Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

IUP Football 2020

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

    Sure but its not as easy of a drive as it is getting to SRU. Get off 79 at the Slippery Rock exit, hang a left and you go into town a couple miles later. Then again, the same could be said for Edinboro and they're not exactly packing them in.
    I just always associated SR as closer to the city. I think most ppl do that may not be as familiar with the area.

    slippery rock in general, from the feel of this forum and nationally with the pub they get nationally occasionally via outlets like ESPN judy seems like a more ‘fun’ school then the rest of the league.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

      Absolutely! I believe GEOGRAPHY takes up 60-70% of this argument.

      People can speculate about academic programs and PASSHE recommendations all they want but the reason WCU in the east and, to a lesser extent, SRU in the west have benefitted in the last 10 years is LOCATION.

      The geographical implications for WCU are obvious. As for SRU, there has been a lot of suburban growth to the north of Pgh. that has actually taken place over a long period of time. That coupled with the trend in staying closer to home for public university students has driven the growth.

      That said, SRU has made a lot of changes to their academic offerings (with the help of IUP, incidentally). They have marketed themselves well, too.

      In this day and age IUP's relative geographic inaccessibility has hurt.

      In addition, while the current IUP Prez has made a lot of progress with the whole STEAM initiative he has not represented IUP well in terms of its growth. I see the current Prez as a good soldier within the PASSHE system but really hasn't done a lot to promote IUP in competitive terms. Not too sure he has those kinds of leadership skills.
      I don’t buy the IUP is hard to get to when 22 and 119 were literally rebuilt and widened over the last 20 years that it’s an easy ride from at least Monroeville on East. Also coming from the East it’s only “back road” from Ebensburg to where the 422 bypass starts East of Indiana. My ride to Indiana is Turnpike/Expressway the whole way until I exit off in Ebensburg. Then it’s the two lane 422 for 15-20 miles until the Indiana bypass. It’s an easy easy ride as long as it’s not snowing coming over the mountains.

      It’s not like IUP is remote like Mansfield.

      Now I will believe Slimey is a bit of a commuter school. Looking at Google maps of their not as nice as IUP campus, it has something in abundance that IUP does not...parking lots. They have lots of parking lots. IUP does not because it’s not a commuter school. West Chester is a commuter school too. Lots of local kids in Chester County are going to WCU and living at home.
      Last edited by IUPNation; 03-07-2020, 08:35 AM.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

        I just always associated SR as closer to the city. I think most ppl do that may not be as familiar with the area.

        slippery rock in general, from the feel of this forum and nationally with the pub they get nationally occasionally via outlets like ESPN judy seems like a more ‘fun’ school then the rest of the league.
        It’s a fun school because the students sit and clap for credit all day long!

        Comment


        • Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

          You can be in Indiana from down Pittsburgh in just about the same time you can be in Slippery Rock. It's actually easy to get from downtown Pittsburgh to Indiana ... straight up 28 and across 422. I do it five days a week.

          Staying out of the news for a year or two may help. I think we underscore IUP's not so stellar reputation far too often in these discussions. It's very real in these parts.
          It’s overblown. Kids can get into trouble just as easy at Pitt or Temple and students aren’t shying away. Penn State has had scandal after scandal and they can’t push kids away. Stuff happens at West Chester every year and it’s not hurting them. The whole IUP has a bad reputation and it’s hurting enrollment seems ludicrous to me. It must be Cheeto voters who spread that nonsense around.

          Its the higher tuition that’s hurting. Price IUP lower than everyone else and the applications will pour in. IUP isn’t a commuter school so it needs to find a way to make an on campus stay more affordable and get kids from throwing their lives away by receiving a useless degree to employers from Slimey.
          Last edited by IUPNation; 03-07-2020, 07:16 AM.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

            It’s overblown. Kids can get into trouble just as easy at Pitt or Temple and students aren’t shying away. Penn State has had scandal after scandal and they can’t push kids away. Stuff happens at West Chester every year and it’s not hurting them. The whole IUP has a bad reputation and it’s hurting enrollment seems ludicrous to me. It must be Cheeto voters who spread that nonsense around.

