Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New bellarmine thread

Good to win a road game against a team that turned out to be tough. Stein and Price are tough to guard. Knights had way too many turnovers but the officiating was really weird in my opinion. A lot of phantom traveling calls and phantom fouls...USI got as many bad calls as we did in my opinion. Final score makes it look like it was a comfortable win, but it was anything but that.

Comment

I agree. Refs were wonky both ways. I don't blame Watson one bit for his ejection. The last two minutes we're just out of control. In spite of that, it was a great game and I'm feeling significantly more optimistic about my eagles team. As always, it's a pleasure to see he BU machine in person.

Comment

I give credit to Stein and Price for playing unbelievably in the second half especially, but BU has to do better handling the basketball. Way too many unforced errors, either traveling violations or bad passes trying to make too much. The way BU was shooting they didn't need the passes through 3 defenders(although the backdoor to CC was a thing of beauty at the right time.) A.E. Was fantastic of course and saved the team in the second half, but sometimes he forced it a bit much, hence the 6 turnovers.
        Although what do I know, it was a win on the road in the conference. Frankly, there will only be one or two tougher opponents on the road all year so I should be thankful for the W and not nitpick!

Comment

Speaking of tough road opponents, Lewis beat Indy tonight @Lewis. Looks like the Lewis game and the Indy game will be the big tests on the road. UIS beat UMSL as well, making me think UIS will not be the usual cakewalk either

Comment

Originally posted by KnightStalker View Post
            Speaking of tough road opponents, Lewis beat Indy tonight @Lewis. Looks like the Lewis game and the Indy game will be the big tests on the road. UIS beat UMSL as well, making me think UIS will not be the usual cakewalk either
            Noticed they have a kid who transferred from Texas A&M. Sure that helps. Seems like a lot of the traditional lower tier teams in the conference are showing improvement early...

UMSL
            UIS
            S&T

Comment

BU will begin its toughest string of home games on Saturday. Christian Brothers followed by Barry and Northern Michigan. All three look to be good teams, who may be NCAA tournament qualifiers in three different regions. The winning streak is definitely on the line.

Christian Brothers' star is Adam Diebell, a 6'9" big who is putting up national POY type numbers in 7 games. 19ppg, 8 boards per, and 8 ASSISTS per game. He is shooting 41% from 3 on 39 attempts. The guy is a legit triple/triple threat. Christian Bros as a team would appear to be heavily reliant on the 3 point shot.

BTW, Northern Michigan may have the best shot at breaking the streak. The game is on Wednesday, Dec 18 @3:00. There will probably be about 200 people there, not a big home court advantage in that. NMU will also play the day before at Knight's Hall, so they will have a chance to get accustomed to the surroundings.

I know scheduling is very tough, but this seems particularly odd.
              Last edited by Knightmoves; 12-04-2018, 12:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Knightmoves View Post
                BTW, Northern Michigan may have the best shot at breaking the streak. The game is on Wednesday, Dec 18 @3:00. There will probably be about 200 people there, not a big home court advantage in that. NMU will also play the day before at Knight's Hall, so they will have a chance to get accustomed to the surroundings.

I know scheduling is very tough, but this seems particularly odd.
                Yes, that 3p weekday game is quite strange -- I was just talking with someone yesterday about that. I hope to be there, though.

Maybe they'll give out a bunch of free tix to elementary school students or something to help fill up the place.

Comment

Originally posted by BellarmineGrad View Post
                  Yes, that 3p weekday game is quite strange -- I was just talking with someone yesterday about that. I hope to be there, though.

Maybe they'll give out a bunch of free tix to elementary school students or something to help fill up the place.
                  Yeah, it'll be you, Stalker, me and 1500 ravenous 4th graders

Comment

Now that's a home court advantage!

Comment

Hey I've got two grandchildren that get out of school at 2:55 right across the street at St. Agnes, maybe we'll just drive across Newburg Road to Knights Hall!! One of them is a 4th grader as a matter of fact!!

