Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

I dunno. Chiappialle was a decent-sized back for Division II.
    5-9, 200. I'll give you, he was more of a power back than a speedster. But he was a bowling ball; Durkin is a brute. I'm thinking he might be a step slow if teams are ready for him, but he's a load.

Either way, I'll give Mac credit. He wasn't going to sit pat and watch 0-4 happen. He did a little coaching.
    Last edited by jrshooter; 09-28-2019, 11:11 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by jrshooter View Post

5-9, 200. I'll give you, he was more of a power back than a speedster. But he was a bowling ball; Durkin is a brute. I'm thinking he might be a step slow if teams are ready for him, but he's a load.

Either way, I'll give Mac credit. He wasn't going to sit pat and watch 0-4 happen. He did a little coaching.
      Mac does a great job, but they're going to have to pick it up or the streak of winning seasons comes to an end. West Chester, Shepherd and Kutztown certainly look like losses at this point, and ESU seems to be playing pretty well.

Comment

• Ok. These PSAC schools IUP included need to take some pride in the delivery of the video feed free or not. The Boro game was a train wreck . College kids hopefully just doing it for fun and not as a career. The Boro tandem sounded like it was there first football game they ever saw live. Don't understand how a program like West Liberty can deliver top notch service with quality feed and announcers and not one PSAC school except for the Rock who have the Brains to incorporate there grown men experienced announcers who actually know the team and history. It would be tremendous if IUP and others who have radio announcers to incorporate it into the telecast. Can not be that hard in 2019...
        c'mon man

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP412 View Post

Ok. These PSAC schools IUP included need to take some pride in the delivery of the video feed free or not. The Boro game was a train wreck . College kids hopefully just doing it for fun and not as a career. The Boro tandem sounded like it was there first football game they ever saw live. Don't understand how a program like West Liberty can deliver top notch service with quality feed and announcers and not one PSAC school except for the Rock who have the Brains to incorporate there grown men experienced announcers who actually know the team and history. It would be tremendous if IUP and others who have radio announcers to incorporate it into the telecast. Can not be that hard in 2019...
          c'mon man
          It's embarrassing. No other way to say it. I actually find it insulting they make their (few) actual fans listen to it.

The Boro broadcast yesterday was just off the charts horrendous.

If they want to use students ... use students. But at least be somewhat prepared. Pronounce names correctly. Know a little about football.

I will say the broadcast up there stole the show yesterday. It was much more entertaining than that ugly game.

If you don't want to be seen as being the bush leagues of college athletics ... don't act like it.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

They are also playing real teams weekly. Just sayin'.

The PSAC is a mo fo. You don't get West Lib and Glenville anymore.

Comment

• So the real difference isn't that SHEP can't compete in the PSAC. More that there is much less room for error. You can't let a team as solid as KUTZ ,down by 14 early, work their way back. And with DIGALBO at QB that is a recipe for disaster. VULCANS fans know.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

It's embarrassing. No other way to say it. I actually find it insulting they make their (few) actual fans listen to it.

The Boro broadcast yesterday was just off the charts horrendous.

If they want to use students ... use students. But at least be somewhat prepared. Pronounce names correctly. Know a little about football.

I will say the broadcast up there stole the show yesterday. It was much more entertaining than that ugly game.

If you don't want to be seen as being the bush leagues of college athletics ... don't act like it.
                definitely, Courtney:laugh:

Comment

• Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post
                  definitely, Courtney:laugh:
                  Definitely, Courtney, Definitely! I think I heard that in my nightmares Saturday night.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP412 View Post

Ok. These PSAC schools IUP included need to take some pride in the delivery of the video feed free or not. The Boro game was a train wreck . College kids hopefully just doing it for fun and not as a career. The Boro tandem sounded like it was there first football game they ever saw live. Don't understand how a program like West Liberty can deliver top notch service with quality feed and announcers and not one PSAC school except for the Rock who have the Brains to incorporate there grown men experienced announcers who actually know the team and history. It would be tremendous if IUP and others who have radio announcers to incorporate it into the telecast. Can not be that hard in 2019...
                    c'mon man

Comment

• The league mandates that schools offer video...They don't mandate that professionals handle the broadcast...Your best bet is to try and find local radio coverage.

