Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ShoNuff View Post

Right now, I do not believe Frostburg St can quite compete with Shepherd. So I am hoping maybe....ehhh...about 2 more years actually attracting actual D-II players.
    NDC's performance in the playoffs will be the litmus. If they flame out, this is probably the case. If not... Frostburg only lost to them by 2 points. They're probably legit.

Comment

Originally posted by EastStroud13 View Post

NDC's performance in the playoffs will be the litmus. If they flame out, this is probably the case. If not... Frostburg only lost to them by 2 points. They're probably legit.
      I have not seen any derivations of the transitive property be proved out in college football.

Comment

Originally posted by Runnin' Cat View Post

I have not seen any derivations of the transitive property be proved out in college football.
        Any derivations? Seems pretty extreme. In that case, how do we even rank 25 teams across regions? In order for rankings to work, the transitive property has to be trusted to some extent.

Comment

Right now, I do not believe Frostburg St can quite compete with Shepherd. So I am hoping maybe....ehhh...about 2 more years actually attracting actual D-II players.
          I think your underselling them, they have a good program that would have been a playoff team this year if not for that probation period.

Comment

SR1 is becoming a bit of a logam as far as teams that are regularly PLAYOFFS capable. With 6-8 PSAC (IUP, SRU,CAL, WCU, SHEP, SHIP, KUTZ) 2-3 MEC (NDC, FRST, CHAS) 2-3 GMAC ( ASH, FIND, TIFF) and 2-3 NE10 (BENT, ASSUM, UNH) we're talking 12-17 teams that, in any given year, will be in the running and many recruiting from a lot of the same territory. The BOBCATS are certainly a welcome addition to the SR and of course the Atlantic Region in basketball, though I haven't heard much about their prowess in that sport.

Comment

Originally posted by EastStroud13 View Post

I'd say the last few years have been NDCs litmus test. Regardless of how they do in the playoffs this year, they are "legit." Now is Frostburg legit based on one game they lost by 2 points? Hard to say that solely on that one game, but adding all the other games into the equation and you certainly have to it is much more likely they will be a top tier SR1 starting next season as opposed to a marginal playoff participant/middle of the pack MEC team.

What is pretty clear after this season is the quality of Frostburg's recruting operation. There was discussion about weather FSU was able to compete at the same level for the Maryland recruits that in the past stocked Shepherd and Bowie. The opinion among some was that it would take a number of years for FSU to compete. After this year, pretty clear that FSU is much further along in the toe-to-toe Maryland recruting wars than previously thought.

In short, the future is very bright for Frostburg and SR1 opponents that face them during the season,, in the playoffs or on the recruting field better bring their A game!

Comment

Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

I think your underselling them, they have a good program that would have been a playoff team this year if not for that probation period.
                Agree that Frostburg has a good program, pretty good in fact. And its because of their program is why Frostburg gets the most out of their players. And yes, the one-loss Frostburg team would have made the playoffs if they were not on the D-II Probation Period.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

I'd say the last few years have been NDCs litmus test. Regardless of how they do in the playoffs this year, they are "legit." Now is Frostburg legit based on one game they lost by 2 points? Hard to say that solely on that one game, but adding all the other games into the equation and you certainly have to it is much more likely they will be a top tier SR1 starting next season as opposed to a marginal playoff participant/middle of the pack MEC team.

What is pretty clear after this season is the quality of Frostburg's recruting operation. There was discussion about weather FSU was able to compete at the same level for the Maryland recruits that in the past stocked Shepherd and Bowie. The opinion among some was that it would take a number of years for FSU to compete. After this year, pretty clear that FSU is much further along in the toe-to-toe Maryland recruting wars than previously thought.

In short, the future is very bright for Frostburg and SR1 opponents that face them during the season,, in the playoffs or on the recruting field better bring their A game!
                  Come on boatcapt , you can go ahead and tell them it was me in that recruiting discussion. :)

Right now, I still feel Frostburg is behind Bowie St and Shepherd for the top D-II caliber players in Maryland. I guess the question is how far are they. But this recruiting season, even though I am not on social media, I will try to track players who receives offers from Frostburg St and Shepherd....and Frostburg St and Bowie St...then see where that player ends up.

Comment

Come on boatcapt , you can go ahead and tell them it was me in that recruiting discussion. :)

Right now, I still feel Frostburg is behind Bowie St and Shepherd for the top D-II caliber players in Maryland. I guess the question is how far are they. But this recruiting season, even though I am not on social media, I will try to track players who receives offers from Frostburg St and Shepherd....and Frostburg St and Bowie St...then see where that player ends up.
                    Well I don't like to call names!