Comment

Originally posted by BGrad1971 View Post
                        Hey I've got two grandchildren that get out of school at 2:55 right across the street at St. Agnes, maybe we'll just drive across Newburg Road to Knights Hall!! One of them is a 4th grader as a matter of fact!!
                        Bring the whole school! (although I grew up at St. Francis, could not stand the Aggies!)

Comment

Christian Bros lost to Lane last night 54-51. I previously mentioned C.B.'s reliance on the three. The Lane game makes me think they are irrationally reliant on the three. They were 6 of 32 on 3's for the game for 18.8% What really makes no sense is that they were 2 for 12 in the first half and instead of changing what they were doing, they shot 20 more in the second half, only making 4. 32 of their 52 shots were 3's. BTW, it was a very close game, so these were not desparation shots trying to get back in the game. The loss will be chaulked up to cold shooting, looks more like poor decision making to me, especially when they have a talented 6'9" scorer who is an inside/outside threat. This was against a team that I am absolutely sure is no physical match to Bellarmine. It will be interesting to see if they change tactics against Bellarmine.

Brings up one of my pet peeves, which is the post game rationalization about having a cold shooting game or the other team being hot, as if these things are random occurences. Bellarmine obviously consistently shoots well over 50% from the field. Luck or random probability has nothing to do with it, but I will often hear the other side's announcers acting like it was pure fortune that the Knights were hot that night and bad luck their guys shot badly. This is not to say that individuals can't and don't have hot streaks shooting the ball.

Comment

Christian Bros lost to Lane last night 54-51. I previously mentioned C.B.'s reliance on the three. The Lane game makes me think they are irrationally reliant on the three. They were 6 of 32 on 3's for the game for 18.8% What really makes no sense is that they were 2 for 12 in the first half and instead of changing what they were doing, they shot 20 more in the second half, only making 4. 32 of their 52 shots were 3's. BTW, it was a very close game, so these were not desparation shots trying to get back in the game. The loss will be chaulked up to cold shooting, looks more like poor decision making to me, especially when they have a talented 6'9" scorer who is an inside/outside threat. This was against a team that I am absolutely sure is no physical match to Bellarmine. It will be interesting to see if they change tactics against Bellarmine.

Brings up one of my pet peeves, which is the post game rationalization about having a cold shooting game or the other team being hot, as if these things are random occurences. Bellarmine obviously consistently shoots well over 50% from the field. Luck or random probability has nothing to do with it, but I will often hear the other side's announcers acting like it was pure fortune that the Knights were hot that night and bad luck their guys shot badly. This is not to say that individuals can't and don't have hot streaks shooting the ball.
                            The Knights consistently shoot over 50% because of their motion offense giving them good high percentage shots plus easy shots on the fast break especially against a team that gets tired covering the half court offense. Now when a team shoots a poor percentage on unmolested 3 pt. shots I guess you can chalk that up to a poor shooting night. However when a team comes out of the gate really hot on these shots, then its up for the opposing coach to get his guys to really guard the 3 pt. line. How many times have we seen that happen in the last several years where Davenport reads them the riot act at halftime and the Knights come out and smother the 3 pt. line in the second half.

Comment

BTW, BU had a total of 11 missed shots against USI. I would guess that is the lowest number of missed shots in a game in Bellarmine history. What is really weird about it, however, is that it really isn't that positive a stat. A large contributor was the extremely low number of shots taken because of 21 turnovers. (Shooting a lot of foul shots also lowers the number). Having almost twice as many turnovers as missed shots has to be pretty darn unusual. The offensive stats for Bellarmine were just really weird.

Bellarmine had 10 turnovers in the second half, I believe that 5 or 6 of them were player control fouls. You have to give credit to USI for those, although several seemed to be of the phantom variety. 3 TO's were traveling violations, two of which were simply not walks. The officiating was uniformly terrible, with Bellarmine maybe even getting the slight benefit of it. The number of replay reviews was completely out of hand, still not sure what some of them were for.

After all is said and done, however, I think the positives of the game are more likely to be repeated by the team than the negatives.

Comment

Tomorro's game strats the toughest stretch of home games BU has had since the start of The Streak. Fortunately, this may be the best BU squad during The Streak. Hopefully, the team keeps up their solid play throughout this stretch.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X