Comment

• Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

So the real difference isn't that SHEP can't compete in the PSAC. More that there is much less room for error. You can't let a team as solid as KUTZ ,down by 14 early, work their way back. And with DIGALBO at QB that is a recipe for disaster. VULCANS fans know.
                        Perfect Synopsis!

Comment

• Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post
                          The league mandates that schools offer video...They don't mandate that professionals handle the broadcast...Your best bet is to try and find local radio coverage.
                          The webcasts are relatively new for these schools and, yes, it is a flawed process right now.

For all schools' webcasts across all sports I think what the powers that be need to realize is that they aren't just reaching the home team fans - often, there can be more fans of the opposing team listening in, as well as interested 3rd party folks. Don't be such a homer! Familiarize yourself with the opposing team, their history, and their players beforehand. If you don't (and they don't) it just makes for a hokey presentation from the get-go.

In terms of the IUP webcasts that I usually tune into, it seems like they are schooled in the technical aspects of doing the broadcast, e,g, how the respective announcers interact, their timing, how they present when they are on camera, etc. It's the content that is lacking. One would think if a student took the initiative to do this that they would be better prepared. Preparation is a key part of the job they are striving to do.

Also, the IUP webcasts are produced by the Communications Media department which is highly respected. I sense the students involved need closer faculty supervision. Or, is it possible the faculty advisors aren't really practitioners themselves?

Note: I don't want to be too critical and/or discourage these kids. In some cases, some tweaks ought to do it. In other cases, though, a little more than tweaks are needed. In general, I think it's a learning experience for them and that is what it's all about.
                          Last edited by iupgroundhog; 09-30-2019, 11:40 AM.

Comment

The league mandates that schools offer video...They don't mandate that professionals handle the broadcast...Your best bet is to try and find local radio coverage.
                            And yinz are basically making excuses for poor performance. I stand by what the others have said; take some daggone pride in what is put out there.

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

The webcasts are relatively new for these schools and, yes, it is a flawed process right now.

For all schools' webcasts across all sports I think what the powers that be need to realize is that they aren't just reaching the home team fans - often, there can be more fans of the opposing team listening in, as well as interested 3rd party folks. Don't be such a homer! Familiarize yourself with the opposing team, their history, and their players beforehand. If you don't (and they don't) it just makes for a hokey presentation from the get-go.

In terms of the IUP webcasts that I usually tune into, it seems like they are schooled in the technical aspects of doing the broadcast, e,g, how the respective announcers interact, their timing, how they present when they are on camera, etc. It's the content that is lacking. One would think if a student took the initiative to do this that they would be better prepared. Preparation is a key part of the job they are striving to do.

Also, the IUP webcasts are produced by the Communications Media department which is highly respected. I sense the students involved need closer faculty supervision. Or, is it possible the faculty advisors aren't really practitioners themselves?

Note: I don't want to be too critical and/or discourage these kids. In some cases, some tweaks ought to do it. In other cases, though, a little more than tweaks are needed. In general, I think it's a learning experience for them and that is what it's all about.
                              I know for Edinboro, they sync the radio broadcast to the video. Nothing wrong with that - but I recognize quality isn't what we'd like it to be. At RMU, students do the video broadcast but the radio broadcast is professionally done since its put on commercial radio.

In most cases, this is still a typical college radio broadcast with almost no adult supervision. I'd guess that there weren't auditions of any sort and I'd bet a lot of money that without a specific complaint about impropriety there isn't an adult employee of the university reviewing the broadcast for any reason - especially coaching the students for improvement. Most of these students are merely imitating the limited play-by-play that they consume.

Once Jack Benedict hangs it up, strap in because it will be a wild ride!

Comment

...and it's free.

The kids today don't realize that 25-30 years ago we didn't have the internets and we found out how our teams won by getting the Sunday paper and reading the 20 word blurb about the game buried in the sports section. Now...you can just sit home and stream it on your TV.

That's why I am grateful for the free video feed being 265 miles away from IUP. I don't care that it's a student with a bad yinzer accent who is announcing the game. Again...it's all about perspective. I know what it used to be like...which is to say nothing.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X