Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

While there aren't many DII "Bowl Games," I wonder if Frostburg might not snag an invite and get a chance to play one more game?

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
      While there aren't many DII "Bowl Games," I wonder if Frostburg might not snag an invite and get a chance to play one more game?

Comment

Not many seasons were a 10-1, nationally ranked, conference champion is available to a DII bowl. Most of the few DII bowls have conference ties but I'd think this one off situation would have most DII Bowls wondering if there isn't a way to make a one time exception.

Comment

Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

Frostburg is going to be a thorn in Shepherds recruiting ground for sure. The other thing that will always be in Shepherd's favor in terms of competing against FSU with offered players is game day atmosphere. If a player is considering both schools and they've been to campus for a game... It's not a hard decision. Shepherd's game day atmosphere would be exponentially more impressive, not to mention the stadium and facility is much better.

I really hope they get a home and home reoccurring series going as it's a cheap easy rivalry that I think long term will benefit both programs. No overnight stay, only 90 mins apart. Most years the SOS bump will be helpful come playoff time.
          Totally agree with the cost of this OOC game would be very cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoNuff View Post

Totally agree with the cost of this OOC game would be very cheap.
            Great intra-state rivalry which could be varied from time to time with games versus both CAL and SHIP. Generally pretty well matched teams as far as SOS goes and CAL is actually closer by a few miles than SHEP. But definitely not in the current PSAC schedule which has the VULCANS playing KUTZ and SHEP in weeks 2-3 for a couple of years.

Comment

Congratulations to FSU on a great year! They looked very impressive vs WL. Sounds like the school is growing and they have nice facilities. They are definitely going to compete with Shep for recruits. Would love to see a regularly OOG vs Shep but wonder if Shep does. I can imagine that the outcome would be used during recruiting.

Comment

Originally posted by wvftballfan View Post
                Congratulations to FSU on a great year! They looked very impressive vs WL. Sounds like the school is growing and they have nice facilities. They are definitely going to compete with Shep for recruits. Would love to see a regularly OOG vs Shep but wonder if Shep does. I can imagine that the outcome would be used during recruiting.
                Frostburg is working on their facilities. Quite a few very old dorms and other buildings. However, they are rebuilding.

Honestly, I do not see why Shepherd would not welcome a OOC game with Frostburg. Yes, Frostburg is now the co-champions of the MEC, but I think it would be Frostburg that would turn an early opportunity for a OOC game with Shepherd. The bulk of their OL/DL are returning. However, the majority of the skill position guys who received the majority of the snaps are gone. Unless Coach Fitz utilize the transfer portal. I personally think Frostburg will hold off. But I have been wrong PLENTY of times...

Comment

Frostburg is working on their facilities. Quite a few very old dorms and other buildings. However, they are rebuilding.

Honestly, I do not see why Shepherd would not welcome a OOC game with Frostburg. Yes, Frostburg is now the co-champions of the MEC, but I think it would be Frostburg that would turn an early opportunity for a OOC game with Shepherd. The bulk of their OL/DL are returning. However, the majority of the skill position guys who received the majority of the snaps are gone. Unless Coach Fitz utilize the transfer portal. I personally think Frostburg will hold off. But I have been wrong PLENTY of times...
                  They could have had yearly matchups with Frostburg as well as with NDC and even Shippensburg if they wanted to schedule them as their OOC. They chose not to make that happen.

Comment

They could have had yearly matchups with Frostburg as well as with NDC and even Shippensburg if they wanted to schedule them as their OOC. They chose not to make that happen.
                    This is a false narrative. Shepherd decided to leave the MEC before Frostburg was brought on board. Secondly, the move to the PSAC has worked well for Shepherd.

Comment

Originally posted by Ram Tough View Post

This is a false narrative. Shepherd decided to leave the MEC before Frostburg was brought on board. Secondly, the move to the PSAC has worked well for Shepherd.
                      Yes...They technically left before Frostburg was invited to join. But even if Shepherd had not jumped ship, Frostburg would have joined as the replacement for Wise. Many posters here abouts said that the move was driven by two primary factors...First and foremost was a desire to have an annual game vs Shippensburg, followed by the driving distance being shorter to PSAC West schools. With the change in scheduling, the first would be a moot point (Shepherd could have scheduled Ship every season as their OOC game). To the second, with the contraction of the PASSHE the PSAC could be down to 13 football playing schools. At that point, they have to ask does it make sense to have two divisions or does it make more sense to "uninvite" one school (Seton Hill springs immediately to mind but you could also add Hurst, Gannon...and perhaps even "conference newcomer" Shepherd into the discussion) and play as one conference with no division? Do that, and the driving distance evaporates.

Comment

Yes...They technically left before Frostburg was invited to join. But even if Shepherd had not jumped ship, Frostburg would have joined as the replacement for Wise. Many posters here abouts said that the move was driven by two primary factors...First and foremost was a desire to have an annual game vs Shippensburg, followed by the driving distance being shorter to PSAC West schools. With the change in scheduling, the first would be a moot point (Shepherd could have scheduled Ship every season as their OOC game). To the second, with the contraction of the PASSHE the PSAC could be down to 13 football playing schools. At that point, they have to ask does it make sense to have two divisions or does it make more sense to "uninvite" one school (Seton Hill springs immediately to mind but you could also add Hurst, Gannon...and perhaps even "conference newcomer" Shepherd into the discussion) and play as one conference with no division? Do that, and the driving distance evaporates.
                        Again, those changes were made after Shepherd left. And yes, the Shippensburg game was a big deal. Also, travel still works out better for Shepherd.

Comment

Originally posted by Ram Tough View Post

Again, those changes were made after Shepherd left. And yes, the Shippensburg game was a big deal. Also, travel still works out better for Shepherd.
                          In the notional reconfigured PSAC, the average driving distance difference is 40 miles. Of course, that's traveling to all schools every year. There are a number of scheduling combenations where the driving distance in a given year would actually be less for Shepherd.

Comment

Well....I just heard that Coach Fitz has accepted a job at an FCS school. Still trying to find out where. But congrats to Coach Fitz! I wonder who will become Frostburg Head Coach? Will they hire Coach Kelling !?

Comment

Well....I just heard that Coach Fitz has accepted a job at an FCS school. Still trying to find out where. But congrats to Coach Fitz! I wonder who will become Frostburg Head Coach? Will they hire Coach Kelling !?
                              wow, he really had FSU rolling. Attractive job for a lot of D2 caliber coaches I'd imagine...

Comment

Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

wow, he really had FSU rolling. Attractive job for a lot of D2 caliber coaches I'd imagine...
                                Yes, it is an attractive job.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X