Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Shepherd

Instate tuition (metro rates) for PA is coming to Shepherd University. Playing/recruiting field immediately equalized. In 2-3 years Shepherd will have at least 20-30 PA kids in the roster. 15 will be All PSAC caliber players.

Originally posted by ShoNuff View Post
    Big Indians,

Why will they be afraid of a solidly funded school like Shepherd? If you are referring to recruiting I think the PSAC East will be safe. Since Shepherd University offers a in-state tuition to Delaware (http://www.shepherd.edu/university/r.../delaware.html ) and Maryland (http://www.shepherd.edu/university/r.../maryland.html) residents I highly doubt they will recruit a lot in Pa. You can look at their rosters from the past few years (http://shepherdrams.com/roster.aspx?path=football ) and it is predominately WVa/Md/DC/Va/Del . I maybe wrong....but I guess we shall see.

Comment

Originally posted by every1ftballfan View Post
      Instate tuition (metro rates) for PA is coming to Shepherd University. Playing/recruiting field immediately equalized. In 2-3 years Shepherd will have at least 20-30 PA kids in the roster. 15 will be All PSAC caliber players.

Comment

Originally posted by every1ftballfan View Post

Comment

The jumbo will be frying.

MEATLOAF

Comment

They don't think like that but hopefully the innovation starts flowing with our new Gates Foundation chancellor.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
              They don't think like that but hopefully the innovation starts flowing with our new Gates Foundation chancellor.
              We'll see if the new guy is any better, couldn't be any worse. We've been through new visions every couple of years or so, all the while allowing incompetent state management to continue .

Other than for recruiting athletes, lowering out of state tuition isn't very effective. The increase in students usually doesn't make up for the decrease in tuition per student, and out of state students are more likely to transfer, or not complete their degree.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                The jumbo will be frying.

MEATLOAF

Lol, start frying the jumbo, Homer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by IUP24 View Post
                  Lol, start frying the jumbo, Homer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How did Yinzers get Jumbo from bologna?

Comment

There are a couple schools that do that to an extent (Edinboro and Mansfield come to mind), but as long as the rocket scientists at PASSHE continue their one size fits all approach that has generally been employed for setting tuition rates, that might not happen as easily.
                    Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post
                      Other than for recruiting athletes, lowering out of state tuition isn't very effective. The increase in students usually doesn't make up for the decrease in tuition per student, and out of state students are more likely to transfer, or not complete their degree.
                      I disagree. At this point you wouldn't be cannibalizing in-state students by accepting out of staters at the same rate. You would only be increasing revenue. It's a no brainer. They should do it.

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post
                        I disagree. At this point you wouldn't be cannibalizing in-state students by accepting out of staters at the same rate. You would only be increasing revenue. It's a no brainer. They should do it.
                        I'm with the Groundhog. Some schools, like Edinboro, have more out of state surrounding them than Pennsylvania. The Pennsylvania that's actually surrounding them is hemorrhaging population. Edinboro ditched their plan before they could market it and before they had a chance to compete with Ohio's reduced tuition for PA residents or the New York Excelsior program. The per-credit plans being piloted are a disaster for what should be PASSHE's hallmark, affordability.

State appropriation is only 26% of the schools' budgets but out of state students bring in other sources of revenue like housing fees. Almost every PASSHE school is losing campus residents not long after outbuilding dorms.

Long story short, tuition programs should be controlled on the local level like Ohio. Schools are given a fixed amount but have the autonomy to adjust how much they charge. The PASSHE board is made up of gubernatorial appointees who know nothing about higher ed and trustees who have their own universities to run. Let the schools manage their affairs and get out of the way.

Comment

Glad we made the change.

Lots of good posts going on here!

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post
                            If there are 200 out of state students, paying 2x instate tuition, you will need 200 additional students to make up for the reduction in tuition. I'm pretty sure you can't double your out of state enrollment, since the reduction to in state is still more than in state for our surrounding states. We try to be a destination school, and the honors college has done that a bit, but otherwise, we still lose to SUNY - wherever,

Comment

Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post
                              Right, with last years schedules. But now the MEC teams don't have to play shepherd, and all the psac east teams, and 3 west teams do - records will not be as good. Plus the MEC winner, someone other than shepherd, will have a good record, chance for earned access. Then there is the # 2 GMAC and NE-10 teams - maybe one loss teams. It would be common for PSAC to get 3, and so teams that had a shot like Cal and Ship last year, would have a less of a chance with the addition of shepherd

Comment

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X