Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Shepherd

Makes it even more important that ESU football gets its act together soon. The rest of ESU athletics had a good year, but football is down. Perhaps there's been a shift of priorities in the higher-up areas, but would be nice to see some more excitement around the football team. Even just a winning record is looking like a tall ask for the time being.

Comment

Originally posted by EastStroud13 View Post
      Makes it even more important that ESU football gets its act together soon. The rest of ESU athletics had a good year, but football is down. Perhaps there's been a shift of priorities in the higher-up areas, but would be nice to see some more excitement around the football team. Even just a winning record is looking like a tall ask for the time being.
      Who will be the QB under center for the Warriors this year? That's a huge question mark that has to be answered for them as stability under center leads to offensive production rather than flip flopping QB's throughout the season. Will they let Moser open it up and let it fly with Javier Buffalo and Jylil Ryder going deep?

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
        St. Anselm is rumored to go D3 but I haven't read anything about it. There is also a rumor that Merrimack may try for NEC membership but they'd need a new basketball facility for that to even be a consideration.
        St. Anselm recommitted to D2 two years ago. Whether that has changed between then and now is another story, but they've been competitive in sports other than football in the NE-10.
        Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Originally posted by cage View Post
          Mansfield has been killed by free tuition in NY.
          Which shows you how much I've been paying attention to what's been happening in New York State, but I didn't factor that in. As I recall, Mansfield seemed to draw from New York State before Cuomo's tuition scheme was implemented. At least Edinboro has Ohio to tap into, but it sounds like the state-schools in eastern Ohio have been counter-acting as well with similar in-state/metro rates for Pa. residents.
          Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Originally posted by cage View Post
            Mansfield has been killed by free tuition in NY.
            Mansfield was in trouble long before that program. They serve an incredibly needy population that is also hemorrhaging population. Mansfield's problem isn't unique to them: they're having a hard time convincing PA residents to attend Mansfield. Everyone but Slippery Rock and West Chester have the same challenge. Its just increased by the regional population loss and decreasing value proposition.

Comment

SRU has become trendy lately. When I was in high school Clarion had a similar surge.

Rock has done really well. It will pass IUP in enrollment within a couple years.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                SRU has become trendy lately. When I was in high school Clarion had a similar surge.

Rock has done really well. It will pass IUP in enrollment within a couple years.
                It might, SRU concentrated on their bread and butter in Pittsburgh, and with the easy ride up 79, slightly cheaper fees, and focusing on efficient programs in high demand, they grew their market share substantially in western PA. IUP tried to branch out, become more than a regional university, focused on grad programs and students from eastern PA. and took the local market share for granted. Turns out, it was not the best plan, though it sounded good at the time. IUP did gain students in the areas they targeted, but has lost in the Pittsburgh area. On top of that, Eastern PA students tend to be more difficult to retain. Nobody thought IUP could lose area students to other PASSHE schools. It might have been hubris, but more likely just laziness.

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post
                  Which shows you how much I've been paying attention to what's been happening in New York State, but I didn't factor that in. As I recall, Mansfield seemed to draw from New York State before Cuomo's tuition scheme was implemented. At least Edinboro has Ohio to tap into, but it sounds like the state-schools in eastern Ohio have been counter-acting as well with similar in-state/metro rates for Pa. residents.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Do we need that many gym teachers?

Comment

Originally posted by IUPNation View Post
                      Do we need that many gym teachers?
                      Apparently, yes. And it's not be a bad thing. I just completed a Physiology course and the prediction over the next 30 years is that 70% of the American population will be type 2 diabetics. The best deterrent to combating type 2 diabetes is physical exercise. Therefore, getting kids moving early on and keeping them moving through high school is a positive step to curbing this chronic metabolic illness. It's a slow drawn out death, a rotting from the inside out. I wish I would have taken this course 30 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPMonk View Post
                        Apparently, yes. And it's not be a bad thing. I just completed a Physiology course and the prediction over the next 30 years is that 70% of the American population will be type 2 diabetics. The best deterrent to combating type 2 diabetes is physical exercise. Therefore, getting kids moving early on and keeping them moving through high school is a positive step to curbing this chronic metabolic illness. It's a slow drawn out death, a rotting from the inside out. I wish I would have taken this course 30 years ago.
                        Getting kids to exercise more than their thumbs and eyeballs will be the challenge for the 21st century. Good luck with that. I'll be long gone before that particular dystopia sets in.

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post
                          Getting kids to exercise more than their thumbs and eyeballs will be the challenge for the 21st century. Good luck with that. I'll be long gone before that particular dystopia sets in.
                          My prediction is that video games will become more whole body interactive. I told my kids that my demise would occur when their kids leave the NHL 2035 settings on all star and I get hammered by a check into the boards or 100 mph slap shot while attempting to block a shot. I envisioned player movement to be controlled by body sensors with impact pistons embedded to simulate real game play. Probably longer off than 2035. In the meantime getting kids to move by having gym class and recess is a good start.

Comment

So ... I really don't know which message board to focus on now.

Comment

Originally posted by Ram Tough View Post
                              LOL...In regards to Shepherd I was thinking the same thing. I am bouncing back and forth between the 2 forums. I can't seem to pull myself away fro boatcaptain's bitterness and delusional perception, so I tend to find myself in the MEC more for the time being.

Back to the original topic. I think it is a great move for Shepherd, and also the PSAC. A win-win for both sides. The other programs in the east better pick up their game.

Comment

Originally posted by Ram Tough View Post
                                I still remember the first time I'd ever heard of Shepherd was that playoff game back in (guessing) 1999 or so. Maybe 1998. You guys came up here and won. Miserable day. Rain. Freezing. It was like 9-7 or something ... ended on that real strange play .. returned blocked extra point or something odd. Stadium was empty ... although 18 years later about 4,000 say they were there. Lol.

I still have what's left of the program from that game. I don't remember a lot about the actual game. They all start to blend together after so long. I remember that RB, Damien Beane, was a monster.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X