomorrow that is sure to draw a smaller crowd.
    The sad thing when they started the promotion several years ago, it was Chick-fil-A which is worth the hysteria, the new one is not worth the 25 minute drive for me to get the free sandwich!

Comment

Great performance last night. Everyone played well, but I got to say Chitty was the man! I think he read our posts about Jenkins starting. To that extent Jenkins still needs to start and play most of the minutes (Did you hear me Parker? Go out and prove me wrong again!)

Comment

So what's up with the midday game time today? Are they not allowed to have Wednesday evening games?

Comment

Originally posted by schnautza View Post
          So what's up with the midday game time today? Are they not allowed to have Wednesday evening games?
          Got no idea, it must be due to NMU and Barry's travel schedule. The 7 day mandatory NCAA break doesn't start until after tomorrow night's games. It is rather silly for attendance purposes. No one will be there for Game 1 and 3 people for Game 2 (Me, Moves and Grad.) Actually works out for the benefit of USI though. Barry played the later game yesterday and is playing its 3rd game in 4 days. USI will definitely have the fresher legs. Think USI wins big.

Comment

Originally posted by KnightStalker View Post
            Got no idea, it must be due to NMU and Barry's travel schedule. The 7 day mandatory NCAA break doesn't start until after tomorrow night's games. It is rather silly for attendance purposes. No one will be there for Game 1 and 3 people for Game 2 (Me, Moves and Grad.) Actually works out for the benefit of USI though. Barry played the later game yesterday and is playing its 3rd game in 4 days. USI will definitely have the fresher legs. Think USI wins big.
            A win today would be bigger than big. It would be the bigliest big win we've had in a while.

Comment

Great game and win over a red hot NMU. UNBELIEVABLE CROWD! Scotty is not only a great coach, he markets the heck out of the team. 1500 at a Wednesday afternoon game is a minor miracle.

Comment

Originally posted by Knightmoves View Post
                Great game and win over a red hot NMU. UNBELIEVABLE CROWD! Scotty is not only a great coach, he markets the heck out of the team. 1500 at a Wednesday afternoon game is a minor miracle.
                Amazing turnout for the game. I noticed a good number of St. Agnes "Aggies" at the game and I'd like to take credit for delivering them, but that would be an untruth. NMU looks to be a darn good team, and they are going to make some noise this year in the GLIAC. USI looks to me like a dangerous team in the GLVC too...one must not take too seriously some of the comments on the USI message board. They've got some talented players. My only wish right now is just a little more offense from BU's guard position.

Comment

Yes, indeed -- Christmas comes early in the form of a tremendous crowd for a Wednesday afternoon, and a hard-earned victory over a tough opponent.

Was quite impressed with Northern Michigan (much more than Barry), and I see them as a tournament team. Hitting 10 of 15 threes to start the game was insane, but you had to figure that they'd cool off a bit at some point and that the BU depth would wear them down.

Didn't see them play, but, just based on the results, it does seem that USI has turned the corner and is back. Glad we get them in February at Knights Hall.

Comment

• Comment

Originally posted by BGrad1971 View Post
                      Amazing turnout for the game. I noticed a good number of St. Agnes "Aggies" at the game and I'd like to take credit for delivering them, but that would be an untruth. NMU looks to be a darn good team, and they are going to make some noise this year in the GLIAC. USI looks to me like a dangerous team in the GLVC too...one must not take too seriously some of the comments on the USI message board. They've got some talented players. My only wish right now is just a little more offense from BU's guard position.

Comment

Thank goodness for the great coverage yet again by Eric Crawford:
                        https://www.wdrb.com/sports/crawford...619419965.html

Comment

It is quite sad that the paper just outright refuses to cover any of BU basketball. This team could win it all and the paper won't consider it news? I always hated the left biased of the CJ, but at least respected their news coverage. Now its just a shell.
                          The sad thing when they started the promotion several years ago, it was Chick-fil-A which is worth the hysteria, the new one is not worth the 25 minute drive for me to get the free sandwich!
                          Amen. Both of your points here are, as the young people say, #truth.

Comment

I have to take issue with some on this and other threads saying Barry is not any good. I'll make a gentelman's wager they make the NCAA tournament. Critics are ignoring the fact that they played Sunday against Drury at a neutral floor in Fort Lauderdale, traveled Monday, played the team with the longest home court winning streak in basketball on Tuesday and then played a highly underated USI team on Wednesday. Last year Barry made the elite eight with eight losses going into the tournament. The SSC is a very good, very balanced league. They will be in contention to win it. Their backcourt play is pretty pedestrian, but they have a very good front court and will be heard from at the end of the season.

Comment

I have to take issue with some on this and other threads saying Barry is not any good. I'll make a gentelman's wager they make the NCAA tournament. Critics are ignoring the fact that they played Sunday against Drury at a neutral floor in Fort Lauderdale, traveled Monday, played the team with the longest home court winning streak in basketball on Tuesday and then played a highly underated USI team on Wednesday. Last year Barry made the elite eight with eight losses going into the tournament. The SSC is a very good, very balanced league. They will be in contention to win it. Their backcourt play is pretty pedestrian, but they have a very good front court and will be heard from at the end of the season.
                              Barry will have opportunities to prove their worth in the conference schedule. Both Nova Southeastern and Florida Southern (we BU fans remember them as National Champs in 2015) are rated in the top 10 currently ahead of Barry and Lynn University is currently undefeated. Barry has 2 games against both Florida Southern and Lynn and one home game against Nova SE (they lost to them earlier at their place). If Barry gets through those games in decent shape then maybe Moves is right and they had a bad stretch this week. Its hard to rate conferences when there is so little interconference play but I know Florida Southern was tough in 2015. (I know its painful to bring up memories of that BU - Florida Southern game with the questionable call by the ref late in the game....some of us on this board still shudder when we think of it).

Comment

I have to take issue with some on this and other threads saying Barry is not any good. I'll make a gentelman's wager they make the NCAA tournament. Critics are ignoring the fact that they played Sunday against Drury at a neutral floor in Fort Lauderdale, traveled Monday, played the team with the longest home court winning streak in basketball on Tuesday and then played a highly underated USI team on Wednesday. Last year Barry made the elite eight with eight losses going into the tournament. The SSC is a very good, very balanced league. They will be in contention to win it.
                                Not sure to whom you're referring, but I clearly never said that Barry is "not any good." I'm well aware, and not "ignoring the fact," that they played Drury on Sunday and had to travel to BU. And you're not exactly breaking news about the home winning streak.

Admittedly, I base my judgment on the one game against the Knights, but BU annihilated Barry, who at least that night looked like a middle-of-the-road team in a watered-down GLVC. Heck, Lindenwood looked much better against BU than Barry did. I understand that USI cruised past the Bucs as well.

All that said, sure, Barry could make the NCAA tournament. It's hard enough to keep up with all that's going on in the Midwest region and with life in general, so who can keep up with the SSC and its region? Along the lines of what BGrad1971 said, I am aware of recent successes by Florida Southern, and I know that some of the other SSC schools are occasionally good on the hardwood. But the conference could be enough of a toilet this year that Barry could dominate it, for all I know.
                                Last edited by BellarmineGrad; 12-20-2018, 05:43 PM. Reason: typo.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X