Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Redwing View Post

Maybe so. But then there is a discussion that one region's 6 seed could be a better team than another region's 5 seed. Heck in the past this happened for who would host a semi. One's regional seed has no impact when comparing a team from another region.
    It doesn't make a bit a difference if one region's seeds are better than another regions seeds as a matter of fact or opinion. Disregarding the seeding process and trading higher seeds for lower seeds to save a lousy buck is fundamentally flawed in every aspect of competition and to a tournament that so many regard as crowning a true national champion.
    Go Hounds!
    B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S
    Cyclone Power
    ERAU Eagles Soar

Comment

Originally posted by CatFan88 View Post

It doesn't make a bit a difference if one region's seeds are better than another regions seeds as a matter of fact or opinion. Disregarding the seeding process and trading higher seeds for lower seeds to save a lousy buck is fundamentally flawed in every aspect of competition and to a tournament that so many regard as crowning a true national champion.
      I agree with this, and it's the opinion I've held for a while now. I don't understand why they continue to make these types of changes to reseed things at this level.

A couple of years ago they started reseeding the Elite 8 in the D2 basketball tournament. They felt it would place the best two teams into the tournament. I just think that's fundamentally against the bracket style competition of what makes the NCAA basketball tournament every month so much fun. IUP lost to Florida Southern in the national championship in 2015. They got hot down the stretch and won a tough Atlantic Regional as a 3 seed. They were the lowest remaining seed in the tournament at the Elite 8. Had that rule been in place in 2015, the NCAA would have done everything in their power to get IUP out of the Elite 8 as fast as possible by making them go up against the perceived best remaining team. I just don't understand that.

I guess this whole rule change for football was an initial shock to me - and many others who follow teams from SR1 for that matter. IUP is in the PSAC, which has 16 member schools and 14 of which play football. Consider the MEC conference is right there in WV and Ohio. There's a ton of schools in a very small area, so travel is never really an issue. How many flights is the NCAA typically chartering in the playoffs?

I agree with CatFan88 regarding how this is fundamentally wrong just to save money. At the FBS level, does the NCAA charter flights for bowl games? If we're looking to save money on travel, shouldn't bowl bids be awarded by evaluating which potential schools are within a certain mileage proximity? I also think this has the potential to actually create MORE travel. There's a lot of moving parts, and as has been discussed, when one team moves to a different region, a team from that region has to go somewhere else. I think the swapping will create scenarios where kids are spending more time on buses. I'm not sure that's the right move either.

Comment

And I will also add that what I bolded can't be understated. Forever, the lower levels of college football were heralded as being the levels that offered an end result of a true national champion. I'm not sure that we have that anymore.

Does anybody know if this is just a one year trial run, or is this here to stay forever?

Comment

Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

I agree with this, and it's the opinion I've held for a while now. I don't understand why they continue to make these types of changes to reseed things at this level.

A couple of years ago they started reseeding the Elite 8 in the D2 basketball tournament. They felt it would place the best two teams into the tournament. I just think that's fundamentally against the bracket style competition of what makes the NCAA basketball tournament every month so much fun. IUP lost to Florida Southern in the national championship in 2015. They got hot down the stretch and won a tough Atlantic Regional as a 3 seed. They were the lowest remaining seed in the tournament at the Elite 8. Had that rule been in place in 2015, the NCAA would have done everything in their power to get IUP out of the Elite 8 as fast as possible by making them go up against the perceived best remaining team. I just don't understand that.

I guess this whole rule change for football was an initial shock to me - and many others who follow teams from SR1 for that matter. IUP is in the PSAC, which has 16 member schools and 14 of which play football. Consider the MEC conference is right there in WV and Ohio. There's a ton of schools in a very small area, so travel is never really an issue. How many flights is the NCAA typically chartering in the playoffs?

I agree with CatFan88 regarding how this is fundamentally wrong just to save money. At the FBS level, does the NCAA charter flights for bowl games? If we're looking to save money on travel, shouldn't bowl bids be awarded by evaluating which potential schools are within a certain mileage proximity? I also think this has the potential to actually create MORE travel. There's a lot of moving parts, and as has been discussed, when one team moves to a different region, a team from that region has to go somewhere else. I think the swapping will create scenarios where kids are spending more time on buses. I'm not sure that's the right move either.

