Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

All 14 SSHE schools will close in 4 years?

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bart View Post
    Wagner now saying those schools doing well should go private.
    http://www.dailyitem.com/news/gubern...2b3a81719.html

Comment

• Re: All 14 SSHE schools will close in 4 years?

[QUOTE=IUsuallyPonder;2195944]This loon is in the same vain as Daryl Metcalfe... Says the most general statements to gin up support from the base, no real substance...

Isn't that about 99% of politicians?

Comment

[QUOTE=IUPbigINDIANS;2195950]
        Originally posted by IUsuallyPonder View Post
        This loon is in the same vain as Daryl Metcalfe... Says the most general statements to gin up support from the base, no real substance...

Isn't that about 99% of politicians?
        Correct, I'd say in this instance, this particular politician is feeding into the "If I don't think it benefits me, why should I pay for it?"
        When in reality the roads need paved so you can go to work, the public servant needs paid if you want your social security check, and if you don't want to live in a society of "morans" you need public education at an affordable price.

I think there are plenty of politicians, on both sides, that are full of it. Plain and simple though, if you want to be a leader, act like it. These tactics only hurt public higher education in Pennsylvania, and if you want to be the governor of the state, don't you want a more educated populace, bringing in more jobs, creating a strong middle class, paying taxes, etc? This policy of de-investing in education would seem to run against those stated goals he has.

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post
          I don't think that's what he's talking about. He's part of a conservative element in York and Lancaster County (some of Berks and Lebanon) that doesn't believe the government should be involved with education. If they had free rein they would eliminate public education as we know it. It's extreme. Luckily, it's unpopular. Infeasible. But that doesn't mean that with a few of the these people in high places they can't further damage public education. I don't think his ideas are related so much to changing demographics but instead it's the idea of separating education and government spending. I doubt he knows what a "demographic" is.
          Have to quote myself here. Note Wagner's comment in the article "We should be out of this business."

The pensions are a big problem but as I said before the PASSHE pensions are a small part of the state pension problem. For Wagner, it's also a surrogate issue to separate government from the state university system. With him and his friends first it would be colleges then they're coming after your local public school district. Trust me. This is one dangerous dude.
          Last edited by iupgroundhog; 03-27-2018, 10:50 AM.

Comment

Perhaps the answer is China.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...nese-companies

Comment

Originally posted by Bart View Post
              They could go from being in the red to just being Red.

Comment

Originally posted by Bart View Post
                I'm told that in China the capacity at universities is way below the demand. There are exchange programs with China, as well as other countries, designed to increase enrollment in under enrolled programs at many universities, including IUP. This solution tends to undermine the case for using public money for university education, though.

Comment

Innovation https://www.wcupa.edu/communications...03.29dccc.aspx

Comment

PASSHE is a mess. Cheyney is insolvent. Edinboro can't get out of its own way with PR. Presidents are cutting and running at the first sign of difficulty. The faculty union doesn't trust anyone but themself.

Now this:

http://www.post-gazette.com/news/edu...s/201804050102

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
                      PASSHE is a mess. Cheyney is insolvent. Edinboro can't get out of its own way with PR. Presidents are cutting and running at the first sign of difficulty. The faculty union doesn't trust anyone but themself.

Now this:

http://www.post-gazette.com/news/edu...s/201804050102
                      And this: http://thestroudcourier.com/2018/04/...-hall-meeting/

Comment

There is also continued unrest at Kutztown. The faculty union there was successful in chasing away the last president and now they're questioning a lot of what the new president is doing.

Comment

If the Commonwealth were not involved and subsidizing 14 universities, I wonder if decisions to reinvent, close or grow would take different (market driven) directions? In business, it happens all the time. I think that the consultant recommendations were a cop out. Seriously, we are still looking at these 14 as if it were the 1970's or 80's. The dynamics have changed. Some should be closed, some merged, some made into branch campuses of Pitt, Penn State, or Temple (where the commonwealth really sends money for higher ed) and some should be private, some made into county community colleges, etc.... Reasonable ways can be developed to migrate each of the 14 to a better model. What are the consequences of doing nothing? Market forces will still shape the outcome as we are seeing now at almost all of the 14.

Comment

Originally posted by BADinPA View Post
                            If the Commonwealth were not involved and subsidizing 14 universities, I wonder if decisions to reinvent, close or grow would take different (market driven) directions? In business, it happens all the time. I think that the consultant recommendations were a cop out. Seriously, we are still looking at these 14 as if it were the 1970's or 80's. The dynamics have changed. Some should be closed, some merged, some made into branch campuses of Pitt, Penn State, or Temple (where the commonwealth really sends money for higher ed) and some should be private, some made into county community colleges, etc.... Reasonable ways can be developed to migrate each of the 14 to a better model. What are the consequences of doing nothing? Market forces will still shape the outcome as we are seeing now at almost all of the 14.
                            If they were private independent universities they'd have the power to fix a ton of their controlled costs. 80% of their budget if not more is personnel. That's on par with most public regional masters universities. Private universities of similar size average 70% of their budget on personnel. How? They have the power to negotiate more budget-friendly pay and benefits packages and aren't dealing with the state-wide union.

The demand for 14 state regional universities is there even with the growth of the Pitt and Penn State campuses and the private schools discounting over 50% of sticker price to compete. The demand for traditional age residential college freshmen isn't there - but its there for the students who commute or complete online degree programs. The public thinks of the traditional 18-22 year old college student living in a dorm on a grassy treelined campus with ivy-covered buildings. The reality is that most students are commuters and adults never entering the dorms. So when you close Mansfield or Clarion because they're less popular with 17 year olds you screw over the 25-50 year olds who need affordable college educations or who must commute from home while working and supporting a family. And a good portion of that crowd are veterans using GI Bill benefits and working class Pennsylvanians who were recently laid off or going to school in case of layoff as well as working adults seeking a career change.
                            Last edited by Fightingscot82; 04-06-2018, 11:31 AM.

Comment

And then there's this...

http://www.post-gazette.com/news/edu...s/201804050168

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
                                Butler County is really batting 1.000 with their state representatives. This clown and Daryl Metcalfe?

Now we have Dumb and Dumber running for the GOP Nomination for Gubner. I can't believe their sad pathetic pissing match of commercials is even getting any air time on Philadelphia TV. It's a dick wagging match over who is the conservative and who can yell the other is a liberal the loudest....as if liberal is a bad word (but don't use that tactic on conservatives or they cry like a baby and call you intolerant).

At some point Southeastern Pennsylvania should think about creating a new state and leave Cletus and April Mae June to go fend for themselves.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X