Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Shepherd

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post
    If that's the case it's the most the RAMS could hope for in the way of a break in schedule. It will be interesting if the 3 CO games will ever be IUP, CALU and SRU. Actually does anyone recall an Eastern school getting those three CO in any recent season. This year's VULCANS schedule with KU, SHIP and WCU is a near equivalent and the only way to avoid it would be to make the state game and drop WCU in week 11...unless WCU is the opponent in that game. My head hurts.
    In 2014, Mercyhurst had West Chester and Bloomsburg. That was the year the crossovers counted in the division standings (the Lakers lost both). If not for that, IIRC, Mercyhurst would have been PSAC West champions with a 6-1 record and not us.

Comment

Looking forward to seeing the West Chester and Shepherd mascots go at it.

Comment

• Comment

You really don't seem to grasp how pathetic the CHEYNEY football program was. ANY MEC school would have been a significant upgrade, but to get the current top team, even if they may not sustain that level, is a +++ addition for the PSAC. Hopefully they will be able to maintain something close to their recent success, but it would take a monumental collapse to get anywhere near the level of the late, lamented WOLVES.

Comment

Shepherd has had success on the regional level since 1998 and were in the national semifinals in 2010, before this three season run. Of Shepherd's three biggest playoff runs, two of them have primarily happened on the road. While it's true that the odds of going undefeated through the PSAC are not nearly as great, Shepherd's program is better funded than the majority of the PSAC and may be the most funded program in the PSAC East. Shepherd will be just fine.

Since this is your first post, which school do you cheer for?

Comment

• Shepherd

Cheyney was the worst athletic program in D2. Watching your team beat them was not fun to watch. It was almost embarrassing.

Joining the PSAC might spark alumni giving for Shepherd. It was a good more for Mercyhurst and St Thugnacious.

Comment

I root for Shepherd and West Virginia University but I do look at both programs critically in terms of their finances, their performance ceilings, etc. Don't underestimate the funding aspect from the WV Legislature - if this move causes a collapse or severe deterioration of the MEC, you're going to lose athletic funding and key support which would be needed for any bond initiatives to improve or construct facilities. Losing Cheyney and adding Shepherd is definitely a win for both Shepherd and the PSAC but there will be collateral damage which should not be dismissed. Something else that may come up, how many varsity sports will Shepherd be required to participate in? If you count women's cheerleading as a varsity team, Shepherd fields 13 teams while Shippensburg fields 20 so does the PSAC have a minimum number of required sports? I am a resident and my taxes support both the state and Shepherd University but I just want to caution those who are only looking at the competition side of this that there is much more to this than simply Shepherd > Cheyney. On a side note though, I have enjoyed the conversations I have read on this board and have found the majority of the comments to be well thought out and point driven. The same cannot be said of the D1 message board of the other college team that I follow.

Comment

Originally posted by 5-Technique View Post
                  I root for Shepherd and West Virginia University but I do look at both programs critically in terms of their finances, their performance ceilings, etc. Don't underestimate the funding aspect from the WV Legislature - if this move causes a collapse or severe deterioration of the MEC, you're going to lose athletic funding and key support which would be needed for any bond initiatives to improve or construct facilities. Losing Cheyney and adding Shepherd is definitely a win for both Shepherd and the PSAC but there will be collateral damage which should not be dismissed. Something else that may come up, how many varsity sports will Shepherd be required to participate in? If you count women's cheerleading as a varsity team, Shepherd fields 13 teams while Shippensburg fields 20 so does the PSAC have a minimum number of required sports? I am a resident and my taxes support both the state and Shepherd University but I just want to caution those who are only looking at the competition side of this that there is much more to this than simply Shepherd > Cheyney. On a side note though, I have enjoyed the conversations I have read on this board and have found the majority of the comments to be well thought out and point driven. The same cannot be said of the D1 message board of the other college team that I follow.
                  Shepherd will not be forced to add other sports. Chauncey Winbush looked out for Shepherd, which is what he's paid to do. It was a no-brainer for Shepherd. The MEC is very fragile, and an opportunity for more conference stability may not come around again.

Comment

I don't think their recent success was even sustainable staying in the MEC. They hit lightning in a bottle in that recruiting class, and had some great leaders/talent on those teams. Really all came together nearly perfectly. The end of last year in the playoffs exposed our lack of depth in the trenches (lots of young guys) and this year without an experienced QB, is going to be a huge transition year. Rams will bounce back quickly, but undefeated regular seasons were never the norm at Shepherd, we just are spoiled with it recently.

Comment

Ship hires Jesse Correll, Shepherd's Offensive Coordinator (as of January). Interesting to see him leave after having been promoted to OC at Shepherd in January. My guess is he took over the responsibilities of OC, but did not get the pay bump to go along with it.

Comment

Originally posted by shiplb54 View Post
                        Ship hires Jesse Correll, Shepherd's Offensive Coordinator (as of January). Interesting to see him leave after having been promoted to OC at Shepherd in January. My guess is he took over the responsibilities of OC, but did not get the pay bump to go along with it.
                        I approve of this hire. Should make the transition seamless with the offense being pretty good again next year if not better than this past season. Coach Morgan did a good job keeping the offense floating but this hire I think brings us back to the seasons of scoring 40+ per game and if the defense continues to make strides we may have another special season coming up. I agree they probably were paying him 30-35k as opposed to the OC at Ship being able to bring in 50-60k and the commute isn't bad at all between Ship and Shepherd so technically his family can stay put and he travels to Ship for work which is a hour commute

Comment

Originally posted by shipfbfan12 View Post
                          I approve of this hire. Should make the transition seamless with the offense being pretty good again next year if not better than this past season. Coach Morgan did a good job keeping the offense floating but this hire I think brings us back to the seasons of scoring 40+ per game and if the defense continues to make strides we may have another special season coming up. I agree they probably were paying him 30-35k as opposed to the OC at Ship being able to bring in 50-60k and the commute isn't bad at all between Ship and Shepherd so technically his family can stay put and he travels to Ship for work which is a hour commute
                          Huge loss for Shepherd. Good luck to Jesse!

Comment

Originally posted by shipfbfan12 View Post
                            Interesting opinion thinking your going to be scoring 40pts a game when your going to be putting a new face under center.....as for Jesse, that's twice he's bailed on his team a couple short months before fall camp opens. Hard to like a guy that shows no loyalty, even to is alma mater. That said, he's a real good OC, should be a good thing for a season or two.

Comment

Originally posted by CUlater View Post
                              Interesting opinion thinking your going to be scoring 40pts a game when your going to be putting a new face under center.....as for Jesse, that's twice he's bailed on his team a couple short months before fall camp opens. Hard to like a guy that shows no loyalty, even to is alma mater. That said, he's a real good OC, should be a good thing for a season or two.
                              We're not talking millions of dollars like D1 athletics, these coaches have to take the best opportunity for their families. From the sounds of it, Ship's offer was simply better. $ speaks. Definitely a blower for Shepherd and the inbound recruits that he recruited, but an unfortunate reality at this level.

Comment

Originally posted by 5-Technique View Post
                                Other than the 10 sports (5 male/5 female or 4 male/6 female) required by the NCAA to maintain active D2 status, no, the PSAC does not have specific number requirements nor a core sports requirement like the MEC and other leagues ... or at least none that I'm aware of.
                                Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X