Comment

The counter argument: Because the NCAA takes the "best" seven from each region and not the "best" 28 overall, where seeds five, six, and seven seeds are placed is irrelevant and is no less pure than keeping those seeds in their own region.

Comment

There are 16 football playing schools in the PSAC.

The NCAA does not pay for bowl games. The bowl games are not run by the NCAA.

If done properly, there is no doubt kids will spend more time on a bus travelling than they would have on a flight.

I do have a solution for these cost-saving measures. Every penny saved should be given to D2Football.com to cover the division. We could do some incredible things with that type of budget! ;)

Comment

I really believe this is a cost saving measure. The average cost of a flight was $100,000. The highest I heard was $160,000.

I do like the fact that it is a ***** in the armor of strict regionalization.

Comment

Originally posted by Runnin' Cat View Post

And GV was the best 6 and 5 team one year.

Going to SR1 isn't the cake walk you are making it. I remember a GV team that got their ass handed to them by Shepherd.
                  Yup. I was there in Shepherdstown for that one. Never saw that one coming, to be honest.
                  Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

And I will also add that what I bolded can't be understated. Forever, the lower levels of college football were heralded as being the levels that offered an end result of a true national champion. I'm not sure that we have that anymore.

Does anybody know if this is just a one year trial run, or is this here to stay forever?
                    The NCAA D2 Championships Committee didn't specify that this was a one-year trial run, but it looks as though it's at least sticking for the short term:

That said, D2 championship tournament budgets are typically set in a three-year cycle. I believe the 2019 football season is the second year of the current three-year budget cycle (2018-2019 through 2020-2021), so I'd guess it'll be in effect next season as well.

Remember, the D2 football playoff field expanded in 2015 in concert with the expanded budget to stage the playoffs starting in that three-year cycle (2015-2016 to 2017-2018), as I recall.
                    Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

• Originally posted by Brandon View Post

There are 16 football playing schools in the PSAC.

The NCAA does not pay for bowl games. The bowl games are not run by the NCAA.

If done properly, there is no doubt kids will spend more time on a bus travelling than they would have on a flight.

I do have a solution for these cost-saving measures. Every penny saved should be given to D2Football.com to cover the division. We could do some incredible things with that type of budget! ;)
                      Last edited by IUP24; 11-06-2019, 04:59 AM.

Comment

• This season it's tied for largest with the Lone Star Conference (which has 19 members in total, but no team sports in which all 19 participate). But the LSC is losing Tarleton State after this season, and there's no indication yet of whether they'll be replaced.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brandon View Post

The counter argument: Because the NCAA takes the "best" seven from each region and not the "best" 28 overall, where seeds five, six, and seven seeds are placed is irrelevant and is no less pure than keeping those seeds in their own region.
                          Let's not half-ass this thing with a Walmart discount NC, let's go all the way to Dollar General. Pick the best 28 with four #1 seeds who get a 1st round bye. The remaining 24 play 1st round games based on mileage calculations to get to round of 16. In the round of 16, play 8 games based on mileage calculations, then do the same thing for quarterfinals and semifinals. Play the NC at the home of the team who has best overall SOS from previous rounds so only 1 team has to travel. If the SOS is equal, flip a coin to see who hosts the NC. You could do this for a 32-team PO with all the cost savings. Since 5-7 seeds are essentially fodder for the higher seeds, lets just get rid of them and have a 16-team PO system. And BTW, no fancy hotels. Motel 6 only.
                          Last edited by CatFan88; 11-06-2019, 05:09 PM.
                          Go Hounds!
                          B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S
                          Cyclone Power
                          ERAU Eagles Soar

Comment

• Originally posted by Inkblot View Post

This season it's tied for largest with the Lone Star Conference (which has 19 members in total, but no team sports in which all 19 participate). But the LSC is losing Tarleton State after this season, and there's no indication yet of whether they'll be replaced.
                            Rumor mill has UT Dallas (ASC DIII) with a possible move to LSC Over 26,000 students. They really don't fit DIII conferences in Texas with those numbers as most are private institutions.

Comment

• How does Pitt State make it in over FHSU?

Comment

• Originally posted by Seinfeld View Post

Rumor mill has UT Dallas (ASC DIII) with a possible move to LSC Over 26,000 students. They really don't fit DIII conferences in Texas with those numbers as most are private institutions.
                                UT Dallas is a commuter school worse than UT Tyler.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X