            Its the higher tuition that’s hurting. Price IUP lower than everyone else and the applications will pour in. IUP isn’t a commuter school so it needs to find a way to make an on campus stay more affordable and get kids from throwing their lives away by receiving a useless degree to employers from Slimey.
            I don't agree with that ...

            You could walk on campus right now and ask 50 students how much their tuition is .... maybe 10 could answer you. Mommy and Daddy pay or it's all loans that kids that age don't care about right now. Those who are fronting their own tuition would know but that's a small number.

            Sounds like finger pointing in every direction. If the Dris can't fix it ... on to the next.

            It's amazing to me people don't think IUP's negative image is playing a part in this epic decline.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

              I don’t buy the IUP is hard to get to when 22 and 119 were literally rebuilt and widened over the last 20 years that it’s an easy ride from at least Monroeville on East. Also coming from the East it’s only “back road” from Ebensburg to where the 422 bypass starts East of Indiana. My ride to Indiana is Turnpike/Expressway the whole way until I exit off in Ebensburg. Then it’s the two lane 422 for 15-20 miles until the Indiana bypass. It’s an easy easy ride as long as it’s not snowing coming over the mountains.

              It’s not like IUP is remote like Mansfield or Clarion.

              Now I will believe Slimey is a bit of a commuter school. Looking at Google maps of their not as nice as IUP campus, it has something in abundance that IUP does not...parking lots. They have lots of parking lots. IUP does not because it’s not a commuter school. West Chester is a commuter school too. Lots of local kids in Chester County are going to WCU and living at home.
              When I was a student at WCU, there were no parking lots. Did they knock down some buildings and put up a parking lot?

              Comment


              • Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

                I don't agree with that ...

                You could walk on campus right now and ask 50 students how much their tuition is .... maybe 10 could answer you. Mommy and Daddy pay or it's all loans that kids that age don't care about right now. Those who are fronting their own tuition would know but that's a small number.

                Sounds like finger pointing in every direction. If the Dris can't fix it ... on to the next.

                It's amazing to me people don't think IUP's negative image is playing a part in this epic decline.
                So what negative image does IUP have that other schools don’t? Kids get robbed and mugged at Temple and they are not having image issues. Penn State is a scandal of the month club member and kids bang down the door to get in. West Chester has had a few crime instances and they have record enrollment. So please tell me why IUP suffers from an enrollment purging image because I really do not understand it. Is it a yinzer thing because we never hear bad news about IUP down this way.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Bart View Post

                  When I was a student at WCU, there were no parking lots. Did they knock down some buildings and put up a parking lot?
                  Parking garage at Church and Sharpless, a fairly decent lot behind the student union, more lots and another garage over by Matlack Street plus I’m sure they utilize the south campus lots.

                  It also helps that SEPTA has a bus route right to campus. They could go over 20k if Regional Rail was restored to West Chester.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

                    I don’t buy the IUP is hard to get to when 22 and 119 were literally rebuilt and widened over the last 20 years that it’s an easy ride from at least Monroeville on East. Also coming from the East it’s only “back road” from Ebensburg to where the 422 bypass starts East of Indiana. My ride to Indiana is Turnpike/Expressway the whole way until I exit off in Ebensburg. Then it’s the two lane 422 for 15-20 miles until the Indiana bypass. It’s an easy easy ride as long as it’s not snowing coming over the mountains.

                    It’s not like IUP is remote like Mansfield.

                    Now I will believe Slimey is a bit of a commuter school. Looking at Google maps of their not as nice as IUP campus, it has something in abundance that IUP does not...parking lots. They have lots of parking lots. IUP does not because it’s not a commuter school. West Chester is a commuter school too. Lots of local kids in Chester County are going to WCU and living at home.
                    Could dig down into the Institutional Research for this. I used to do that sort of thing but for now this is my hunch.

