Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NAIA U of Rio Grande to start football in 2025. Now, that is Rio Grande in Ohio in case you were thinking of UTRGV.

University of Rio Grande adds football, marching band to athletics lineup | WOWK (wowktv.com)

Comment

• Originally posted by laker View Post
      NAIA U of Rio Grande to start football in 2025. Now, that is Rio Grande in Ohio in case you were thinking of UTRGV.

University of Rio Grande adds football, marching band to athletics lineup | WOWK (wowktv.com)
      I think that would be the school Bevo Francis played basketball at in the 50s and had multiple 100-point games.

Comment

NAIA U of Rio Grande to start football in 2025. Now, that is Rio Grande in Ohio in case you were thinking of UTRGV.

Looked them up out of curiosity-- apparently they're both a university AND a community college. What's more, the university part is a private school, and the community college is a public institution. They claim to be the only school of its kind in the nation, and I believe it, because I've sure never heard of any arrangement like that before in my life.

Comment

• Originally posted by Inkblot View Post

Bloomfield was good in men's basketball this year, but baseball... they canceled all their non-conference games and finally opened the season yesterday, losing a doubleheader to Jefferson 0-22 and 0-35.
          Update... they managed 10 games before canceling the rest. They scored 18 runs and gave up 227.

Comment

• Northland reversed course and will not close - as of right now. I'm hearing that in addition to these big donations, they are also scaling back operations significantly, so who knows what their future will look like.

Northland College postpones closure decision after receiving several ‘transformative’ gifts | MPR News

Comment

• Originally posted by Finchwidget View Post

Looked them up out of curiosity-- apparently they're both a university AND a community college. What's more, the university part is a private school, and the community college is a public institution. They claim to be the only school of its kind in the nation, and I believe it, because I've sure never heard of any arrangement like that before in my life.
              Yeah, that's a bizarre arrangement. I've heard of schools sharing campuses and administrations, but it's usually on the public side exclusively. I wish I could find more info on the community college's history.

I also have so many questions about how it's run - very fascinating.

Comment

• LeTourneau is moving from D2 ASC to D3 ASC in 25-26.

LeTourneau University Set To Join SCAC In 2025-26 - SCAC Athletics (scacsports.com)

Comment

• Looks like another NAIA school is closing. St Kathrine in California.

USK Athletics on X: "https://t.co/7x937YBTpF" / X (twitter.com)

Comment

• Does anyone think the United States is oversaturated with colleges and universities? I am not referring to athletics, but rather, education.

Here is a page that has a map of the US where you can move a cursor over any state and a popup shows a rundown of the split between public/private, as well as a split between 4 year and 2 year colleges.

https://www.bestcolleges.com/blog/ho...olleges-in-us/

It just seems like there are tons of universities, if you consider the number of FBS, FCS, D2, D3, NAIA, NCCAA, JUCO/CC, and any other independents/affiliations I've missed. And, on top of that, all the other institutions that don't offer athletics.

Comment

• Originally posted by sportsvine View Post
                      Does anyone think the United States is oversaturated with colleges and universities? I am not referring to athletics, but rather, education.

Here is a page that has a map of the US where you can move a cursor over any state and a popup shows a rundown of the split between public/private, as well as a split between 4 year and 2 year colleges.

https://www.bestcolleges.com/blog/ho...olleges-in-us/

It just seems like there are tons of universities, if you consider the number of FBS, FCS, D2, D3, NAIA, NCCAA, JUCO/CC, and any other independents/affiliations I've missed. And, on top of that, all the other institutions that don't offer athletics.
                      Personally - yes. Statistically and economically, we wouldn't be having so many closures if we had the right amount.

I think there are way too many small private colleges and universities that don't really provide anything special. They only exist because of church affiliation, or because of athletics. It's not a recipe for success.

Comment

• D3 Wells to close.

Wells College to close this spring after 156 years | WRVO Public Media

Comment

• John Witherspoon College in Rapid City announces closure - no idea if they have sports or not, and had no idea they existed.

Rapid City college closing, President says hope is not lost | News | newscenter1.tv

Mountain State College in West Virginia closed at the end of March - no idea if they have sports or not either.

Struggling Mountain State College closes its doors | News, Sports, Jobs - News and Sentinel

Comment

• Here's an article on college closures that I thought was interesting...

Colleges are now closing at a pace of one a week. What happens to the students? - The Hechinger Report

Comment

• Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post
                              Mountain State College in West Virginia closed at the end of March - no idea if they have sports or not either.
                              Reminded me of Blue Mountain State.

Comment

Reminded me of Blue Mountain State.
                                Entire series available on Tubi ... in case anyone needs to watch it all in one weekend ... allegedly

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X