Proof is in the pudding as they say. While Frostburg was a D3, they really weren't a typical D3 their last three years before begining the transition to DII. Their stellar D3 regular and playoff recorded that they were pretty competitive on the recruiting trails. That on field performance has continued since stepping up to DII with the only thing "missing" is playoff success (due to the NCAA forbidding their participation). But at the end of the day, it will come down to $'s the coach offers to each individual player and more precisely, how much "residual cost" a player (and his family) have after their scholly. Here Frostburg's in-state tuition advantage shows through.

I think Frostburg has amply demonstrated over the last three years that they recruit head to head with Shepherd now. Concerning Frostburg/Bowie recruiting, the two recruit largely different areas within MD. Were they do overlap, it seems to be a mixed bag.

Big picture, not saying Frostburg is going to drive Shepherd out of MD recruting wise but they are going to take more than their fair share of in-state recruits that may have chosen Shepherd when they were largely the only scholarship offering DII school working a number of very productive MD areas.

Comment

Well I don't like to call names!

Proof is in the pudding as they say. While Frostburg was a D3, they really weren't a typical D3 their last three years before begining the transition to DII. Their stellar D3 regular and playoff recorded that they were pretty competitive on the recruiting trails. That on field performance has continued since stepping up to DII with the only thing "missing" is playoff success (due to the NCAA forbidding their participation). But at the end of the day, it will come down to $'s the coach offers to each individual player and more precisely, how much "residual cost" a player (and his family) have after their scholly. Here Frostburg's in-state tuition advantage shows through.

I think Frostburg has amply demonstrated over the last three years that they recruit head to head with Shepherd now. Concerning Frostburg/Bowie recruiting, the two recruit largely different areas within MD. Were they do overlap, it seems to be a mixed bag.

Big picture, not saying Frostburg is going to drive Shepherd out of MD recruiting wise but they are going to take more than their fair share of in-state recruits that may have chosen Shepherd when they were largely the only scholarship offering DII school working a number of very productive MD areas.
                      boatcapt - LOL...we will always be good ! Please feel free to "call me out" anytime!

While I agree that Frostburg had developed into an excellent D3 program, the transformation did not start until the hiring of Coach Fitzgerald and his coaching staff. I think alot of Frostburg's success is because of Coach Fitzgerald and crew.

I been trying my best to avoid asking this question. But could a good bit of Frostburg current success is due to the quality of the play in the MEC? After all, Shepherd did leave the MEC in search for better competition.

I agree that Frostburg and Bowie State in general recruits in totally different areas. However, Shepherd and Frostburg hang out in the same recruiting areas. In most cases, Frostburg is further away and has a disadvantage weather-wise (10 degrees colder and 40" more yearly snowfall than Shepherdstown). But being a recent successful program and the completion of the probation period is going to help Frostburg.

Comment

Everyone should watch us on MASN btw

Comment

boatcapt - LOL...we will always be good ! Please feel free to "call me out" anytime!

While I agree that Frostburg had developed into an excellent D3 program, the transformation did not start until the hiring of Coach Fitzgerald and his coaching staff. I think alot of Frostburg's success is because of Coach Fitzgerald and crew.

I been trying my best to avoid asking this question. But could a good bit of Frostburg current success is due to the quality of the play in the MEC? After all, Shepherd did leave the MEC in search for better competition.

I agree that Frostburg and Bowie State in general recruits in totally different areas. However, Shepherd and Frostburg hang out in the same recruiting areas. In most cases, Frostburg is further away and has a disadvantage weather-wise (10 degrees colder and 40" more yearly snowfall than Shepherdstown). But being a recent successful program and the completion of the probation period is going to help Frostburg.
                          Frostburg is going to be a thorn in Shepherds recruiting ground for sure. The other thing that will always be in Shepherd's favor in terms of competing against FSU with offered players is game day atmosphere. If a player is considering both schools and they've been to campus for a game... It's not a hard decision. Shepherd's game day atmosphere would be exponentially more impressive, not to mention the stadium and facility is much better.

I really hope they get a home and home reoccurring series going as it's a cheap easy rivalry that I think long term will benefit both programs. No overnight stay, only 90 mins apart. Most years the SOS bump will be helpful come playoff time.

Comment

With all deferance to the Shepherd "atmosphere," Frostburg's game day atmosphere is not too shabby. I've been to both and I'd say the "feel" and noise level is similar. I'd give the lean to Shepherd but not by much. As for weather, I'd be pretty surprised if snow total differences factors into many HS recruit's decision making process! But if it does, I note that Frostburg is 32 miles from Wisp Resort and all the snowboarding and tubing they could want!!

At the end of the day, as I said, for most recruits it's going to come down to price after scholly.

Comment

Originally posted by Real_FSU_47 View Post
                              Everyone should watch us on MASN btw
                              Big showcase for Frostburg! LOUD packed home crowd and FSU is BALLING!!!!!

Comment

Big showcase for Frostburg! LOUD packed home crowd and FSU is BALLING!!!!!
                                Yes....Frostburg is putting on a show.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X