Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ship69 View Post
    Hiring a D1 guy is certainly no guaranteed of raising the tide. I recall Millersville hiring Greg Colby from Northwestern a couple of years back (I went to NU after Ship and follow them, so I'm having a lousy football season). Colby's defenses at Northwestern were so porous that some called them the Colby "Swiss cheese" defenses because of all the holes in them. I guess Millersville thought his D1 experience would translate to more success at D2, but it certainly didn't work out that way.
    I'm wary of FBS guys - they don't understand budget constraints. They've never had to raise or split scholarship dollars. They've never had to coach without certain equipment or coached after a 12 hour bus ride and mediocre night's sleep in a hotel. I remember having a conversation with Justin Lustig at Edinboro and he went on for a couple minutes about practice equipment that "nobody in the PSAC had" and it really bothered him that Edinboro didn't have the money for a $5k piece of football practice equipment. That transition from FBS life to actually doing all of the work off the field was a hard turn for him - and probably so for Greg Colby. Somehow Lou Tepper learned to enjoy D2 football - but I do remember hearing from both Edinboro and IUP people that he felt it wasn't his place to fundraise his scholarship dollars.

Comment

I have been watching this board for a long time and the Bloom fans have not been kind at times, especially towards Millersville. I know your nervous and you probably should be; you don't have a head coach. Just relax, if you hire the wrong coach the downward spiral only lasts about 20 years. Eventually you'll get the right coach, like JC Morgan, and things will get better.

Comment

This is not a move that will pay off for Bloom.

Smacks of not understanding the playing field you are playing on.

Comment

If Darragh wanted to keep his job, he would have let go of his OC after last year. This year was not on him. Injuries took a toll on the team, and were down to their 3rd and 4th string RB's after the first game and a half, and was starting a R-FR QB. Lost starting LT and LG on the OL. Starting safety was hurt in the middle of the season and starting DE didn't play one snap this year. Never mind, that this team still only lost to Shephard by 7 and WCU by 3. The team in the second half of the year was vastly different than the first half. Future is still bright with the defense returning 10 of 11 starters and offense bringing back QB and RB and oline with all returning expierience. Difference will be how this new offence adjusts with the players.

Comment

Originally posted by GoldenRam94 View Post
            This is not a move that will pay off for Bloom.

Smacks of not understanding the playing field you are playing on.
            I agree. Succinctly put.

Of course, you never know what might pay off but it's a strange decision.

Because the AD position has come into question I looked him up and it's interesting that his background is entirely in the field of Communications. He hasn't worked in Athletics. He might have a totally different angle on things.

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

I agree. Succinctly put.

Of course, you never know what might pay off but it's a strange decision.

Because the AD position has come into question I looked him up and it's interesting that his background is entirely in the field of Communications. He hasn't worked in Athletics. He might have a totally different angle on things.
              Did we read about different people? https://buhuskies.com/staff-director...l-mcfarland/89

Comment

Originally posted by SBR140 View Post
                I have been watching this board for a long time and the Bloom fans have not been kind at times, especially towards Millersville. I know your nervous and you probably should be; you don't have a head coach. Just relax, if you hire the wrong coach the downward spiral only lasts about 20 years. Eventually you'll get the right coach, like JC Morgan, and things will get better.
                Be sure to clue us all in when that happens at the 'Ville. I'm a JC man, but you don't have much to stand on to this point.

Comment

Anyone familiar with who may be an early favorite for the job? Is this gonna be a cleaning of house or Will assistants be staying around?

Comment

Originally posted by MIAAFAN1985 View Post
                    Anyone familiar with who may be an early favorite for the job? Is this gonna be a cleaning of house or Will assistants be staying around?
                    Way too early. Hiring a coach in the PASSHE is a whole process. They have to follow union rules, etc. (i.e. post the job for X number of days). I think the only way to avoid that is if they stay in-house which doesn't seem likely. If they go outside of Bloomsburg this could easily take 45+ days to resolve.

It will get messy. A post above talked about a lot of players returning. That's a big, big 'maybe' at this point. Coaching departures almost always come with mass player departures, too. They'll get plenty of candidates. Bloomsburg is a nice school and a great community to live.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Way too early. Hiring a coach in the PASSHE is a whole process. They have to follow union rules, etc. (i.e. post the job for X number of days). I think the only way to avoid that is if they stay in-house which doesn't seem likely. If they go outside of Bloomsburg this could easily take 45+ days to resolve.

It will get messy. A post above talked about a lot of players returning. That's a big, big 'maybe' at this point. Coaching departures almost always come with mass player departures, too. They'll get plenty of candidates. Bloomsburg is a nice school and a great community to live.
                      Different sport but it took CAL U 3 weeks to hire DANNY SANCOMB after MACBRIDE resigned suddenly on May 30, 2018. If, as in that case, an ideal candidate pops up, it seems there must be workarounds.

Comment

In case anybody wants to apply the deadline in 12-4-19 at 5 pm. Starting date is 1-1-20. You need 3 years of college coaching experience, which eliminates most high school coaches.. https://ncaamarket.ncaa.org/jobs/rss...-su-220-19-281

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Did we read about different people? https://buhuskies.com/staff-director...l-mcfarland/89
                          Got me. Sometimes I just throw a trial balloon out there. What I was thinking is that his experience is in Communications within Athletics. This coaching move seems more like an on-field performance issue to me. Are they more concerned with how it looks? PR?

Maybe I'm old-fashioned in thinking that AD's are most frequently former coaches. According to the article in the link below coaching is still a common path to the AD job. But it cites finance/fundraising, communications and marketing as common backgrounds for recent AD hires. Of course, the article is about D1 AD's. Thought you might find it interesting.

https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/...ng-column.aspx

Comment

Comment

There were rumors for a while now that Darragh was going to be let go at the end of the season. I was surprised to see how happy some alumni and fans were on the BU Athletics page about his firing. I believe the reasons for him being let go are :
                              1. Off the field issues
                              2. Coaching staff
                              3. Alumni
                              4. Losing record post Coach Hale recruits

I wouldn't be surprised if the BU "opened" head coach position isn't already lined up for someone. I'm pretty sure the firing was done knowing that a replacement coach was ready to take over the program. The national search is just politics/union requirements.

I hope its a former Hale assistant coach.

Comment

Originally posted by Bloom2005 View Post

There were rumors for a while now that Darragh was going to be let go at the end of the season. I was surprised to see how happy some alumni and fans were on the BU Athletics page about his firing. I believe the reasons for him being let go are :
                                1. Off the field issues
                                2. Coaching staff
                                3. Alumni
                                4. Losing record post Coach Hale recruits

I wouldn't be surprised if the BU "opened" head coach position isn't already lined up for someone. I'm pretty sure the firing was done knowing that a replacement coach was ready to take over the program. The national search is just politics/union requirements.

I hope its a former Hale assistant coach.
                                Well we know it's not former Hale assistant coach Darragh, so who do you have in mind? Is Brian McBryan healthy?

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X