                    College age population within 40 miles of university X income range/secondary school preparation appropriate for state university X regional vs. statewide marketing scope = SRU>IUP.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

                      Could dig down into the Institutional Research for this. I used to do that sort of thing but for now this is my hunch.

                      College age population within 40 miles of university X income range/secondary school preparation appropriate for state university X regional vs. statewide marketing scope = SRU>IUP.
                      I think schools without a branch campus system like PennState, located in or near highly populated areas Where students can commute to, Will fair better than schools that are going to be almost all residential students

                      So yes Slimey will have it easier than IUP.

                      But I ’d still send my kid to IUP because sending them to Slimey is child abuse in my book.

                      If the hazing scandal at PennState isn’t hurting their student applications why are things hurting IUP? I don’t understand it. It makes no sense to me when stuff happens everywhere. Why does it only hurt IUP. I need to understand why only IUP gets penalized.

                      There was a sexual assault in a West Chester dorm three weeks ago. Does that hurt WCU enrollment for next fall?
                      Last edited by IUPNation; 03-07-2020, 11:08 AM.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

                        I think schools without a branch campus system like PennState, located in or near highly populated areas Where students can commute to, Will fair better than schools that are going to be almost all residential students

                        So yes Slimey will have it easier than IUP.

                        But I ’d still send my kid to IUP because sending them to Slimey is child abuse in my book.

                        If the hazing scandal at PennState isn’t hurting their student applications why are things hurting IUP? I don’t understand it. It makes no sense.
                        Well ... to say it nicely ... IUP isn't in the same stratosphere as PSU.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

                          Well ... to say it nicely ... IUP isn't in the same stratosphere as PSU.
                          So a parent won’t send their kid to IUP because of a “reputation” but they’ll send their son to PennState who may get sodomized with a broom stick during a hazing incident or alcohol poisoned in a frat house?

                          Are there published reports of students leaving IUP because of a bad reputation? You guys are out there so I am assuming this is all factual but I’m not understanding it because bad things happen at many schools. I’m just trying to understand if all 900 students who left IUP last year was due to the bad reputation.





                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

                            I don't agree with that ...

                            You could walk on campus right now and ask 50 students how much their tuition is .... maybe 10 could answer you. Mommy and Daddy pay or it's all loans that kids that age don't care about right now. Those who are fronting their own tuition would know but that's a small number.

                            Sounds like finger pointing in every direction. If the Dris can't fix it ... on to the next.

                            It's amazing to me people don't think IUP's negative image is playing a part in this epic decline.
                            lets just say the different admin meetings during the last month at IUP have not been as cordial as usual - to put it nicely.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

                              Could dig down into the Institutional Research for this. I used to do that sort of thing but for now this is my hunch.

                              College age population within 40 miles of university X income range/secondary school preparation appropriate for state university X regional vs. statewide marketing scope = SRU>IUP.
                              Yep, this didn't matter when IUP was at capacity, and looking to recruit more statewide, and had a huge group of students from Philly. Then IUP was trying to distinguish itself academically from the rest of the PASSHE, When the number of students crashed, Kids that were on the Pitt and PSU waiting lists, or didn't quite get in, who used to choose IUP as a respectable alternative, now are getting in to the bigger schools. IUP mistakenly in my opinion, took more at risk students since we had the seats, and it lost any pretense of being academically different than the other PASSHE schools.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

                                I think schools without a branch campus system like PennState, located in or near highly populated areas Where students can commute to, Will fair better than schools that are going to be almost all residential students

                                So yes Slimey will have it easier than IUP.

                                But I ’d still send my kid to IUP because sending them to Slimey is child abuse in my book.

                                If the hazing scandal at PennState isn’t hurting their student applications why are things hurting IUP? I don’t understand it. It makes no sense to me when stuff happens everywhere. Why does it only hurt IUP. I need to understand why only IUP gets penalized.

                                There was a sexual assault in a West Chester dorm three weeks ago. Does that hurt WCU enrollment for next fall?
                                Because Penn State's academic reputation makes up for its scandals. IUP's academic reputation does not.

                                Comment

                                Ad3

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X