X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Time to Leave the PSAC?

Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post
    Knew you'd take the bait...
    Not taking the bait. You lost to Lock Haven.

You've become the Cheyney on others' schedules. Congrats.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
      Not taking the bait. You lost to Lock Haven.

You've become the Cheyney on others' schedules. Congrats.
      Wasn't talking to you...Slow your roll, son...

Comment

Wasn't talking to you...Slow your roll, son...

LOL

At IUP we stand together. Take a shot at one ... you get us all.

Comment

He has a point. If IUP is looking for the strongest possible schedule, go independent and schedule top teams from across the country. Of course, you'd incur tremendous transportation costs and a down year could result in 8 losses or so, but the grass is always greener!

And ESU could theoretically move to NAIA and win the men's basketball championship every other year. So that'd be fun. :wink:

Comment

Originally posted by EastStroud13 View Post
            He has a point. If IUP is looking for the strongest possible schedule, go independent and schedule top teams from across the country. Of course, you'd incur tremendous transportation costs and a down year could result in 8 losses or so, but the grass is always greener!

And ESU could theoretically move to NAIA and win the men's basketball championship every other year. So that'd be fun. :wink:

Yeah, the only thing is IUP isn't looking to do any of the rambling theories being discussed on here.

Comment

Originally posted by CHIP72 View Post
              Hell, it's a college football issue, in most conferences at every level.

This issue has actually been mitigated in the PSAC with Cheyney dropping football.
              There was a proposal several years ago to divide D2 football into two, which is no different than what D1 already does. The proposal was not well received.

Comment

Knew you'd take the bait...

Comment

Yeah, the only thing is IUP isn't looking to do any of the rambling theories being discussed on here.

At all.

Comment

I find it more than a little distasteful that you would "root" for other schools to drop football so your boys have a more competitive schedule. It's not all about IUP. Really it's not.

Comment

Originally posted by jrshooter View Post
                      I find it more than a little distasteful that you would "root" for other schools to drop football so your boys have a more competitive schedule. It's not all about IUP. Really it's not.
                      I don't see it as anybody hoping they drop football. Many certainly hope they would take it more seriously and not be a laughingstock.

The attrition he mentioned may be more just a reality of their economic situations.

When the soul purpose of your program is nothing more than to get 80 more Male students enrolled ...

It's not easy to be terrible for 40 years. If you are trying at all ... it's not easy to be that bad for that long.

Look what the Big East did to Temple. There comes a time when the conference has to say .... sh!t our get off the pot. This isn't intramurals and not everybody gets a trophy.

Comment

I don't see it as anybody hoping they drop football. Many certainly hope they would take it more seriously and not be a laughingstock.

The attrition he mentioned may be more just a reality of their economic situations.

When the soul purpose of your program is nothing more than to get 80 more Male students enrolled ...

It's not easy to be terrible for 40 years. If you are trying at all ... it's not easy to be that bad for that long.

Look what the Big East did to Temple. There comes a time when the conference has to say .... sh!t our get off the pot. This isn't intramurals and not everybody gets a trophy.
                        The only school I'd say fits that description is Seton Hill. For almost every other school football is not just an enrollment driver but a community engagement strategy, a way to get news media mentions, a student programming effort, and a way to encourage alumni donations. I think it would be foolish to walk away from that unless there is financial crisis. I don't believe any of the member schools are in financial crisis now that Cheyney is gone.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
                          Actually trade school enrollment is down as well. Nationally the number of high school age students is down as much as 20%.
                          And college tuition inflation is around 7% compared to the overall economy of 3%-4%. Plus with people changing careers, not just employers, several times throughout their life, a college degree isn't as crucial as it previously was.

Big changes in higher education over the next 20 years, despite government's efforts to ignore the forces.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
                            The only school I'd say fits that description is Seton Hill. For almost every other school football is not just an enrollment driver but a community engagement strategy, a way to get news media mentions, a student programming effort, and a way to encourage alumni donations. I think it would be foolish to walk away from that unless there is financial crisis. I don't believe any of the member schools are in financial crisis now that Cheyney is gone.
                            How many road games have you been to? You ever been to a game at Lock Haven or Millersville? If there is community engagement ... it's real hard to see -- put it that way. I get what you're saying in premise but that's far from what is actually happening in these places.

Putting a bad D3 team on the field yearly is not encouraging alumni donations.

Comment

Originally posted by jrshooter View Post
                              Last edited by BADinPA; 09-25-2018, 09:10 AM.

Comment

1. It's about IUP. :bulgy-eyes:

2. As has been pointed out elsewhere, every conference has "gimme" games. You aren't going to get away from them by moving out.

3. If you do ever find a situation where every game is life-and-death, you're going to need your own trauma unit by Week 9. Attrition, baby. Attrition.

4. The PSAC is never going to split into "have" and "have-not" factions. And it has a history longer than who's the hot hand this decade.

5. I've never quite gotten the desire for having no easy weeks. You play one of the bottom feeders, your guys get to put on a show, you get to see what's behind the front line, and some PT just might keep that depth around for four years.
                                Last edited by jrshooter; 09-25-2018, 10:43 AM.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X